The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Do other manufacturers revise cars post sale?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

My car is radically better than when I bought it. The i-drive is faster and revised, the transmission is much much smoother and the most important update was the throttle mapping which coincided with the LCI introduction. I had a laundry list of things that needed improvement on my car when I first got it (relative to my last BMW) and since then, BMW has solved 1/2 of the items on that list (I had the other 1/2 addressed at my expense).

Do other manufacturers do this? I'd be shocked if Mercedes and Lexus or Acura didn't but Audi, Volvo, Saab? For example, has Audi produced software updates for MMI that do anything other than correct problems? The Audi drivers I know look at me like I have four heads when I ask.

Just curious...

DRP
Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='520314' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:33 AM
My car is radically better than when I bought it. The i-drive is faster and revised, the transmission is much much smoother and the most important update was the throttle mapping which coincided with the LCI introduction. I had a laundry list of things that needed improvement on my car when I first got it (relative to my last BMW) and since then, BMW has solved 1/2 of the items on that list (I had the other 1/2 addressed at my expense).

Do other manufacturers do this? I'd be shocked if Mercedes and Lexus or Acura didn't but Audi, Volvo, Saab? For example, has Audi produced software updates for MMI that do anything other than correct problems? The Audi drivers I know look at me like I have four heads when I ask.

Just curious...

DRP
Virtually every modern car has upgradeable software and/or firmware. Even my wife's minivan
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I know M-B routinely updates things like BMW does but I can also say that my Honda dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about updating the software on the Odyssey. The service tech even got into an argument with me when I asked about a DST update to fix the clock. He claims that the satellites set the clock (they do) and tried to tell me that the satellites are wrong -- he was clueless about the fact that the satellites send down UTC information to the car and it's up to the car to determine time zone and/or DST settings.

I can't speak for Lexus or other brands but something tells me the Japanese manufacturers tend to keep things the same (unless there's some huge reason to upgrade like a major flaw) across the model years and the German manufacturers tend to constantly upgrade things as needed.

If you ask me, I like the German way of doing things better than the Japanese way...