The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Anyone else have second thoughts !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

wow.. looks sweet ..
Old 02-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Senior Members

How can you say the interior of an A4 looks like an E39?? The Audi doesn't have a central dash console angled towards the driver for a start. The two interiors couldn't be more different.

The RS models are about the only versions of Audi's worth buying if you are a driving enthusiast but to me Audi have ruined the elegant, understated looks of the B6 A4 with the latest revisions which have resulted in the B7 model. It now has awkward crease lines in the sheet metal, a gaping front grille and challenged rear end end styling. The designers have tried to incorporate elements of the A8 but on an evidently restricted budget the changes have been less than successful. The various elements combine to give a contrived and disjointed appearance against the previous model. This is Audi attempting to counter the new E90 and most roadtests have agreed it hasn't worked. It looks like a Rover 75 and that is not a compliment.

The RS4 will no doubt be a good drive but I for one couldn't get past the styling. The forthcoming E90 M3 will doubtless be a superior car in all respects.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:39 AM
It looks like a Rover 75 and that is not a compliment.
[snapback]93094[/snapback]

Agree the new front grill is a bit challenging - but I believe that Rover copied Audi.

One thing that is worth remembering - when the E60 was launched it initially faced similar critisim and was slated in the press for its new-fangled looks with "lines in the sheet metal" and "challenged rear end end styling". I actually remember laughing when I saw my first E60 - followed by sadness at BMW's / Bangle's stupidity

Familiarity has helped the E60 by a huge degree - After a few months people started to "get" the design and 'wierd' turned into 'stylish'. I now think it's a great looking car and it seems now that most people agree. Well done BMW - !

IMO - I like to see car designers making bold changes to their designs and BMW were very brave with new 5 and 7. However it can go both ways (i.e. Cayanne) . Time will tell with the new Audi look.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

An RS4 is about the same league as an M3, definately different from an E60.
You'd need an RS6 to compete let's say a M5

Just wait till the E90 M3 shows up and we will talk again!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by M-1' date='Feb 22 2005, 07:29 AM
OK guys educate on this what's wrong with the Audi?
[snapback]93057[/snapback]
What's wrong with it? It's a f*cking AUDI, that's what's wrong with it!
I'd never ever buy a japs or an AUDI in my life!

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Feb 22 2005, 12:05 PM
... but I believe that Rover copied Audi.
[snapback]93097[/snapback]
No. AUDI is the one that is ALLWAYS copying others!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:17 AM
What's wrong with it? It's a f*cking AUDI, that's what's wrong with it!
I'd never ever buy a japs or an AUDI in my life!
[snapback]93133[/snapback]
So, I take it you don't like Audis?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Feb 22 2005, 05:05 AM
One thing that is worth remembering - when the E60 was launched it initially faced similar critisim and was slated in the press for its new-fangled looks with "lines in the sheet metal" and "challenged rear end end styling".? I actually remember laughing when I saw my first E60 - followed by sadness at BMW's / Bangle's stupidity
[snapback]93097[/snapback]
Marty,

I know all about criticism. Being one of the early buyers of an E60 I know what it was like to suffer the jibes about the design. I believe I have a forward looking perspective and the design of the E60 just look right to me from the minute I saw undisguised photos of it. I know it takes other people time to grow accustomed to new designs particularly when the previous version has come to be regarded as a classic.

To me the Audi is not a new car but a quick overhaul of an existing model. To even call it a reskin would be going a bit far in my book as Audi have not made major sheet metal changes. What they have done is introduce a mish mash of styles to an existing model that had very good surface tension and proportions in its original form (B6 version). Adding a few creases to the body has created an awkward and contrived style and the front and rear lights just look overcooked as the designers have tried hard to create a new look with these items. The convex ridgeline running along the waist of the car just looks ridiculous in an age when other manufacturers have ditched this styling feature. It is mildly ironic that Audi pick up on it just as everyone else decides to ape the taut clean surface lines of the previous B6 and have abandoned proounced surface features like these.

The new auto union grille looks fine on the new A6 as that car was designed to take it from the outset. The best comparison I could make to the B7 would be to suggest imagine if BMW had chosen to introduce flame surfacing on either the E46 or E39 models instead of going with new designs.. The result would have been a mess.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I Titanium Silver Metallic / Black Leather / Poplar Grain Wood Trim /Automatic Cold Weather Package / Heated Rear Seats / Xenon Headlights / Sirius Satellite Radio Leather Selector Lever w/Wood Inlay / Wood E-Brake Handle / Red Rear Reflectors / BMW All Weather Mats / BMW All Weather Trunk Liner / LoJack Anti-theft System

5 Series - hands down. Yes the S4 is beautiful, but I love the roominess of the 5, and the fact that when I drive down the street everyone turns their heads. when people see and A4/S4 they dont have that reaction.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Well, I'll have to throw my $.02 in here, since I've driven VW/Audi's for 20 years before my 545. I've tracked my Audi's several times. A friend of mine bought the first S6 in town, and I've driven it a couple times. So, I think I'm pretty qualified to weigh in on the S4 vs BMW.

I love Audi's, they are fantastic cars. High quality, beautiful interiors, fun to drive, and the best quattro system in the world. There are basically two problems though. First, because Audi's have the engine forward of the front axle, the car will always be nose-heavy, and you can't fight physics. If you enter a turn really hot, the Audi will plow and the BMW will drift. Second, RWD, not Quattro is the best for a high performance car. The quattro adds weight, and takes away a lot of the fun you can have with RWD. .Even if you setup the Audi to get better lap times, the BMW is just more fun to drive.

Take a comparable Audi and BMW, and the BMW will always be the better handling car. The BMW is lighter and better balanced. The Audi can be as good in everything else, but lighter and better balanced will give you better handling. The fact is that the Audi and BMW are pretty much equal in most other areas, but the handling edge will always go to the BMW because of the weight distribution.

So, the real competitor for the S4 will me the new M3. The Audi's always seem to stack up just a little bit short. The new M3 will be lighter, better balanced, and have about 400 hp. I will guarantee it will outperform the S4.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:48 AM
M-1
Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Feb 22 2005, 08:49 AM
Well, I'll have to throw my $.02 in here, since I've driven VW/Audi's for 20 years before my 545.? I've tracked my Audi's several times.? A friend of mine bought the first S6 in town, and I've driven it a couple times.? So, I think I'm pretty qualified to weigh in on the S4 vs BMW.

I love Audi's, they are fantastic cars.? High quality, beautiful interiors, fun to drive, and the best quattro system in the world.? There are basically two problems though.? First, because Audi's have the engine forward of the front axle, the car will always be nose-heavy, and you can't fight physics.? If you enter a turn really hot, the Audi will plow and the BMW will drift.? Second, RWD, not Quattro is the best for a high performance car.? The quattro adds weight, and takes away a lot of the fun you can have with RWD.? .Even if you setup the Audi to get better lap times, the BMW is just more fun to drive.

Take a comparable Audi and BMW, and the BMW will always be the better handling car.? The BMW is lighter and better balanced.? The Audi can be as good in everything else, but lighter and better balanced will give you better handling.? The fact is that the Audi and BMW are pretty much equal in most other areas, but the handling edge will always go to the BMW because of the weight distribution.

So, the real competitor for the S4 will me the new M3.? The Audi's always seem to stack up just a little bit short.? The new M3 will be lighter, better balanced, and have about 400 hp.? I will guarantee it will outperform the S4.
[snapback]93143[/snapback]

Oh that would be a deal breaker ... you are saying that Audi does not have 50-50 weight distribution? As far as the M3 .. even the E46M3 will beat this one, but M3 doesn't offer 4 doors. I already have a GT3 so don't need a compromise vehicle, just the top sports sedan with an "optional automaitc" i.e. SMG or DSG.

Iceman was kind of surprised that you have such harsh feelings towards the Audi RS4. It looks to me a precision german made machinery ... Audis have always looked a little ricey ... but if I cared about looks the E60 is not exactly perfect.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have second thoughts !!