The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

E60 vs. M35/M45

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Like many of you, I was annoyed after reading the comparison of the GS430/545i/M45 to find that they ranked the M45 over the 545. Does not really matter as I am extremely happy with my 545, but none the less it is annoying.

My neighbor just leased a M35 (turned in his 325i).

My observations:
The M35 is a nice looking car, but it looks like a copy of the E60. Not sure how they can say it ranks better in styling. I am not crazy about the chrome window trim - looks a lot like a 7 series.

The interior is nice, but does have a lot more buttons. The one I saw had a biege interior and the wood trim was very red. Looks more luxurious, but can not say I like it better.

He had the sport package with 19" rims and the tires where well matched to the car.

However, an interesting comment is that he really liked the ride, but missed the handling and sport feel of his 325. He said the car feels really BIG.

Now, I am not an expert on the 3 series, but my 5 feels anything but a big car. The driveability and handling is like a sports car, but still very comfortable on my 38 mile freeway comute.

Bottom line I am still very happy with my decision. And, after looking at the car, I have less and less confidence in the car writers.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jul 7 2005, 09:43 AM
And, after looking at the car, I have less and less confidence in the car writers.
[snapback]146582[/snapback]
It all depends on which auto maker provides them with better lodging, food and entertainment during the press release. Oh yeah, also a complete draft of the "great" things that are to be mentioned.

Apprarently BMW has been quite stingy on these perks.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

The main reason that the 545 lost in the comparison was subjectively related to styling.

As far as comparing it to a 3 series, the 5 does well for a large car, but doesn't come close to a 330 in handling. It is bigger and feels heavier.

I took the new 3 series on a track and it drives great, very zippy and balanced, but too small. Beacause of its smaller size it does handle better, but can't keep up with the 5 in the straight-aways.

I chose the 5 because I prefer luxury and I do find the 3 series too small, and I am not a big guy (5'10", 155 lbs.).

In the end they are all great cars.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

And don't forget those advertising dollars! Possibly the biggest factor of all.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jul 7 2005, 09:43 AM
Like many of you, I was annoyed after reading the comparison of the GS430/545i/M45 to find that they ranked the M45 over the 545.? Does not really matter as I am extremely happy with my 545, but none the less it is annoying.

However, an interesting comment is that he really liked the ride, but missed the handling and sport feel of his 325.? He said the car feels really BIG.

Bottom line I am still very happy with my decision.? And, after looking at the car, I have less and less confidence in the car writers.
Don't be annoyed. As long as you are happy with your own car which you live with everyday.

I don't know if you've watched "5th Gear" on Speed Channel. They reviewed the 5 series... and the huppie guy (I dont remember his name) said something about showing up in a Bimmer 5er is like walking to a party with a super model who needs no introduction. wherease if you show up with some plain jane, you would want to tell everyone, oh, she's a great cook and really good in bed, and good with the kids and oh yes, she's a doctor etc....

I think Infiniti makes good cars. Actually, I'm considering getting a G35x for winter to replace my 04 GTI. It?s comfortable, sounds good, smart enough to blip the throttle when you downshift the autotranny manually?.and then there?s the intelligent key which is like Benz?s keyless go?.. and thousands less than a 330x. (this just proves the G35 is no super model !!)

Enjoy your ride wax and shine and put your neighbour to shame
Old 07-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

German vs. Japanese (no comparison) :thumbsdown:
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Jul 7 2005, 12:26 PM
German vs. Japanese (no comparison)? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]146621[/snapback]
Notice no American in the fight
As it has been so it shall always be
Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

I am really surprised someone actually thinks M45 is better looking than 5. 5 has the sharp eagle/jaguar look while M45 looks like a squeezed frog.

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Jul 7 2005, 12:05 PM
The main reason that the 545 lost in the comparison was subjectively related to styling.
[snapback]146591[/snapback]
Old 07-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jul 7 2005, 10:43 AM
Like many of you, I was annoyed after reading the comparison of the GS430/545i/M45 to find that they ranked the M45 over the 545.? Does not really matter as I am extremely happy with my 545, but none the less it is annoying.

My neighbor just leased a M35 (turned in his 325i).

My observations:
The M35 is a nice looking car, but it looks like a copy of the E60.? Not sure how they can say it ranks better in styling.? I am not crazy about the chrome window trim - looks a lot like a 7 series.

The interior is nice, but does have a lot more buttons.? The one I saw had a biege interior and the wood trim was very red.? Looks more luxurious, but can not say I like it better.

He had the sport package with 19" rims and the tires where well matched to the car.?

However, an interesting comment is that he really liked the ride, but missed the handling and sport feel of his 325.? He said the car feels really BIG.

Now, I am not an expert on the 3 series, but my 5 feels anything but a big car.? The driveability and handling is like a sports car, but still very comfortable on my 38 mile freeway comute.

Bottom line I am still very happy with my decision.? And, after looking at the car, I have less and less confidence in the car writers.

Based on the recent mags, I feel your pain.

IMHO, the 5er is a much better looking design, both inside and out. The sports package on the 5er is a must.

As for your comparison, its ill-formed because you haven't driven the M yet and your relying on another person's opinion. A 3 series to M is competely apples to potaTOES.

Just my two cents.

Benhogan
Old 07-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Well styling....that depends on each individual's taste and is hence unfair to say whether one would prefer the infiniti or the 5.....

Best thing to do is drive both around a couple of corners and see how the 5 beat the crap out of the infiniti....even if not by much...

Quick Reply: E60 vs. M35/M45