The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

550i vs Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

The 550 is starting to look OLD !
Old 05-09-2009, 08:42 AM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Swajames! Are ou saying the 530xi does not have a complete Sports Package asfound on an "i" ? The front and rear suspension is different? May I say BMW left out some items at springs or torsion arms normally found in an "i"? How much different is the feeling and response to an all true Sport Package found on an "i"? Thanks for the FYI! I did not know this. Dan in Delaware

Originally Posted by swajames' post='873490' date='May 9 2009, 11:15 AM
It won't. The 530xi has non sport suspension and, frankly, is underpowered for the weight of the car. The XF is a better handling car than a non-Sport E60, and this particular XF has 385 hp...
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DTD' post='873543' date='May 9 2009, 09:42 AM
Swajames! Are ou saying the 530xi does not have a complete Sports Package asfound on an "i" ? The front and rear suspension is different? May I say BMW left out some items at springs or torsion arms normally found in an "i"? How much different is the feeling and response to an all true Sport Package found on an "i"? Thanks for the FYI! I did not know this. Dan in Delaware

On the Xi the sport package is essentially cosmetic, the Xi both with and without the sport pack having the same standard suspension. The Xi sport pack comprises shadowline trim, sport steering wheel and different seats if I recall correctly.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='873507' date='May 9 2009, 06:46 PM
The 550 is starting to look OLD !
For us older members yes, looking at nice pics all the time, but for others not.

The XF Jag is not up to the E60 and the F10 will be here next spring.

But the F10 better be damned nice and good.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

I might be biased, but the 550 is still growing on me!

I used to think Jag were a very classy sexy car, now they remind me of a ford taurus...but that's just me

Also, did you see the lean on the jag? looked like a 1980 lincoln rocking back and forth through the slalom!

Bring on the F10!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames' post='873490' date='May 9 2009, 11:15 AM
It won't. The 530xi has non sport suspension and, frankly, is underpowered for the weight of the car. The XF is a better handling car than a non-Sport E60, and this particular XF has 385 hp...
+1. The XF, which I've driven is a very good handler. Its reflexes are not quite as sharp as my 550i Sport but the new 385 bhp XF will eat up a 530xi. It is so much faster (much more bhp) and the suspension is more responsive. I do think that the exterior looks just OK but the interior is very nice.

I like my car a lot better. I drove both (for teh XF, I drove the supercharged model) and, to me when it came to handling, mine was much sharper.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sports Package, Nav, Prem Sound

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='873445' date='May 9 2009, 09:47 AM
The XF can't carry the 550's jock, period. I don't car if they put a Jet engine in the thing I'm not buying a car from Tata motors...

Whats that supposed to mean? Whats wrong with Tata Motors? Too many brown Indian people running it? I think Indians can handle running Jaguar, after all they did invent/discover the concept of Zero, the decimal numbering system, differential equations, Pi, negative numbers, and the concept of the atomic particle just to name of few, all of which are required to design any car (including a Jaguar or BMW).
Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='873964' date='May 9 2009, 09:17 PM
+1. The XF, which I've driven is a very good handler. Its reflexes are not quite as sharp as my 550i Sport but the new 385 bhp XF will eat up a 530xi. It is so much faster (much more bhp) and the suspension is more responsive. I do think that the exterior looks just OK but the interior is very nice.

I like my car a lot better. I drove both (for teh XF, I drove the supercharged model) and, to me when it came to handling, mine was much sharper.
That's right, no doubt the 550 Sport is sharper and the better handler. I just think a lot of people underestimate how good the XF is. I really like the XF, it's a strong competitor to the E60, but I really like the 550 too.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by amit1947' post='873979' date='May 10 2009, 12:45 AM
Whats that supposed to mean? Whats wrong with Tata Motors? Too many brown Indian people running it? I think Indians can handle running Jaguar, after all they did invent/discover the concept of Zero, the decimal numbering system, differential equations, Pi, negative numbers, and the concept of the atomic particle just to name of few, all of which are required to design any car (including a Jaguar or BMW).
Why does this always have to turn racial?

I had an interest in the XF supercharged until Ford announced the sale to Tata. It has nothing to do with where the car is made or what color the skin is of the executives of the controlling company. I don't want to buy a performance car from a company who is just venturing into that market. Let's face it, Jaguar has always been known for poor reliability. With Tata's vast experience with luxury performance vehicles (not) are they going to be in a position to improve this right away? I don't think so. That's not to say that I would never buy a car manufactured by them. Once they get the training wheels off and prove that they can run Jaguar and make it a reliable luxury performance vehicle, I may consider it, but that time is not today.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='874143' date='May 10 2009, 08:49 AM
Why does this always have to turn racial?

I had an interest in the XF supercharged until Ford announced the sale to Tata. It has nothing to do with where the car is made or what color the skin is of the executives of the controlling company. I don't want to buy a performance car from a company who is just venturing into that market. Let's face it, Jaguar has always been known for poor reliability. With Tata's vast experience with luxury performance vehicles (not) are they going to be in a position to improve this right away? I don't think so. That's not to say that I would never buy a car manufactured by them. Once they get the training wheels off and prove that they can run Jaguar and make it a reliable luxury performance vehicle, I may consider it, but that time is not today.

Just my two cents.

While I agree the racial argument can go back the way it came, Jaguar was the most reliable car last year, alongside Buick. Look up the JD Power reliability results.

You still have a point, though, that Tata did just acquire Jag and is still kinda new to the whole luxury thing, and I would probably wait a while before I would get one. But the question is, was the XF made/designed when it was still owned by Ford or Tata? Tata bought Jag about 2 years ago. So maybe you'd be buying a Ford instead of a Tata. Which may not be much better.

Quick Reply: 550i vs Jaguar XF