The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Is a 530 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses thus far. So far, the 330i has been a good car to own. It has had its niggles, like a blown headlight, but otherwise its performed well. I do like the e90. I think its got a great Interior and its basically a smaller scale 530.

I am a business owner, although I have a utility truck as I use as the write off, so this car is only for pleasure. I do drive this car though to work, but I have a personal auto policy, not commercial.

Thanks for your thoughts on the e90. Its good to hear that some folks in there 30's and 40's are steering me to the e90.

I have test driven all the other cars on my list, but none seem to drive quite like a rear drive sports machine. The acura TL looks great on paper, but the 270 hp to the front wheels is not that pleasant.

I guess I will have to ponder this some more, but please keep the comments coming. Anyone out there have any better alternatives they might suggest.

PC
Old 02-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Members

Get the 550i 06 or 330i 05.

- Yea, I wish the 550 was in the cards...maybe in a few years when I make my first fortune.

By the way are you Pete Cetera from the band Chicago?

-Actually got to meet Peter Cetera a couple times in the past few years. What an amazing singer, and person for that matter. He really epitomizes a class act. If you ever get to hang out with this guy, you'll pick up really quickly that he's very humble. And a kind person to boot. I think thats what shocked me most when I first met him. he's just an ordinary BMW fan like all of us. He's a car nut like the rest of us. Who would have thunk?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I had a Mercedes 190e 5pd and a MB 260e auto while I was in my twenties. The typical age demographic for a 530 is $150K yr and I think an age of 45ish. But if you love the car and you have the means to get it, I would.
Keep in mind that your choice is not $650/mo or $0/month, a lesser car may be $500/mo so you are talking is it worth $150/mo more per month to have the car you really want.
Your location is not listed buy here in NY, $150/mo is a dinner out or two.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by PCetera11' date='Feb 22 2005, 03:40 PM
Hi E60 Fans,

I would like to gain some insight from you guys in regards to whether or not the e60 is right for me.? I am age 26, I am making over 50,000 right now.? I do not own a home, rather I rent an apartment.? I save about 1000 a month.? I am a lessee at the moment with a 3 series.? Currently single but in a relationship that may lead to marriage.? No kids.? I need the use of 4 doors.? I enjoy my 3 series, but yearn for something a little more luxurious, and comfortable.? I love the 5 series, and if I could afford it, i would have a 545/550i.

But really, I am at a crossroads.? The next 3 series seems to be more adventerous which is a plus and I am not into 1 st year model glitches.? So i might pass on the 3, even though I love my current 330.? I am a standard driver, and really prefer a stick shift automobile.

Possible cars I am considering.

530i 06 (the dream car)
330i 05 (still love the look)
x3 Stick Shift version
Acura Tl 2005 - FWD big minus
Audi A4 2005.5
Audi A6 2005
Lexus Is300 2006
Boxster 2005
Volvo s60 AWDTurbo
Volvo S40 Stick

My heart really is with the 5.? As a business owner, its a real plus to drive clients in the backseat of a 5 verses my 3.? A 2 seater really is not an option unless its a base porsche.? I then worry that this porsche will get too much attention.

Leasing is best, since the residual and MF are great on 5 series.? If I go 5, I will order and recieve the new r6 engine with prem pack, cold weather pack, logic 7, and xenon lights.? 6 Speed.? Oddly enough, the lease price is decent for this vehicle.

Basically, do you feel a 26 year old is worthy of such an automobile like a 530i.? Do you think I should try my hand at a new 330i and then work up to a 5 in three years?? The question comes to mind whether or not I intend to buy a home.? I do in the future.? But I love to drive interesting cars.? At the moment I can afford a 5, and the insurance.? The monthly payment might be 650 a month, a bit of a jump from my current 330 lease.?

I also have a very good price on a loaded acura Tl.? I am affraid though i will miss rear wheel drive and the true sports car the BMW is.? I need your input. Go back to when you were 26.? Did you go and make a mistake on a more expensive car and in hindsight realize you should have done something differently.

I am already sold on the 530i.? I think its an incredible machine.? It drives like a dream.? Idrive, while tough, is something i can master.? Love the heated steering wheel.? But another part of me says, wait a minute, think things out.

If you have some spare time, please share with me your insight/wisdom/expertise that I may use to help me make a final decision.

Sincerely PC
[snapback]93242[/snapback]
PC

A very sincere post. Don't sell yourself short. I think you are way beyond your 26 years by simply having the ability to put yourself out there with this post. If you work hard, earn your money in a legit manner, then in my books you are worthy of anything you desire in life and age is not a reason not to have it.

I cannot comment on the 530i as I am very new to BMW products. I will be taking delivery of my new 545i this Friday. I will leave it to other to praise the virtue of the 530i.

One thing to consider is your earning potential 3 years from now, because it is tough to have to move down once you get used to the finer things in life. While it is no crime and nothing to be ashamed of, only you know your situation, I can only advise to look a bit further down the road.

Have noted the vehicles that you are considering, you note both entry level luxury and mid level luxury vehicles, try to decide on one class or the other and your choice will be much easier.

I did not see any Infiniti products noted, you should at least take a look at the new M35, I think that you will like it much more than the TL .

Good luck with your decision
Old 02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

if you are ready financially go for it don't wait, i will definitely recommend the sports package even if you have to take other options away.
you never will know what life is going to throw at you, may be anything. your car is one of the few things which gives you a pat on the back after a long day, babies you while you feel happy, cheers you up when you are down. spending a bit more on it is worth it.

i always notice other e60 drivers on the road, most are significantly older. hence it is nice to see a younger face driving the car. unless you look like a kid (daddy's car), i would think this person has done well for him/herself and has extremely fine taste.
the image on your clients will also be positive, seeing that you have done well in your profession, mature and responsible.

now lets get your camera ready and send/ post those new pics of your e60.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

PCetera11,

as my dad used to say to me whenever I asked "should I buy this or that?" he just said "son, your a long time dead, go for it....." and to be honest you sound like you've worked out your finances and already know what you can afford so I think you should just get the car you want now. If that is an E60 great! buy it, enjoy it

cheers
northernmonkey

ps: i am only 30 and i've had my E60 530i for 8 months now, never regretted buying it for one minute, yes it is more to run (slightly) than my old E46 318 coupe but that 3.0i engine more than makes up for it
Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

I agree that age is not a factor, just make sure that you won't regret after making up your decision..
Old 02-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2000 323Ci H&R Cup Kit w/ upgraded F&R Sway Bars 18 X 8.5 BBS RK's ECIS CAIS Dinan Stage 2 AA Gen 2 Exhaust RE SSK

Since it cannot be used as a business write-off, I'd personally not *stretch* for a 530 at this time...especially considering that you're currently renting your home. For me, owning real estate which historically appreciates has a higher priority. Also, not to be critical or negative -- it may not be a good idea to lease/buy a car that sells for close to your annual income. And this isn't coming from some 40-50 year old geezer, I was your age just 5 years ago, so I know what it feels like to be making somewhat decent (but not an excessive) amount of money when you're in your mid-20's. While it looks like you can swing the payments, it will come at the expense of owning real assets that will provide for future security or a future lifestyle that you'd want (family, nice house w/ furniture, etc, etc) down the road. If I were you, I'd look seriously at the E90's when they come out and look at the E60's the next time around (hopefully a V8 E60!). I'm assuming that you have to get rid of your E46 due to your lease terminating, otherwise I'd just tell you to keep it until you have taken care of some of these other financial issues. Stay patient, your dream car *will* come as long as you plan ahead and take care of other financial business! BTW - I've been patient for 5 years with my E46 coupe, and will finally be able to purchase an E60 V8 in early 2006.....
Old 02-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Members

I am 28, have had my 530i with Sport Package for about a month. I was coming from a '99 328i (manual) and a '02 X5 3.0 (manual). All great automobiles. This 530, however, is really something special. It is the perfect combo of sport from the 3 series and the luxury and room of the SUV. The Sport package is amazing, worth every penny.

I opted for no Nav. I figured the BMW Nav wasn't exceptional compared to most of the Asian brands of cars (the Inifini is pretty good) - so passed. But useful is useful, and if you need to, go for it.

Age doesn't matter. If you appreciate it for what it is that is all that matters. I am a car guy, it means more to me (the art of the car) than other people - I work my ass off all day, it feels great (and rewarding) to get into such a fine machine... One that puts a grin on my face everyday.

One more thing... This is the first automatic I have had in six years - this is a great, smart automatic... it holds the gears around turns and always seems to be in the right gear... much better than any automatic I have driven. I just rented an E320 for a few weeks - it was a sloth compared to the 530i....

Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributors

There were these young kids I knew who were always partying and enjoying life... Doing whatever they wanted to do... Having a good time. But I never partied with them. I played it safe and reasoned my way through everything I did.

Do you regret it, Grandpa?

EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE!

... Life is too short Brother. Get what you want and enjoy it. The house will come in time, so will the marraige, and kids, then the lock down of fatherhood, and work, and debt, and blah, blah, blah... And you'll look back and say, damn, I should have brought that 5 series and enjoyed life when I was young.

I just buried two friends from Iraq in the last six months. 28 and 23. Life is short... Enjoy it. It's the little luxuries that make life worth living.

Quick Reply: Is a 530 right for me?