The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

The Horsepower War or Game

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Hi all,

I'm reading many posts and writing a few too.

Ah, the power subject. It seems that most manufacturers are really increasing HP accross their entire model range. In fact, the musclar car era of the late 60s and early 70s pales by comparison. This current era of extreme performance has no end in sight, short of a suprise government led intervention. The auto press, as in the case with real world affairs, has done little to help.

Do you think its gotten out of hand?

What ever happened to the concerns about the environment, safety and reliance carbon based fuels. While I've decided to buy a 545 and might sound like I'm crying wolf, my decision was based on many factors such as the car's ground breaking technology, styling (a newly admitted Bangle fan), performance, and decent fuel economy. Automobile virtues I admire, and no doubt held by most BMWers, are handling agility from lightweight construction and high power from economical and truly amazing engine technology.

The upcoming release of the R6 engine is a truly amazing development, offering a lighweight 3.0 liter engine that propels a great handling midsize car 0-60 in 6.5 and offering 32 mph on the highway.

Is this impressive and important progress?

I tend to think so. Having 6 and 7 liter cars going 0-60 in 4.5 or 5 seconds is not progress to me.

Do we care about Hemi Chrysler 300s and (finally) better handling MBs with big HP.

IMHO, BMW has the best mix and hopefully stays the course. And yes, there is nothing wrong with someone ordering a new M5.

Just a few thoughts. Back to work.

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Nice post.

Even with my 'vette, I'm getting over 25mpg on the highway.

The roads in L.A. are atrocious and the vehicle of choice should be a Mid-size SUV for driving comfort. As others have reported: bent rims, blown tires, scratched front spoilers and other bad stuff caused by crummy road conditions has caused a lot of the driving pleasure to be taken out of having a really nice car.

I guess I should put 17" rims/tires on my ride to increase the comfort, just like many of the non-sport owners reported.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='Jan 13 2005, 05:05 PM
Having 6 and 7 liter cars going 0-60 in 4.5 or 5 seconds is not progress to me.?

[snapback]78850[/snapback]
Auto manufacturers will continue to build these high hp cars until they become too expensive to purchase and own (i.e., sales decrease). The increased ownership expense of a high hp car can occur primarily through low mileage (increased gas cost), liabity insurance and government regulation (taxes). So far, the US gov't has not taken a serious interest in regulating high hp cars, but this could change quickly (most gov'ts have never seen a tax they don't like -- especially taxing things they think are bad, like smoking).

High hp, whether or not useful, will always sell because of the pervasive "one up" mentality of performance car buyers. Even in this forum, it is clear that many members want to make sure that they have a higher hp car than the car driven by their neighbors, coworkers or others, even if they would not buy their neighbor's car in the first place -- they want to make sure that no MB owner can ever claim to own a comparable model with higher hp (i.e., my 530i has more hp than your E320; my 545i has more hp than your E500; my M5 has more hp than your E55; etc.).

The Japanese understand this "one up" mentality clearly, so they have really jacked up their V6 engines to 300hp and sell them for $10K less than comparable European cars -- thus, if a BMW or MB owner sneers at the Infiniti or Acura owner with a "comparable" car, they simply remind you that their car has greater hp for less $ (implying that you're an idiot for buying a more costly car with less hp). Nothing new here....
Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Members

It's out of control
Old 01-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Members

Interesting thing...yes, the HP in cars is growning, but it appears that gas mileage is staying the same, or perhaps even getting better. This should be due to technology like 50 over head cams and 1,000 valves per cylinder, etc. - so you get more HP but also good gas mileage.

I must say, driving a 545 in the city is just a waste - way too much power. It is actually very frustrating. You can almost hear the car whisper "Come on...step on the gas more, a little more, come on now, just punch it." And for what? So that you step on the brakes just as soon as you slammed on the gas?

Now, when your on the open highway.....well....now that's another story - let 'er rip!

Zachary
Old 01-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya everyone should just back off and let BMW be the ONLY performance sports sedan!
Old 01-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

Thats whats nice about the 525. I dont have that problem. Ill trade if you want.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

[bad joke]

You know, Microsoft said to GM "If car technology evolved as fast as computer technology, then cars would have thousands of horsepower and could go lightspeed"

GM replied "Yeah but we don't want to crash 2 times a day"

[/bad joke]

Do we care about Hemi Chrysler 300s and (finally) better handling MBs with big HP.
NO WE DO NOT.

-The Pentium Guy
Old 01-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 14 2005, 02:26 AM
NO WE DO NOT.?

-The Pentium Guy
[snapback]78926[/snapback]

You are absolutely right!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='Jan 13 2005, 03:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm reading many posts and writing a few too.?

Ah, the power subject.? It seems that most manufacturers are really increasing HP accross their entire model range.? In fact, the musclar car era of the late 60s and early 70s pales by comparison.? This current era of extreme performance has no end in sight, short of a suprise government led intervention.? The auto press, as in the case with real world affairs, has done little to help.?

Do you think its gotten out of hand??

What ever happened to the concerns about the environment, safety and reliance carbon based fuels.? While I've decided to buy a 545 and might sound like I'm crying wolf,? my decision was based on many factors such as the car's ground breaking technology, styling (a newly admitted Bangle fan), performance, and decent fuel economy.? Automobile virtues I admire, and no doubt held by most BMWers, are handling agility from lightweight construction and high power from economical and truly amazing engine technology.?

The upcoming release of the R6 engine is a truly amazing development, offering? a lighweight 3.0 liter engine that propels a great handling midsize car 0-60 in 6.5 and offering 32 mph on the highway.

Is this impressive and important progress?

I tend to think so.? Having 6 and 7 liter cars going 0-60 in 4.5 or 5 seconds is not progress to me.?

IMHO, BMW has the best mix and hopefully stays the course.? And yes, there is nothing wrong with someone ordering a new M5.?

Just a few thoughts.? Back to work.?

CVT Benhogan?
[snapback]78850[/snapback]

I think it's fine, cars have never been cleaner either with respect to hydrocarbon emissions. Whatever it takes to get people out of SUV's, which don't only consume more (they have virtually the same or bigger engines with more weight), but they are more of a saftey concern due to rollover and bumper height differences. The higher horsepower cars are usually available in a trim form with a much higher price tag so as to retain exclusivity, but more to your point, choice for the masses...not everyone has to, nor will the majority choose to, take the big liter engines.

As a musclecar fan of the 60's/early 70's, I never thought this day would return!

Quick Reply: The Horsepower War or Game