The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

I was driving on my way to work this morning and spotted a honda accor

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='755137' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:33 PM
Hmmm.
Are you kidding me? That looks exactly like a BMW give or take $30K. Damn, I should've had a V8.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='755194' date='Dec 29 2008, 03:40 PM
Are you kidding me? That looks exactly like a BMW give or take $30K. Damn, I should've had a V8.

and all you need to do is buy rice for the gas tank!

WHAT A STEAL!

I was driving on my way to work this morning and spotted a honda accor-rice_burner_1_.jpg
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='755137' date='Dec 29 2008, 07:33 PM
Hmmm.

HEY, YOU THINK MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU COULD MAKE THEM FACING THE SAME WAY!!! JEEESH! LOL
Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='755144' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:37 PM
BMW's commercials are the best. They kinda go like this:

"Why bother with the 'near-luxury' brands when you could be driving a certified pre-owned BMW, the ultimate driving machine, for the same price?"

AND THEY'RE RIGHT. BMW owns.
I can't believe what I am reading. Are you guys for real? You're bashing on a Honda Accord because you think that it looks like a BMW? First of all, Honda is not emitatting BMW, it is simply a form of evolution from previous models. Maybe you haven't noticed but honda upgrades their models every 4 years or so, and it have been evolving that shape from 1991 to now. The fact that some car look like some other car doesn't necessarilly mean they copied it.

Second, and please listen to me very carefully. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Honda Accord. Have anyone here making the comments driven out lately? I doubt it. Because had you driven one, you would not bash it like its nothing compared to BMW. Honda Accord is in a completely different class (from the 5 series), and it does a hell of a good job at being there. It costs less to buy, and to operate than the 5 series, it is way more reliable. People who own Accords, don't come on message boards and complain that their "iDrive" threw a code, and their car stopped on a highway.

For those people leasing their BMW's, good luck when you exceed the kms. $0.25/km ... Accord $0.08/km. Compared to a 530i, Honda Accord is faster in acceleration, and it can be had with a 6spd manual, and LSD ... did I mention it is cheaper to buy?

I hate when people become so caught up with themselves that they can't see past their own noses. BMW is not the greatest car in the world, get it!!?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='755253' date='Dec 29 2008, 03:36 PM
I can't believe what I am reading. Are you guys for real? You're bashing on a Honda Accord because you think that it looks like a BMW? First of all, Honda is not emitatting BMW, it is simply a form of evolution from previous models. Maybe you haven't noticed but honda upgrades their models every 4 years or so, and it have been evolving that shape from 1991 to now. The fact that some car look like some other car doesn't necessarilly mean they copied it.

Second, and please listen to me very carefully. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Honda Accord. Have anyone here making the comments driven out lately? I doubt it. Because had you driven one, you would not bash it like its nothing compared to BMW. Honda Accord is in a completely different class (from the 5 series), and it does a hell of a good job at being there. It costs less to buy, and to operate than the 5 series, it is way more reliable. People who own Accords, don't come on message boards and complain that their "iDrive" threw a code, and their car stopped on a highway.

For those people leasing their BMW's, good luck when you exceed the kms. $0.25/km ... Accord $0.08/km. Compared to a 530i, Honda Accord is faster in acceleration, and it can be had with a 6spd manual, and LSD ... did I mention it is cheaper to buy?

I hate when people become so caught up with themselves that they can't see past their own noses. BMW is not the greatest car in the world, get it!!?
You're right in the respect that a lot of other car manufacturers have excellent build quality. There is nothing wrong with owning a Honda, I have owned several and I loved the reliability.

That being said however, I believe this new Accord sedan design did blatantly rip off several key design aspects from BMW, and others. When the previous body style Accord came out, the Coupe version looked VERY Mercedes. I even saw a silve Accord coupe parked in front of a bar in Fullerton that had a Mercedes symbol on the rear and it made me hold up my entire group so I could figure out why looking at this thing made me feel dizzy (maybe it was the Hefeweizen?).

When people pay so much to drive a certain class of cars, it's almost insulting when other manufacturers copy some of the design aspects because in my opinion, cars like the E60 are earned. I know I work very hard for my money, and I am sure the same applies to the rest of the board who weren't gifted their cars by family (nothing wrong with that either).

I mean really, what's the point in these members spending $50k on a car that was copied by the Japanese for half the price?

And as far as drivability goes, there is no comparing ANY Asian built car. I have owned Honda, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes and now BMW. The build quality, the sound the door makes when it shuts, the way the panels are fitted in the interior, the paint, the lighting, the features, German cars have soul - something about the programming and the aesthetics make you feel like the car is there to serve you instead of just being a cage to get you down the road. Even something as subtle as the red LED's that illuminate the inside of my car at night leaves me with the impression that the designers of these cars actually spend time in them.

Even taking FWD vs/ RWD into consideration, there is no contest. I won a RWD Asian import, that supposedly at one point was something to be proud of. Driving my two cars back to back I get in the Inifiniti and it feels clunky and awkward. It takes driver input and executes it without thought. My BMW learned my driving style, the transmission does what it thinks I might want relative to the driving situation, I feel like I have a co-pilot who is making on the fly adjustments to ensure that whatever driving mood I am in is accommodated.

I feel all this and I have a pretty base model vehicle in comparison to other members here - I can only imagine what their driving experience is like.

There is no way you can compare the essence of owning a Premium German vehicle to any Asian car. At least not the ones I have driven, the new Lexus vehicles look like they are making progress - but that comes down to drivers opinion.

What Honda and Hyundai are up to is underhanded.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='755298' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:25 PM
You're right in the respect that a lot of other car manufacturers have excellent build quality. There is nothing wrong with owning a Honda, I have owned several and I loved the reliability.

That being said however, I believe this new Accord sedan design did blatantly rip off several key design aspects from BMW, and others. When the previous body style Accord came out, the Coupe version looked VERY Mercedes. I even saw a silve Accord coupe parked in front of a bar in Fullerton that had a Mercedes symbol on the rear and it made me hold up my entire group so I could figure out why looking at this thing made me feel dizzy (maybe it was the Hefeweizen?).

When people pay so much to drive a certain class of cars, it's almost insulting when other manufacturers copy some of the design aspects because in my opinion, cars like the E60 are earned. I know I work very hard for my money, and I am sure the same applies to the rest of the board who weren't gifted their cars by family (nothing wrong with that either).

I mean really, what's the point in these members spending $50k on a car that was copied by the Japanese for half the price?

And as far as drivability goes, there is no comparing ANY Asian built car. I have owned Honda, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes and now BMW. The build quality, the sound the door makes when it shuts, the way the panels are fitted in the interior, the paint, the lighting, the features, German cars have soul - something about the programming and the aesthetics make you feel like the car is there to serve you instead of just being a cage to get you down the road. Even something as subtle as the red LED's that illuminate the inside of my car at night leaves me with the impression that the designers of these cars actually spend time in them.

Even taking FWD vs/ RWD into consideration, there is no contest. I won a RWD Asian import, that supposedly at one point was something to be proud of. Driving my two cars back to back I get in the Inifiniti and it feels clunky and awkward. It takes driver input and executes it without thought. My BMW learned my driving style, the transmission does what it thinks I might want relative to the driving situation, I feel like I have a co-pilot who is making on the fly adjustments to ensure that whatever driving mood I am in is accommodated.

I feel all this and I have a pretty base model vehicle in comparison to other members here - I can only imagine what their driving experience is like.

There is no way you can compare the essence of owning a Premium German vehicle to any Asian car. At least not the ones I have driven, the new Lexus vehicles look like they are making progress - but that comes down to drivers opinion.

What Honda and Hyundai are up to is underhanded.

Well put!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Gotta laugh at all the 5 series knockoffs, pontiac G8, accord, etc.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='755137' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:33 PM
Hmmm.
I reversed iCharles's picture of the accord and lined it up with the picture of the E60. Other than the headlights and the placement of the front wheels, the cars look amazingly similar. Note the outlines of the doors, the shape of the windows, the tail lights, the shark fin...

I was driving on my way to work this morning and spotted a honda accor-accord_e60.jpg
Old 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Contributors

Its a total rip-off. I wasn't trying to be snobbish when I made that comment its just damn true. Its like driving a Hundai Genesis and feeling good about it. I'd put a bag over my head while driving down the road. Its a Friggen HUNDAI FFS!

Lets face it. Anything other than a BMW is like having a blow-up doll vs. a real woman. You can inflate to 30 PSI but in the end its not going to cook you dinner.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='755253' date='Dec 29 2008, 03:36 PM

The Accord styling has been compared to the BMW 5 series in several automotive publications. I had an older accord coupe and an Acura TL type S. Both very well built cars and reliable but since I bought a BMW 3 cars ago I have not looked back even though the Hondas where more reliable they just don't compare to BMW in terms of the driving experience. And sorry but I just don't like the look of the new Accords. The last generation Honda coupe was a beautiful desgin. The current coupe looks like a cross between a 5 series beaten with an ugly stick and a Hyundai...

Quick Reply: I was driving on my way to work this morning and spotted a honda accor