The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2010 Subaru WRX STi

Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I know. It's not 5 series 'competition'. But it is competition for a 3-series. In the market for a replacement for my Mini as a DD. Need something with more space, 4 doors. Still has to be fun (read: decent power and no autobox crap). 305 hp, 290 lb/ft tq. Comparable power to an E90 335i sedan which is the only other car in the running right now. A '10 STi will run a few thou more than a comparable '07 335i. But I've been searching high and low for a moderately optioned and CPO'd 335i 6 speed without luck.

Sooooo, I test drove this hot hatch today.

Obsidian Black, silver BBS wheels/Navi package (essentially the only factory option you can get for this car). 180 miles on the odo (guess it's been test driven a LOT). First thing I noticed were tons of child handprints on the door panels. I assume those will just wash off, but some were kinda 'sticky'. Ick.

Interior is pretty spartan, bit plasticky. Cluster is okay. Good visibility, lights up a cool red when illuminated. It's a wagon, so it's pretty roomy. Fold the back seats and you can haul a good deal of stuff. Would be very good as a backup family car (wifey's ML 350 will be the primary family hauler). Front seats are manually adjusted (thought they were power). Not a biggie as my Mini is the same way. Look cool with the black leather/grey alcantara with red stitching. But the side bolsters are not very supportive as I thought they would be.

Shifter is nice. Very short throws, little notchy. And why the hell do the Japanese put 'R' down and to the right? Clutch engages VERY quickly. As in an inch off the floor. Stalled it going out of the lot Exhaust has the typical Scoobie Boxer burble, obviously not as pronounced as the modded STI's with fart cans. Pretty good power. Couldn't throw it into corners as the salesman was sitting next to me.

BMW is still in the running (assuming I can actually find a good one). What the hell should I do?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Those things are fun as hell in the snow! If ur a boarder/skiier fvck en A go for it
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Depends, if you are going to mod heavily - go with the Subie, parts are WAAAAAAAAY less expensive. The WRX is a fun little car to throw around, you'd be surprised at the handling and build quality of the Subies. Good luck - I know of the 3 coworkers I have that have 335's each has had at least one HPFP problem and 2 are looking at lemon law for getting their investment back, save your $$$ the turbo BMW's are far from worth it.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skelevirus
Those things are fun as hell in the snow! If ur a boarder/skiier fvck en A go for it
No snow for me. Live in the desert
Old 04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Depends, if you are going to mod heavily - go with the Subie, parts are WAAAAAAAAY less expensive. The WRX is a fun little car to throw around, you'd be surprised at the handling and build quality of the Subies. Good luck - I know of the 3 coworkers I have that have 335's each has had at least one HPFP problem and 2 are looking at lemon law for getting their investment back, save your $$$ the turbo BMW's are far from worth it.
No modding (but that's what I always say). All my mod money goes to the TT. This would be a DD, albeit a fun one.
I've heard about the fuel pump issues before. Not sure I'd necessarily rule out the 335 because of it as long as the warranty was intact.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bonehead
No modding (but that's what I always say). All my mod money goes to the TT. This would be a DD, albeit a fun one.
I've heard about the fuel pump issues before. Not sure I'd necessarily rule out the 335 because of it as long as the warranty was intact.
I would I hate loaners, and any car that will give me a better than even chance of me driving a loaner for an extended period needs to go. I saw my mother go through that with her Jaguar V-12 in the 80's and I would NEVER willingly put myself through the same thing (hence the reason I will never drive a Jag)
Old 04-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
I would I hate loaners, and any car that will give me a better than even chance of me driving a loaner for an extended period needs to go. I saw my mother go through that with her Jaguar V-12 in the 80's and I would NEVER willingly put myself through the same thing (hence the reason I will never drive a Jag)
Suppose that would be annoying to say the least. So far (knock on wood), I've had fairly reliable vehicles. Aside from my current TT aftermarket suspension nightmare, I haven't had a car in the shop for any prolonged period of time. Definitely something to consider. Thx
Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bonehead
Suppose that would be annoying to say the least. So far (knock on wood), I've had fairly reliable vehicles. Aside from my current TT aftermarket suspension nightmare, I haven't had a car in the shop for any prolonged period of time. Definitely something to consider. Thx

Well, my wife drives a Subie (07 Tribeca) and growing up in Colorado (where it snows anytime during the year - any year) Subies were still on the road and looking good 20 years and many hundreds of thousands of miles after they were bought. They were incredible little runners with terrific engines and transmissions. I'd get another Subie without hesitation
Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: bmw 530d bmw x5 3.0d bmw 320i opel corsa opc bmw 135i dct

hav u chkd the sedan version - looks
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Members

get the bmw..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Subaru WRX STi