The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

CTS-V or M5

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

How long do you plan on keeping it?

LS motors are way cheaper to maintain and fix compared to any M motor.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

im just saying, i am sold on my current bmw... just loves the looks, and power the v has to offer. not trying to spark a riot lol... u folks are funny though, as far as ls motors go, i have been around the lsx scene for 10 yrs.... just don't have one right now.

My needs for 4dr, comfort and reliability was met with what i got now, not a 2 dr balls out chevy...
Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by hinckley
It's getting better, but it ain't there yet.

Say what?!? Where, exactly, is the "there" you're referring to? Refinement? The M5 is anything but! Performance? The current CTS-V has beaten the M5 in every head to head performance test they've had. Heck, if Car & Driver and Motor Trend picked it over the M5, you KNOW it has to be good! They should be called BMW & Driver and BMW Trend, respectively! LOL So I guess that just leaves interior design. The E60 ain't all that when it comes to interiors! The materials quality is pretty much even, IMO. I could do w/o the shiny plastic in the Caddy, but I definitely like the sport seats in the V better. Exterior looks? That's subjective, but personally, I think the CTS-V is hot! If it was me, I'd go for the V. Not to mention you could buy the CTS-V and still have some money left over for a nice 335i on the side for the price of just an M5! So in a sense, you could have your cake and eat it, too!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by danzanchy
get both
+1 Prob solved
Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Members

I have lots of track experience with CTS-V's. The auto is much better than the stick. Bottom line, it's a very capable car!! GM definitely did their homework. It has great power, handling and brakes. Build quality and fit 'n finish are great. Reliability is up there too. There are aftermarket kits to squeeze a bit more out of them as well. They change the engine tune, trans program, intake box, and muffler. Really turns the car on!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a BMW guy through and through and love the M5, but, I DO like the CTS-V too, esp for the bank for the buck factor.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by joebaggg
no brainer for me ... +20000000 M5
+1 i definitely agree
Old 03-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

The caddis butt ugly, but turn the lights off and that hogley beotch will turn on a holy man
Old 03-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by GT Premi
Say what?!? Where, exactly, is the "there" you're referring to? Refinement? The M5 is anything but! Performance? The current CTS-V has beaten the M5 in every head to head performance test they've had. Heck, if Car & Driver and Motor Trend picked it over the M5, you KNOW it has to be good! They should be called BMW & Driver and BMW Trend, respectively! LOL So I guess that just leaves interior design. The E60 ain't all that when it comes to interiors! The materials quality is pretty much even, IMO. I could do w/o the shiny plastic in the Caddy, but I definitely like the sport seats in the V better. Exterior looks? That's subjective, but personally, I think the CTS-V is hot! If it was me, I'd go for the V. Not to mention you could buy the CTS-V and still have some money left over for a nice 335i on the side for the price of just an M5! So in a sense, you could have your cake and eat it, too!
Very true. Did you read the new Motor Trend that compares the new E63 to the Caddy? Pretty impressive reviews and stats from both cars. However, the best part of the article is the last sentence... Let's just say that MT is just as excited for the F10 M5 as we are.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

If the tipping point is performance, the CTS-V beats the E60 M5. Hands down. The CTS-V is simply faster than the E60 M5 both in a straight line and around a track.

Of course, I fully expect that that will change when the F10 M5 roars onto the scene. There is just something wrong with a Caddy that is faster than an E60 M5 and that is priced about the same or a tad lower than a 550. It really is a credit to Cadillac and it's great to see a sedan from a US car company that can run with and even beat the very best from Germany.

Of course, if the F10 M5 vanquishes the CTS-V, GM should have not a technical problem in boosting the power of the CTS-V's engine to the same insane levels it develops in the ZR1 (I do think that US Government might try to get in the way of that, however).

I too can't wait for the F10 M5 to be rolled out.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by dbae1978
M5 FTMFW! Your asking if you should purchase a BMW or a caddy on a BMW forum....
i'm willing to bet most everyone will say M5
Caddy.

M5 FTW!

Quick Reply: CTS-V or M5