The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Anyone with personal experience with Volvo XC90?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

We're leaning hard towards a 2010 Volvo XC90 with the R package...its pretty sharp.

Curious if anyone here has one, or has owned one?

Mostly curious about the 6 cylinder AWD engine. The R package is 6 cylinder only, which I thought was odd. As its the wife's car, and she's not a speed racer, I think it might be sufficient, but I saw a review on Edmunds.com where they were bitching about it.

We dont tow things - its basically a large station wagon. But still, if someone here had some real world experience, I would love to hear it.

Thanks...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

My brother-in-law leased a 3.2L for like 3 years, my best friend owned an '06 2.9T for about a year. As long as speed and sporty handling aren't on your docket, it is the perfect SUV.

The only gripe that I heard about it from the two drivers I know personally (and know they are real drivers), was that from my best friend, who had an A4 Ultrasport before (chipped and modded) and now is rolling in an M3 vert - you can probably guess what he didn't like about it. I think he sold it for slightly more money than he bought it for in the end though, so even he had little negative to say about it.

An X6 is still an X6 though. Just saying
Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by v_therussian
An X6 is still an X6 though. Just saying

And, unfortunately, a total disaster if you actually need your car to be able to carry anything... Four seats and compromised luggage space in a vehicle as big as the X6 is just inexplicable...
Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by swajames
And, unfortunately, a total disaster if you actually need your car to be able to carry anything... Four seats and compromised luggage space in a vehicle as big as the X6 is just inexplicable...
But if you want a blown (and very moddable) V8, physics-defying handling and the ability to go over potholes without having to worry about slowing down to a crawl - all wrapped in a sexy bod, you have nowhere else to look

But I did digress. XC90 is totally a great car, AFAIK - bar only the leaning-tower style body motions during cornering and so-so overall dynamics (which may actually be remedied with the R pack). But as far as all the rest is concerned, it is a great reliable and smooth SUV
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
But I did digress. XC90 is totally a great car, AFAIK - bar only the leaning-tower style body motions during cornering and so-so overall dynamics (which may actually be remedied with the R pack). But as far as all the rest is concerned, it is a great reliable and smooth SUV
Thanks for the comments!

I am thinking the R package will help address the suspension issues, at least somewhat, and since its the wife's car, I wont be doing too much speeding around, so the lack of torque isnt a big concern. Besides, coming from a Toyota Sienna, she thinks its a racecar...LOL.

The cargo space and comfortable seating for 7 was among the big selling points...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

We bought a 2004 XC90 new and still own it. It is the 2.5T AWD version. My wife loves it, and it really has been a reliable vehicle for us. Yes, the XC90 is an anemic pig when it comes to handling and acceleration, but it gets the job done and it makes us feel safe driving the two kids (ages 3 and 7) around. The couple of times that we've had the 3.2L engine as a loaner I've noticed the better acceleration and responsiveness. We use the 7 seat arrangement only 2-3 times/year but it is very handy when we need it.

Oh, yes, the XC90 uses the MOST system so there's no easy way of doing anything to the stereo or much of anything else, but since it is your wife's car I don't guess that modding will be high on your priority list.

If the car were to be totaled today then we'd take the insurance money and go get another one. I think that you'll like it.

You can also peruse this forum for common issues, perceptions, etc.: XC90 forums

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by txag_530i
We bought a 2004 XC90 new and still own it. It is the 2.5T AWD version. My wife loves it, and it really has been a reliable vehicle for us. Yes, the XC90 is an anemic pig when it comes to handling and acceleration, but it gets the job done and it makes us feel safe driving the two kids (ages 3 and 7) around. The couple of times that we've had the 3.2L engine as a loaner I've noticed the better acceleration and responsiveness. We use the 7 seat arrangement only 2-3 times/year but it is very handy when we need it.

Oh, yes, the XC90 uses the MOST system so there's no easy way of doing anything to the stereo or much of anything else, but since it is your wife's car I don't guess that modding will be high on your priority list.

If the car were to be totaled today then we'd take the insurance money and go get another one. I think that you'll like it.

You can also peruse this forum for common issues, perceptions, etc.: XC90 forums

Good luck.
WOW....great info. That's what i wanted to hear!

We've driven (and liked) the 3.2 V6 model, and since we dont haul stuff, i assumed it was okay for everyday use. I did read an online review from Edmunds where they ragged on the engine as being insufficient, but these are the same guys who bash BMW's iDrive, which I liked, so I wanted a little real world experience to balance their view.

We're getting a 2010 model (new), which has a "multimedia" option, which also has a Premium Sound upgrade with Dynaudio. Hopefully, a good system.

We have 3 kids and will use the third row more than you, especially when hauling friends.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

- Pete
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I have never owned an XC90 myself (though I have owned a couple of Volvos....one ended up being a lemon) but I have good friends who HAD them. From their experiences, I would stay away from them as the reliability was TERRIBLE (both were in and out of the shop and one ended up being a lemon). Neither of these friends would EVER buy a Volvo again! Infact, both went to BMW afterward (X5 and X3 respectively) and have had nothing but happy motoring since! Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

v6 is underpowered go v8
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by joebaggg
v6 is underpowered go v8
For towing boats, I'm sure.

For blowing up and down the expressway, it might be.

For running the kids to school & picking up groceries, I'm not so sure.

Quick Reply: Anyone with personal experience with Volvo XC90?