The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

To anyone who has driven or owns a Porsche 911 (997)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d se auto. black sapphire, 17" 5 spoke 138 style alloys. dark poplar trim, charcoal flat weave cloth, bluetooth phone prep, dimming rear view and side mirrors, lumbar support, heated front deats, phone cradle

The kids have grown up, everything is paid for... I fancy a 911! I have test driven the 911 Carrera 4 S and have fallen in love! But what are they like to live with? Any opinions on what options to get? May be ordering in the next week or two so very excited on the idea. Thinking about a C4 S manual in GT silver, Bi colour terracotta and black, 19" turbo wheels, park assist, dimming mirrors, maybe power kit?, maybe porsche ceramic bakes system?, sports shifter, instruments in white, adaptive sports seats and heated seats, all leather interior (rooflining, door sills etc.) aluminium interior, bose, extended navigation, telephone module, VTS tracker system. Think I would do the factory delivey collection. Very excited on the idea, what do you guys think?
It would cost an arm and leg... but you only live once!
this colour:
To anyone who has driven or owns a Porsche 911 (997)-fu2.jpg
and these wheels:
Name:  M404_V.gif
Views: 31
Size:  6.4 KB
opinions?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Members

Wink

I like to drive Porsche's, but I'd really prefer to own an Aston Martin ...

To anyone who has driven or owns a Porsche 911 (997)-aston.jpg
Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525dse' post='318996' date='Aug 4 2006, 07:51 PM
The kids have grown up, everything is paid for... I fancy a 911! I have test driven the 911 Carrera 4 S and have fallen in love! But what are they like to live with? Any opinions on what options to get? May be ordering in the next week or two so very excited on the idea. Thinking about a C4 S manual in GT silver, Bi colour terracotta and black, 19" turbo wheels, park assist, dimming mirrors, maybe power kit?, maybe porsche ceramic bakes system?, sports shifter, instruments in white, adaptive sports seats and heated seats, all leather interior (rooflining, door sills etc.) aluminium interior, bose, extended navigation, telephone module, VTS tracker system. Think I would do the factory delivey collection. Very excited on the idea, what do you guys think?
It would cost an arm and leg... but you only live once!
this colour:

and these wheels:

opinions?
I've driven one on a track, but not on a road.

My over riding view was that - they bite.

Fabulously quick and incredibly stable when powering through corners on the throttle, but if you get it wrong and brake on a bend - then the engine overtakes you and it all goes wrong.

I'm sure it's more civilised on a road, where you will be nowhere near this cars limit. However, personally I think I would want something more predicatable.

Also .... when the boxter and cayman s are as good as they are .... do you really need a 911?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

yep. unless its a 911 turbo or carrera 4S, i'd go for the Auston Martin or M5
Old 08-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ronald_adi' post='319130' date='Aug 4 2006, 05:52 PM
yep. unless its a 911 turbo or carrera 4S, i'd go for the Auston Martin or M5
Ditto. I'm sure the 911 is ultimately the better car but I'd take the Aston in a heartbeat.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

I've also been thinking about a 911. Carrera or Carrera S also in the GT Silver. I am tired of my 530 (77K miles) and I need more power. I do wonder about the everyday aspects of owning a 911, but given all the problems I've had with my 530, it can't be much worse. The 911 options are not cheap. I definitely want the extended nav, park assist, dimming mirrors, bi xenon lights & telephone module. Still can't decide which wheels...Hey 525dse, maybe we can get a deal on two 911's!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

I own both a two year old 545 and a four year old 911 Targa. This is my fourth 5er, and I've got to say that I'm totally bored with it. But, there is nothing else to buy, so I'm going to keep it for a while.

The Porsche is something else altogether. I love it everytime I get in it. It's my main drive in the summer (it hibernates through the Boston winters) and I've never had any significant problems with the car.

There's another thread in the Competition board comparing the Aston and the Porsche. I absolutely love the new Aston -- it's sex just to look at. But if you really enjoy the viceral sensation of driving above everything else, it doesn't compare to the Porsche. I test drove it and the 997S back-to-back -- and now I have a deposit on the just introduced 911 Targa 4S!! And btw, I'm getting the Turbo wheels as well!!

Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Members

I have a 911 with about 5k miles on it. It has become my daily driver, and I love the thing more everytime I drive it. It is a fantastic car with great fit and finish. You need to know what you are getting into when you get one of these. I recommed getting one of course, but just know that it is a true sports car. It is pretty loud, pretty rough, and can be uncomfortable on extended drives. I knew this when I got it, and have never once regretted it. It is fun, fast, stunning, and just a fantastic car. Certainly it has some warts on it too, but overall I wouldn't have anything else. I love it.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Members

BTW- If you are getting a C4S with power kit why not just get the TT? It will end up being the same price. 997 TT in GT Silver is just about the most stunning car I have ever seen. Simply incredible.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Me and my cousin and one of his friends drove a porsche 997 turbo a couple of weeks ago and all I can say. What a car! I'm trying to post a short movie when we're driving

Check this out instead

Quick Reply: To anyone who has driven or owns a Porsche 911 (997)