The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='702399' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure I buy your VW/Hyundai comparison. Might I remind you that VW AG is the largest auto maker in Europe (3rd largest in the world) and counts among it's marques, Audi, Bentley, Bugatti & Lamborghini, I'd roll out that lineup against the manufacturers you mentioned above any day, (I'll leave the Porsche angle out....still in flux I think.) Hyundai is not even in the same universe. As for image, I think VW does quite well with todays consumer. Their products, especially the GLX variants, have been outstanding in fit, finish, engineering and quality of materials. The failure of the Phaeton was due to hubris on the part of Ferdinand Pi?ch who, having revived and elevated the fortunes on VW AG thought it a good idea to set out after MB's S-class instead of building on the Jetta & Passat's success. The result was a car with stunning features/options, great looking interior, dull uninspired exterior and performance, high price tag, and strange unpronounceable name to boot. A classic case of overreaching.
I hear ya. What I was trying to point out...maybe poorly...is that name brand counts for more than just bang for the buck.

You're totally right...the Phaeton was over reaching. No one's going to buy into a luxury Volkswagen. A VW is a Beetle, Passat, Golf, etc..., much like a luxury Hyundai is going to be a hard sell.

Take it for what it's worth, which is about $0.02
Old 10-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

A Hyundai will always be a Hyundai :thumbsdown:
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

^true

ill go test drive on of these things jsut to see whats all the hype,not like im going to buy it haha
Old 10-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by southgate' post='703005' date='Oct 25 2008, 01:10 PM
^true

ill go test drive on of these things jsut to see whats all the hype,not like im going to buy it haha
you never know.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

I'm not sure why there is so much animosity towards a car and a brand that most of us, if not all of us will not buy and drive in the near future. Me included! The fact that Genesis ads, marketing campaigns, pictures, and the like evokes so much reaction from us is proof that Hyundai marketers have done their jobs. Whether Hyundai compares the Genesis to a 7 Series, 5 Series, S-Class, E-Class, Boxster or whatever shouldn't be upsetting. Comparative marketing is the oldest methodology in the auto sales business. Ever since a competitor to the Ford Model T came out, there were comparisons. If this allows Hyundai to sell more cars, more power to them. In the end, the automotive industry or any other industry for that matter is a business~
Old 10-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

edit
Old 10-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

they missed the coffee maker
Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

I will tell you guys Hyundai has come a long way and any of you business types here know there business plan/model has changed in a remarkable way. Forget the Comparison to BMW/MB/AUDI crap, they are doing great things and they are definitely going in the right direction. Remember what this car company went from! They were bottom of the barrel and knowing many current Hyundai owners they have a lot of satisfied customers now. The Genesis has a lot of good build qualities for their first try in this area. It is probably not gonna take any of us out of our e60, but nonetheless a phenomenal car in its own right. If any of us turned a corporation around like Hyundai did we would probably be driven to work everyday and I don't mean by our wives/girlfriends/ or trunk monkeys.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by radz182' post='704287' date='Oct 27 2008, 04:21 PM
they missed the coffee maker
You didn't see it tucked away in between the seats behind the iPod Touch?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lightfytr' post='704339' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:16 PM
I will tell you guys Hyundai has come a long way and any of you business types here know there business plan/model has changed in a remarkable way. Forget the Comparison to BMW/MB/AUDI crap, they are doing great things and they are definitely going in the right direction. Remember what this car company went from! They were bottom of the barrel and knowing many current Hyundai owners they have a lot of satisfied customers now. The Genesis has a lot of good build qualities for their first try in this area. It is probably not gonna take any of us out of our e60, but nonetheless a phenomenal car in its own right. If any of us turned a corporation around like Hyundai did we would probably be driven to work everyday and I don't mean by our wives/girlfriends/ or trunk monkeys.
Well put!

I don't think most car enthusiasts (and I mean car enthusiasts and not BMW, Porsche, MBZ, Audi, or Ferrari enthusiasts) have a problem with the Genesis as a car. What I do think is that many people (including myself) still have a stigma about the Hyundai brand. No doubt that most if not all of us would not run down to our local Hyundai dealer and trade our E60s for a Genesis. However, you are right in saying that the Genesis in its own right is a 'good' car and it is a tremendous attempt by Hyundai in a new market segment.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis Sedan