The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

BMW only one without a Supercar???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='212927
Originally Posted by Postel' post='211527' date='Dec 15 2005, 07:53 AM
Hey everybody!!!

Mercedes- Benz : SLR McLaren Mercedes-Benz
Porsche : Carrera GT
VW: Bugatti Veyron
Audi: R9 (the new one, I thought it called R9)

Ferrari : Enzo
Lamborghini : Murcielago

You see, they all have a +320km/h supercar!!! OK, BMW has an M6 or an M3 GTR Streetversion but when are they going to make an answer to the cars listed above???

The McLaren F1 with BMW Engine was a masterpiece, but that's already 10 years ago... The time has come that a new one will come...
I know certain obvious examples of supercars, but I wonder what the criteria are or should be for being classified as a supercar. Is cost of more than $X a criterion? Or, is performance above certain levels on various performance criteria all that is necessary? I go with the second idea although supercars often are quite expensive. But, regardless, what performance levels are required for a car to be classified as a supercar? Here are some possibilities--criteria and suggested values for satisfaction of the criteria:

0 to 60 time: How about less than 4 secs.?
1/4 mile time: How about less than 12 secs?
1/4 mile speed: How about greater than 120 MPH?
Top speed: How about greater than 175 MPH?
Time for a lap on the ring: Not sure

How do you all see the criteria? What other criteria do you suggest? What values do you think should be required for satisfaction of your suggested criteria. And, do you think my suggested values should be changed?
Easy - a supercar is one that elicits the following bubble thoughts upon first sight "Gee, if I could have any car tomorrow, that's the car I am getting."

Numbers just don't tell the story. Based on the listed criteria above, a Lotus Elise would probably qualify as a supercar -- and, in my book, the Elise for all of its driving pleasure is clearly not a supercar.

*PS - I also think a top speed of 175 mph is a bit too high. Not many cars can reach that speed without saying "adios" to Mother Earth, much less sustaining it for more than a few seconds.
[/quote]
Good points. Yes, a supercar should have a effect. But, I think your statement of the WOW factor may be a tad strong since only a very few cars might qualify if a supercar must elicit "gee, if I could have any car tomorrow, that's the car I am getting." And, maybe 175 mph is too high. I am not that familiar with car top speeds. What top speed might be more reasonable?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='213216
Originally Posted by vnod' post='212715' date='Dec 17 2005, 09:23 PM
[quote name='Postel' post='211527' date='Dec 15 2005, 07:53 AM']
Hey everybody!!!

You see, they all have a +320km/h supercar!!! OK, BMW has an M6 or an M3 GTR Streetversion but when are they going to make an answer to the cars listed above???

The McLaren F1 with BMW Engine was a masterpiece, but that's already 10 years ago... The time has come that a new one will come...
I know certain obvious examples of supercars, but I wonder what the criteria are or should be for being classified as a supercar. Is cost of more than $X a criterion? Or, is performance above certain levels on various performance criteria all that is necessary? I go with the second idea although supercars often are quite expensive. But, regardless, what performance levels are required for a car to be classified as a supercar? Here are some possibilities--criteria and suggested values for satisfaction of the criteria:

How do you all see the criteria? What other criteria do you suggest? What values do you think should be required for satisfaction of your suggested criteria. And, do you think my suggested values should be changed?
Easy - a supercar is one that elicits the following bubble thoughts upon first sight "Gee, if I could have any car tomorrow, that's the car I am getting."

Numbers just don't tell the story. Based on the listed criteria above, a Lotus Elise would probably qualify as a supercar -- and, in my book, the Elise for all of its driving pleasure is clearly not a supercar.

*PS - I also think a top speed of 175 mph is a bit too high. Not many cars can reach that speed without saying "adios" to Mother Earth, much less sustaining it for more than a few seconds.
[/quote]
Good points. Yes, a supercar should have a effect. But, I think your statement of the WOW factor may be a tad strong since only a very few cars might qualify if a supercar must elicit "gee, if I could have any car tomorrow, that's the car I am getting." And, maybe 175 mph is too high. I am not that familiar with car top speeds. What top speed might be more reasonable?
[/quote]

Not really sure about what the right "top speed" would be; in fact, I fear that trying to come up with any sort of objective standard for determining a supercar would be a Sisphysian effort, at best.

It's akin to asking a person to name/list the criteria for determining the world's most beautiful woman or most handsome man. Sure magazines like PEOPLE purport to do it, but they do it not for the sake of getting it right, but rather for ability to sell magazines.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='213317
Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='212927' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:23 PM
[quote name='vnod' post='212715' date='Dec 17 2005, 09:23 PM']
Hey everybody!!!

[/quote]
[/quote]

Not really sure about what the right "top speed" would be; in fact, I fear that trying to come up with any sort of objective standard for determining a supercar would be a Sisphysian effort, at best.

It's akin to asking a person to name/list the criteria for determining the world's most beautiful woman or most handsome man. Sure magazines like PEOPLE purport to do it, but they do it not for the sake of getting it right, but rather for ability to sell magazines.
[/quote]
Good points, but I'm still willing to try for the sake of discussion. Darn, I don't own any magazines. And, no calling me a sissy any more.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='213377
Originally Posted by vnod' post='213216' date='Dec 19 2005, 09:42 AM
[quote name='ipse dixit' post='212927' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:23 PM']
Hey everybody!!!

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Good points, but I'm still willing to try for the sake of discussion. Darn, I don't own any magazines. And, no calling me a sissy any more.
[/quote]

Ok, I'll just call you bimbo ... er ... I mean Brembo ...
Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='213406
Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='213317' date='Dec 19 2005, 04:04 PM
[quote name='vnod' post='213216' date='Dec 19 2005, 09:42 AM']
[quote name='ipse dixit' post='212927' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:23 PM']
Hey everybody!!!

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Ok, I'll just call you bimbo ... er ... I mean Brembo ...
[/quote]
Fine Brembo it is--you logical fallacy you. And, I hereby nominate the following cars for the coveted e60.net supercar designation. I have left some obvious ones out. So, there are some to add for sure and some to disagree about.

Ferrari Enzo MT 10/04 3.40 11.00 133.90
Ferrari Enzo R&T 7/03 3.30 11.10 133.00
Ferrari Enzo C&D 7/03 3.30 11.20 136.00
Porsche 911 Carerra GT MT 10/04 3.60 11.10 133.40
Porsche 911 Carerra GT C&D 6/04 3.50 11.20 132.00
Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 MT 11/05 3.50 11.50 127.10
Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 C&D 12/05 3.40 11.80 125.00
Mercedes SLR5 McLaren R&T 7/05 3.50 11.50 126.10
Mercedes SLR5 McLaren MT 1/05 3.60 11.60 127.20
Mercedes SLR5 McLaren C&D 1/05 3.60 11.60 125.00
Ford GT C&D 1/04 3.30 11.60
Ford GT MT 6/05 3.60 11.60 126.20
Ford GT R&T 12/05 3.60 11.70 125.80
Ford GT MT 1/04 3.60 11.78 124.31
McLaren F1 R&T 12/97 3.40 11.60 125.00
Ferrari F430 R&T 1/05 3.50 11.70 120.10
Ferrari F430 C&D 1/05 3.50 11.70 123.00
Ferrari F430 R&T 12/05 3.50 11.70 120.10
Lamborghini Murcielago MT 6/03 3.50 11.70 122.60
Ferrari F430 F1 MT 6/05 3.70 11.70 122.80
Dodge Viper SRT-10 MT 1/04 3.90 11.77 123.63
Dodge Viper SRT-10 MT 6/03 3.90 11.80 123.60
Mercedes SL600 C&D 3/04 3.60 11.90 120.00
Mercedes SL65 AMG C&D 1/05 3.80 11.90 123.00
Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

oh come on

MB has SLR but the rest is piece of $hit
how many SLR do you see out there?

Porsche - uhm, that is a super car producer in overall.
the same with Lamborghini, or do you see any other Lambo's but super sports?
VW and AUDI, yeah all their super sports are totaly killing their budgets and will never make any profit

I'm glad that BMW makes only BMW cars (ok and the Mini's) that actually drive great.
I worry the day BMW will buy some other car company or merge with someone......but that is a different story.

OK you are right BMW does not have any "super sport" they just have super cars to drive
Old 12-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Nevermind. I thought you were replying to me.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='213587' date='Dec 20 2005, 10:22 AM
Nevermind. I thought you were replying to me.
Isn't anyone interested in the e60.net coveted supercar designation?
Old 12-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='212746
I thought the Diablo was Lamborghini's top of the range car?

[/quote]

Oh I see now Stuck in the past I am