The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Alfa Romeo 156 vs. BMW 5-series

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by fred1976' date='Aug 10 2005, 06:02 PM
I got an alfa 156 and enjoyed it until the end without so much troubles and low maintenance costs. I'm of course fully satisfied by the new car, which is a 5.
To answer your first question, as soon as I deactivate the DSC (fully), I really have to take care about the way I press the gaz pedal, especially in DS mode. If I press to much while not going fully straigh, I immediately start to loose the rear train but as it is quite new, I suppose that I need more experience. With the DSC, I have no trouble and I have nice cornering speed even if it is actualy difficult to compare...
[snapback]157910[/snapback]
So fred, you don't feel that the Alfa was faster in corners? Having had an underpowered 1.6 156, I always overtook other cars on corners since I was never able to pass them on a straigh. That is why I have measured these speeds every time I took the same curve again and again.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Aug 10 2005, 12:27 PM
So did I make the wrong decision?
[snapback]157840[/snapback]
maybe you did

what were your reasons for buying a big luxury saloon like the E60 in the first place? it appears having read your replies to other posts, what you actually wanted might have been another smaller sports saloon perhaps?

Me, I bought the E60 not because I expected a big car to be nimbler than a smaller car but because my lifestyle dictated that i needed the extra space in the car for family, and all the stuff i need to carry around.

If i did not need the extra space i would have stuck with a smaller, sportier model. Sadly the M5 is out of my price range, esp in the UK. :'( :'(

My previous E60 SE did not handle like a sports car through the corners, but then i didn't expect it to and was probably being a bit hard on it as my previous car before it was an E46 Sport Coupe. It took a while to get used to the softer ride of the std E60 SE but it was still a great car, excellent cruiser with good handling for its size.

I changed that E60 SE to the Euro Spec M-Sport E60 530i for a number of reasons, one of which was the inclusion of the m-sport suspension which supposedly includes components from the M5 setup, though not sure which (the m-sport sus is differnet to sports suspenion offered on the options list apparently).

I guess there may be other differences too with later build cars, such as reprogrammed DTC etc

...anyway all I know is the difference is huge. The M-sport model corners very flat and hard with no real body roll at all, the car feels much more balanced than my SE model.

If they are available in your country, try and take one out for a spin and see what you think, if you are in the US I am not sure if the MSport E60 is available, I have read on this forum BMWNA might be offering the E60 with the MSport bodykit, but I am not sure if the mechanical changes the Euro MSport's come with, will also be offered. If not then I guess try and drive an E60 with the sports suspension.

In the M-sport car I have never had DTC cut in at any speed through any corner, on dry surfaces.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Aug 10 2005, 12:02 PM
[quote name='Shebs' date='Aug 10 2005, 12:27 PM']So did I make the wrong decision?
[snapback]157840[/snapback]
maybe you did

what were your reasons for buying a big luxury saloon like the E60 in the first place? it appears having read your replies to other posts, what you actually wanted might have been another smaller sports saloon perhaps?

Me, I bought the E60 not because I expected a big car to be nimbler than a smaller car but because my lifestyle dictated that i needed the extra space in the car for family, and all the stuff i need to carry around.

If i did not need the extra space i would have stuck with a smaller, sportier model. Sadly the M5 is out of my price range, esp in the UK. :'( :'(

My previous E60 SE did not handle like a sports car through the corners, but then i didn't expect it to and was probably being a bit hard on it as my previous car before it was an E46 Sport Coupe. It took a while to get used to the softer ride of the std E60 SE but it was still a great car, excellent cruiser with good handling for its size.

I changed that E60 SE to the Euro Spec M-Sport E60 530i for a number of reasons, one of which was the inclusion of the m-sport suspension which supposedly includes components from the M5 setup, though not sure which (the m-sport sus is differnet to sports suspenion offered on the options list apparently).

I guess there may be other differences too with later build cars, such as reprogrammed DTC etc

...anyway all I know is the difference is huge. The M-sport model corners very flat and hard with no real body roll at all, the car feels much more balanced than my SE model.

If they are available in your country, try and take one out for a spin and see what you think, if you are in the US I am not sure if the MSport E60 is available, I have read on this forum BMWNA might be offering the E60 with the MSport bodykit, but I am not sure if the mechanical changes the Euro MSport's come with, will also be offered. If not then I guess try and drive an E60 with the sports suspension.

In the M-sport car I have never had DTC cut in at any speed through any corner, on dry surfaces.
[snapback]157945[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're correct, the M-Sport suspension is not available in the US, but the Dynamic Drive-equipped variant (our sports package) has been tested to corner at .90g - which is very good. Dynamic Drive also makes it corner ultra-flatly.

There are always going to be cars that corner better, or go faster, or whatever. My friend's Lotus Elise makes a mockery of almost every car in terms of handling. With that said, I can barely tolerate 15 minutes in the thing and would be completely batshit nuts if I had to commute in it.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Members

Cool

Shebs

The Alfa will loose money like nothing else. Good if you buy secondhand but not so hot new. The BMW will hold it's value better where I am anyway. (UK)
If you want a decent sports car with 4 doors then for similar money you can have an Impreza, Evo8, Audi S4 or even a M3.
You can not have your cake and eat it! Comfort and refinement then keep the E60. Handling and being a bit different the Alfa. All them others are not really a mix.
What do you want?
I mentioned the size of the engine as power dictates the way a car drives. I don't care how well a car handles as the moment you hit the straight your history. The old Austin Mini handled like a dream and was small and nimble but had no go so was crap as a sporting car.
You need a mix of both power and handling. The worlds best sports cars all have well over 250bhp.
Makes sense really.

Regards
Old 08-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Aug 10 2005, 09:51 AM
First of all I never mentioned track times. Of course they will be affected by the fact than my car is only 170 hp. All I am talking about is cornering speeds.

So are you saying that the E90 330i, although faster than you in a straight line, could not pass you on a track? This means that your cornering speeds are much higher than his! What if he was in front, would you have been able to keep on his tail in the same manner?

Also what is your suspension setup? I would really like to know.
[snapback]157928[/snapback]
My suspension is stock, but dynamic drive helps a lot, I could see the E90 rolling quite a bit in corners, my buddy (totoseow) in another 530i with sports suspension and dynamic drive was rolling much less, in fact hardly any roll at all in the high speed corners.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Knobjockey' date='Aug 10 2005, 05:02 PM
Shebs

The Alfa will loose money like nothing else. Good if you buy secondhand but not so hot new. The BMW will hold it's value better where I am anyway. (UK)
If you want a decent sports car with 4 doors then for similar money you can have an Impreza, Evo8, Audi S4 or even a M3.
You can not have your cake and eat it! Comfort and refinement then keep the E60. Handling and being a bit different the Alfa. All them others are not really a mix.
What do you want?
I mentioned the size of the engine as power dictates the way a car drives.? I don't care how well a car handles as the moment you hit the straight your history. The old Austin Mini handled like a dream and was small and nimble but had no go so was crap as a sporting car.
You need a mix of both power and handling. The worlds best sports cars all have well over 250bhp.
Makes sense really.

Regards
[snapback]158073[/snapback]
I agree. Cornering speed has alot to do with power and weight and setup also. If the engine can't put out more power to the wheels even though the setup and weight is perfect then you won't have that sprakle to really punish those tires (not very high cornering speeds).
Old 11-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Aug 10 2005, 09:43 AM
My Alfa had Bridgestone Potenza RE720, which is an ultra high performance tire, while my BMW has Dunlop SP Sport 01, which is also an ultra high performance tire.
The Dunlops are terrible. If they're Runflats (DSST) then they're even worse!