The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Another Chris Bangle Influence

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='223339' date='Jan 12 2006, 12:29 PM
It is funny how everyone was bashing 5er new design when it just came out, and now we see so many copies/similar designs.... Only goes to show how innovative and forward looking Bangle/BMW designs really are...
Amen, brother.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

Originally Posted by evil96' post='223369
It is funny how everyone was bashing 5er new design when it just came out, and now we see so many copies/similar designs.... Only goes to show how innovative and forward looking Bangle/BMW designs really are...
Amen, brother.

[/quote]

I am with you guys here. The E60 I think was a big leap, the designwas then, and is now ahead of time. I personally would love an (big) E60.

Design has changed soo much so fast! My first cars were still that old rectangular, predictable form (?81 or so Golf I, (?, old!) Audi 80 quattro, (?, old!) Audi 200 5T, 320i, 96?Chevy Caprice Classic (yes baby my favorite ever!!), ?92 E34, E87

Look at cars now, they look like UFO?s! Especially the E60, I like it.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the proof that Toyota is a copycat:
1. Look at Scion headlight - copied from 7-series
2. The shark fin antenna on this LS460 - copied from E46 series
3. The diaper trunk copied from 7/5-series

Look at the side rear view mirror, it's so pathetic. I couldn't believe that it looks not so right.
Toyota wants to make this car not as a luxury sedan, but a prestige sedan. Would you think it's prestige? The look is not as spiritual as german cars. Would you like to pay $80K for this sedan, I think not. With $80K, I'd go for 7-series nor CPO MBZ which is more prestige than this Toyota.
Attached Thumbnails Another Chris Bangle Influence-scion_headlight.gif  
Old 01-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by nupe009' post='223120' date='Jan 12 2006, 07:37 AM
I'm impressed. I just watched the video and I love the features. http://www.lexus.com/2007ls_preview/index.html
Nerd :thumbsdown:
Old 01-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Damm....its looks like a Bimmer to me......uummm
Attached Thumbnails Another Chris Bangle Influence-525i.jpg  
Old 01-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Guys......while it's true that it does not look much like the E60 5er, the rear section/trunk lid IS a copy of the so called "Bangle Butt" of the E65 7 series that people (and magazine writers) slammed when it first came out. Now others are copying the 7 series (not 5 series) trunk lid/rear end design all over the place. The Acura RL has the same design, this Lexus even more so, and even the upcoming Mercedes S class that I just saw at the auto show has the Bangle Butt. With the S class though it does not end there as the dash and door panels looks way too much like a copy of the 7 series.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I just watched it too only thing kinda impressive was the rear seat Rolls / Maybach features... All other things Hill start assist etc etc are all copied from the Germans.

I just watched it too only thing kinda impressive was the rear seat Rolls / Maybach features... All other things Hill start assist etc etc are all copied from the Germans.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='223509' date='Jan 12 2006, 08:17 PM

I am not sure about the copying stuff. Who knows how long things have been under development by any company? Maybe some manufacturers just wait for things to work better before releasing them or are slower to develop them. First to market, for example, does not necessarily imply first to start developing an idea. I would bet that all car companies, in a given class, are working on pretty much the same sorts of things regardless of who brings them to market first.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='223513

I am not sure about the copying stuff. Who knows how long things have been under development by any company? Maybe some manufacturers just wait for things to work better before releasing them or are slower to develop them. First to market, for example, does not necessarily imply first to start developing an idea. I would bet that all car companies, in a given class, are working on pretty much the same sorts of things regardless of who brings them to market first.
[/quote]

Maybe... but their track record have not been so hot. Seems like everything they release is "released" later than the Germans... I mean surely they could have had somthing sooner... Now which works best is another story...

Oh electronics don't count. MP3 DVD Audio etc etc
Old 01-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Got to say that whether you do or don't like their cars you've got to have utmost respect for Toyota/Lexus. These guys will soon be the no 1 automaker in terms of units sold, and yet they are still able to produce a top quality product.

From a design/driving dynamics standpoint it's pretty clear that Lexus in particular has BMW as its benchmark, and some of their cars are starting to get pretty close - with few compromises on quality. That's a pretty impressive achievement. Not saying I want one, but I sure wish my E60 was built like one!

Quick Reply: Another Chris Bangle Influence