The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Is a 530 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Age isnt anything to worry about... its not a Bently or Rolls not somthing totally out of the ordinary that someone younger cant own... I say if you can afford it without struggling to make ends meet or with out going into debt then go for it. Seems like you're ok... how much more is it a month than your current 330? $200 more a month? Insurance I dont think its that much more so wont worry about that.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Contributors

Get a 2005 545, euro-delivery, loaded. Take advantage of the current low Money Factor, get a good deal over euro-invoice, go to munich with your girlfriend , pick up the car and pay a little less than $700 in lease payment for a 36/12K miles deal.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 Lexus HS 250h...looking to get a 2011 535xi

Originally Posted by PCetera11' date='Feb 22 2005, 02:40 PM
Hi E60 Fans,

I also have a very good price on a loaded acura Tl.? I am affraid though i will miss rear wheel drive and the true sports car the BMW is.? I need your input. Go back to when you were 26.? Did you go and make a mistake on a more expensive car and in hindsight realize you should have done something differently.

Sincerely PC
[snapback]93242[/snapback]
I don't have anything terribly profound to add to all the excellent comments already posted. I currently have a 2004 Acura TL with MT which I got to replace a 330xi. While I love the gadget-factor of the car (DVD stereo, great navigation system, bluetooth), the torque steer is awful. I used to think that it was just something snotty car reviewers talked about in magazines. But it's all too real. (And I think it's more noticable because it's a manual transmission).

The TL is nice, but despite Acura's most valiant effort thus far, it still reminds me of an Accord. I still so clearly remember how my 330 drove and handled and I've come to the conclusion that there really is nothing like a BMW!

So, I'm patiently waiting a call from my dealer telling me when I can pre-order a 2006 530xi. (I want AWD cuz I don't want to deal with snow tires). The cost has me a bit nervous so I am also contemplating a 2006 330xi, but waiting until next fall (supposedly when the xi version will be available) might just kill me...

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Members

Hi everyone. Thanks for your personal reflections on my current situation with my car decision. You really all are a great bunch of individuals on this site. In fact, even if I do not purchase this car, i might remain on this site to learn more about the e60 because I believe if its not this lease, it willmost likely be the next.

I have to say, your posts have made me have to go back and re- think this whole trade up. Someone mentioned that I had two different classes of cars in my analysis. You are really on to something. I think I need to sit down and really decide what size car I need at this point in my life. I know I listed a S40 and a 530 in the same list. Makes me believe what I am really after is a manual shift car. But I will counter this by saying, out of that entire list, the 530/545/50 still reigns superior. But it just might not make sense at this juncture.

You also brought up good points about my living situation. I do have aspirations of owning a home, and thats one step most of you have already taken in life. Having just turned 26, renting is getting old quick. Maybe taking pride in owning a small home might be my next step. I really have to research this now..

With all of this said, my sales guy is going to call me back with a lease price. We will see where it falls in comparision to the 330i lease I have now.

The E90 might be a viable option... Just not too sure the lease price will be as fair as an e60 lease at the moment.

Thanks again for all of your messages. It has really made me have to decide if my car "lust" can fit with where I am going the next couple of years. Someone noted in a post that when you hit your mid twenties and you start making decent money, things get jumbled. All I have to say, is you are correct sir! Now I have to get it right.

Thanks again,

PC
Old 02-23-2005, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by PCetera11' date='Feb 22 2005, 03:40 PM
...Currently single but in a relationship that may lead to marriage....
...Basically, do you feel a 26 year old is worthy of such an automobile like a 530i. ...
...The question comes to mind whether or not I intend to buy a home.? I do in the future....
... But I love to drive interesting cars....
...I need your input. Go back to when you were 26.? Did you go and make a mistake on a more expensive car and in hindsight realize you should have done something differently....
[snapback]93242[/snapback]
Come on. Surely at your age you should be able to make a decision?? You'll never get on the property ladder or marry that girlfriend if you can't decide on a car.

If you'd got on the property ladder you'd be able to afford a proper impressive Porsche by now.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, silver/black, sports pck, premium sound, cold weather pck, SMG, NAV, sat. radio. Porsche 996 C2 '99

If you can make the payment get it now that you can...
Old 02-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rafael Montalvo' date='Feb 23 2005, 10:36 AM
If you can make the payment get it now that you can...
[snapback]93500[/snapback]

...not if it costs him a down payment on a property by stretching his monthly allowance

... get the BIG house(s) and then the BIG cars
Old 02-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

I'd recommend you look at what you can afford first, then decide on what type of car you're wanting to drive for the next few years.

I do not view the 3 series as a down grade to 5, just a differnt style.

IMO,

- Get the 3 if you want a sportier drive in a slightly smaller package.
- Go for the 5 if you want a larger car with slightly less sportiness.

For me at this moment, I'd prefer a nicely optioned 330 to a 530, but I don't need the extra rear leg room and trunk space and prefer a little more thrill.

Either way, they're both good choices...
Old 02-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, PCetera11 !
Old 02-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, pcetera11 !

i sincerely appreciate your honesty and so open to all of us about your financial status and background .

age is an issue for you if you are planning to get a audi a8, lexus ls430, rolls royce, bentley, etc. not because you can't afford one. just because those look a bit too mature for your age. some members in this board are under 20 but i don't hear any comments/topics like ""$%&! they think i'm driving my dad's car!" from them. i have a e39 in my 20's. bmw always has a younger image than the other manufacturers in the same class. so i don't think you'll have any problem to drive a e60 now.

but one thing you have to seriously think before you get your dream car. your girl and a new house. both of them will cost a lot of money. will you be able to afford a new wife, a new house, possibly a new baby and a new e60 at the same time? you do the math .

Quick Reply: Is a 530 right for me?