The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

545i vs. GS 430 vs. M45 vs. E500 vs. CTS-v

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

I just read up on the Kleeman 55S8 at Car&Driver, boy what a giant killer!

If i won the Megamillions Lotto that would be my econobox!
:winkcool:
Old 01-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Any of you folks see Road & Track's article on the new Infiniti M45? :'(
Old 01-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by 530iii' date='Jan 7 2005, 05:31 PM
Any of you folks see Road & Track's article on the new Infiniti M45? ? :'(
[snapback]76797[/snapback]

Yes! I am impressed with the M45. Traditionally here is what you would go with

If you want
1st class Engineering - German cars (BMW/Audi)
1st class Electronics / Refinement - Japanese Luxury cars (Infinity/ Lexus/Acura)
1st class Economics / Monstorous Engines / Exterior Design - American (Cadillacs/ Dodge Hemis/ Chevy Corvettes)

Drive them all and you will realize there is only one ultimate driving machine.

The M45 may be a close call will have to wait and see.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Jan 6 2005, 01:35 PM
when i drove it, i didnt not have to go from 1-4, that is optional and only for the benefit of the driver.
Not optional, it only engages when you are driving slow.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 7 2005, 09:44 PM
[quote name='evperry' date='Jan 6 2005, 01:35 PM']when i drove it, i didnt not have to go from 1-4, that is optional and only for the benefit of the driver.
[snapback]76902[/snapback]
[/quote]

http://www.autosite.com/Reviews/2005-cadillac-cts-v.asp
GM includes something commonly referred to as ?skip-shift? on the Cadillac CTS-V in an effort to improve fuel economy. If the engine isn?t revved high enough when shifting from first gear into second, the transmission automatically slots down into fourth gear to conserve fuel.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I find it interesting people are still asking this question. This board is specifically for the BMW E60 enthusiast. I would suspect the majority of users here have already made up their mind. It is preaching to the choir.

The question to ask would be ?why are you an E60 enthusiast and what did you like and what didn't you like about the cars you are comparing it too?

For me, I looked at the E500, CTS-V, M45 (old style), and Jag S type.

E500: Good engine, horrible handling. more expensive and less options. I didn't like not having service included in the price. Most of all, reputation on reliability was too good.

CTS-V: This was the closest competitor to my 545. I even am a GM family and could have gotten this car for 5% below invoice with additional savings on top of that, as I still didn't choose it. The main reason, 6-speed transmission. My wife couldn't drive it. I guess with practice she would have gotten it. From what I learned about the car, the differential is giving GM trouble and is needing repair with in 5 o 8,000 miles. Too much power for the drive train. This didn't make since to me since it came from the Corvette, but I know 3 people with damaged rear ends. The other problem with the Cadillac was the interior. For 50K on a vehicle, the interior shouldn't feel and sound like a Suburban. The material is sub-par for a car in this class. I also didn't like the future outlook on the amount of depreciation. This car doesn't have a track record yet to prevent it from the dreaded American depreciation no matter how good it is.

(new) STS: I had the opportunity to drive this car before it was introduced in September. Good car, but again interior, depreciation an track record. Give Cadillac an additional 5 years and it might be up their with BMW.

M45: I liked this car, but my wife hated the styling. It is hard to overlook a $35K car with 300 hp. I didn't mind the sleeper look. The options were good, but I couldn't sell the wife on the looks.

Jag S-Type: All I can say is Lincoln LS. No matter what you do with a nice interior, it is still a Ford. I couldn't get over this. The handling wasn't what I was looking for, even with the sports package.

I was looking for a car I didn't need to modify to get the performance out of it. I have done enough modifying in the past and the cost of the modifications gave me the performance, but always was a hassle with warranty and reliability. With the 545, I didn't have to compromise anything, except for price. But you get what you pay for.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jan 7 2005, 07:05 PM
I find it interesting people are still asking this question.? This board is specifically for the BMW E60 enthusiast.? I would suspect the majority of users here have already made up their mind.? It is preaching to the choir.?

The question to ask would be ?why are you an E60 enthusiast and what did you like and what didn't you like about the cars you are comparing it too?
E500: Same reasons almost, more expensive and less options, and theres a TON more on the road Interior is nice tho.

CTS-V: American wont buy it. I like it admire it but wont own it.

STS? Didnt even consider it.

M45: Dont think it looks good enough. Looks are important for me...

Jag: Dont like it. I hate Fords and since they bought them over I will not support them.

GS430: Too old... the new styling is comming out next year. I prob wont get it either... doesnt drive as well and I dunno for me I dont want to pay so much for a Camry heheheh nor a Japanese car. Ya ya ya I know japanese makes more reliable cars blah blah blah better electronics la la la Dont want it.

German cars tend to earn a little more brownie points from me. So oh wells... just my preference.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Members

I was shifting at like 3000 rpm so you must have to drive VERY slow in order for it to engage. I didnt notice it at all.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 7 2005, 09:44 PM
[quote name='evperry' date='Jan 6 2005, 01:35 PM']when i drove it, i didnt not have to go from 1-4, that is optional and only for the benefit of the driver.
[snapback]76902[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 01-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

We've not taken delivery of our 5er yet. Our dealer also sells Infinitis, in fact we bought our G35c from them. I 'spose I could easily transfer my down payment over to an M45 if I wanted. I know they'd have no problem selling my 545i since none of them stay there more than a week from what I understand.

Long story short, the M45 is a very real option.

Not interested. Give me my 5er, glitchy software and all!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Originally Posted by 530iii' date='Jan 4 2005, 02:24 PM
If you could do it all over again would you still choose the 545i?
[snapback]75592[/snapback]
3 pages of thread and I haven't read any of them (but I will) to the orginal question a simple....YES! And this is after driving most of them. 545 is the best hands down

Quick Reply: 545i vs. GS 430 vs. M45 vs. E500 vs. CTS-v