The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2010 Subaru WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been doing a little more online shopping and other forum research. This whole HPFP failure thing is certainly worrisome. Some say it's not if but when. New models aren't immune. Sounds like the SMG pump fiasco with the E60 M5. Fortunately, I was never victim of that in my 3 years of ownership.

I found a really sweet 09 335 online today. Has the crappy old man burl wood trim, but otherwise looks noice. Gonna look into that one a bit further tomorrow. Oy....decisions, decisions...
Old 04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I couldn't stomach looking at the Subie's plain jane interior. But it might be better than risking the HPFP fiasco that afflicts so many of the N54 engines. If you are considering Japanese, why not consider an Infiniti G37? Similar acceleration to the 335 and similar level of grip but no major reliability issues (although the suspension lacks BMW refinement and the noise/vibration levels are higher than the BMW).
Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871
I couldn't stomach looking at the Subie's plain jane interior. But it might be better than risking the HPFP fiasco that afflicts so many of the N54 engines. If you are considering Japanese, why not consider an Infiniti G37? Similar acceleration to the 335 and similar level of grip but no major reliability issues (although the suspension lacks BMW refinement and the noise/vibration levels are higher than the BMW).
Yup, the Subie interior is relatively crappy. But I think I'd go ape shit if the pump failure thing became a recurrent problem.

Not a big fan of Infinity styling, so I'm leaving that out of consideration for simplicity sake.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by bonehead
Yup, the Subie interior is relatively crappy. But I think I'd go ape shit if the pump failure thing became a recurrent problem.

Not a big fan of Infinity styling, so I'm leaving that out of consideration for simplicity sake.
Well, I guess if you don't the way it looks than that's a deal breaker. I sure don't think that the STI is a good looking car but I do respect its performance and easily moddability.

My 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport was a terrific car.

I think Infiniti builds some excellent cars. But they still do not know how to make a balanced suspension. The sport suspensions on Infinitis make the cars attack the twisties with gusto -- but at the expense of just about all ride comfort.

My wife and I are on vacation in Japan. It is funny to see that what is a called an Infiniti in the US is badged as a Nissan in Japan. Want an Infiniti M45? It's called the Nissan Fuga here. Somehow, I like the ring of M45 better than that of "Nissan Fuga".
Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Get a 335, Ed.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

I don't know what it is but a 335i calls my name and all it has above the STi to me is improved interior styling/luxury and slightly nicer and more subtle exterior styling. I blame it on the BMW badge and the "status" symbol that it carries.

The Subie has matched if not better all around performance (AWD ftw!), cheaper to mod, is a ton more reliable, and has $10k+ less sticker price compared to a new 335i. The best value is clearly the Subie but for some reason I still want a 335i next and that's probably where I'll head. If you want performance and reliability go with the STi. If you want performance with the "status" but probably added headaches down the road go with the 335i. You already have a TT so I don't think you have to worry about the status part though . Another option to look at is the Subaru WRX (non STi) since it is equally as fast as the STi in the 1/4 mile somehow and is considerably cheaper.

I love the performance of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru WRX STi but the stupid boy racer scene in California ruins the image of the car and drivers of these cars. I almost bought a 2005 Lancer Evo but after one day on the forums, I couldn't stand it. Way too immature and too many spelling and grammatical errors.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TakmaN
I don't know what it is but a 335i calls my name and all it has above the STi to me is improved interior styling/luxury and slightly nicer and more subtle exterior styling. I blame it on the BMW badge and the "status" symbol that it carries.

The Subie has matched if not better all around performance (AWD ftw!), cheaper to mod, is a ton more reliable, and has $10k+ less sticker price compared to a new 335i. The best value is clearly the Subie but for some reason I still want a 335i next and that's probably where I'll head. If you want performance and reliability go with the STi. If you want performance with the "status" but probably added headaches down the road go with the 335i. You already have a TT so I don't think you have to worry about the status part though . Another option to look at is the Subaru WRX (non STi) since it is equally as fast as the STi in the 1/4 mile somehow and is considerably cheaper.

I love the performance of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru WRX STi but the stupid boy racer scene in California ruins the image of the car and drivers of these cars. I almost bought a 2005 Lancer Evo but after one day on the forums, I couldn't stand it. Way too immature and too many spelling and grammatical errors.
Lol. Great response. Part of me does want the BMW for the 'status' thing. Not so much so I can say I drive a BMW but more so that I don't have to say I drive an STi I'm almost 40. Don' t need be looking like a 20 year old ricer

I love the look of the older (VIII, IX) Evo's. But like you said, can't escape the ricer heritage.

Looking into a 335 as we speak. If I cant make it work without losing my a$$ in the trade, I may go for it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by bonehead
Lol. Great response. Part of me does want the BMW for the 'status' thing. Not so much so I can say I drive a BMW but more so that I don't have to say I drive an STi I'm almost 40. Don' t need be looking like a 20 year old ricer

I love the look of the older (VIII, IX) Evo's. But like you said, can't escape the ricer heritage.

Looking into a 335 as we speak. If I cant make it work without losing my a$$ in the trade, I may go for it.
Nice! I hope the 335i is either new or CPO? I'm in the same boat with you on the older Evo's, love how aggressive they look but I don't fit in with the scene of JDM and "the shocker" stickers all over the car. Also considering that I'm Asian doesn't help me avoid the ricer image.

Whatever you choose keep us updated and good luck!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Neither car. Use your Porsche as the DD. You spent that much on the car, make use of it and look great everywhere you go.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Neither car. Use your Porsche as the DD. You spent that much on the car, make use of it and look great everywhere you go.
We'll call that Plan B, Tony

Quick Reply: 2010 Subaru WRX STi