The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2010 Porsche 911 Turbo with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='970063' date='Aug 9 2009, 05:10 AM
Yes swajames, you beat me to it. You either are subscribed to Porsche news, or religiously check Porsche home page on a daily basis

Now, about the Turbo mk II:

I expected the design to suffer some more 'radical' changes, more aggressive but nothing like this. For example i find the Porsche 911 GT3 mk II changes much more aggressive than mk I. I also head the same thing will be applied to the GT3 RS, featuring a near identical FIA GT series wing So the "changes" in design were a bit of a disappointment.

Also what was a disappointment is the power of the mk II Turbo: only 20 more bhp than the MK I !!! I expected at least the same output of the current GT2, if not more.

Finally though, the long waited PDK found it's way in the Turbo. This should be a sensation! Looking at the numbers 3.4 sec for 0-100 km/h is truly outstanding. The dynamic engine mounts are a warm welcome also. Also welcome (talking from own experience) is the new feature that allows a rear wheel to independently get more torque than the other inner wheel. This similar system was deployed in the X6 as an option and let me tell you it's worth every penny, and you can really feel it work on tight bends even in a 2.3 tone car.

Conclusion: Nice but if only they would fit the PDK to the GT3 and for me it would be a no brainer. I can't quite look at the GT3 as an only manual car. Pity!
In fairness, Andrei, this isn't really a new model, it's just the first facelift/LCI Turbo and as such it was never going to have a redesign, it was always going to be the internals that were the focus here. You're right that power isn't up all that much, but it didn't need to be because with PDK the car is so much faster than its predecessor. Porsche has basically taken this from a 3.9 second car to a 3.2 second car with just 20 bhp more - and it's largely down to PDK. The new engine does, however, give much better fuel economy and much lower emissions. If you have a 3.2 second car, you have to think that's fast enough... There's VERY little out there that's faster, and what there is typically needed much greater power to match or beat the Turbo. As I said, the big news here is PDK.

As for the GT3, I think you're right, it probably will come with PDK at some point but if it does the "purists" will be up in arms... It is seen as something of a badge of honor that the GT3 is only ever available with the 6 speed manual. There's no doubt the car will be even quicker (particularly around the track) with the PDK.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='970084' date='Aug 9 2009, 05:13 PM
In fairness, Andrei, this isn't really a new model, it's just the first facelift/LCI Turbo and as such it was never going to have a redesign, it was always going to be the internals that were the focus here. You're right that power isn't up all that much, but it didn't need to be because with PDK the car is so much faster than its predecessor. Porsche has basically taken this from a 3.9 second car to a 3.2 second car with just 20 bhp more - and it's largely down to PDK. The new engine does, however, give much better fuel economy and much lower emissions. If you have a 3.2 second car, you have to think that's fast enough... There's VERY little out there that's faster, and what there is typically needed much greater power to match or beat the Turbo. As I said, the big news here is PDK.

As for the GT3, I think you're right, it probably will come with PDK at some point but if it does the "purists" will be up in arms... It is seen as something of a badge of honor that the GT3 is only ever available with the 6 speed manual. There's no doubt the car will be even quicker (particularly around the track) with the PDK.
Yeah Steve, but look at the GT3 mk II compared to 997 GT3 mk I. I like how they made the big front grills way bigger and gave it a much more aggressive stance. Also the wing looks even better than 997 GT3 RS (not that means very much...but..). Maybe they should have copied the GT3 front bumper, and dump the LEDs in front of the side front grills.

True that the new performance is astonishing, mostly by the PDK but thin of what 530 bhp ( GT2 power) or even 550 bhp would have done ! I mean talking official 2.9 second times or lower. If you're going to blow away the competition, might wanna do it in full strength.

And BTW i would like to see now a 2008 Nissan GTR (with LC) and the 997 Turbo mk II with LC (i assume it has one) in a drag race.

IF they decide to do the PDK on the GT3 that would be DOPE. I wouldn't care if the Turbo would be much faster on straights, but the sheer 8500 rpm redline and screamer NA engine, mated with the PDK would really be something a Ferrari F430 Scuderia should be afraid of. And not to mention the ability to become a real daily driver.

For me if it doesn't come with a sequential / double clutch gearbox, it can't be a daily driver (thinking of the heavy traffic here, driving a manual on a GT3 = real left foot pain).
Old 08-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='970097' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:34 AM
Yeah Steve, but look at the GT3 mk II compared to 997 GT3 mk I. I like how they made the big front grills way bigger and gave it a much more aggressive stance. Also the wing looks even better than 997 GT3 RS (not that means very much...but..). Maybe they should have copied the GT3 front bumper, and dump the LEDs in front of the side front grills.

True that the new performance is astonishing, mostly by the PDK but thin of what 530 bhp ( GT2 power) or even 550 bhp would have done ! I mean talking official 2.9 second times or lower. If you're going to blow away the competition, might wanna do it in full strength.

And BTW i would like to see now a 2008 Nissan GTR (with LC) and the 997 Turbo mk II with LC (i assume it has one) in a drag race.

IF they decide to do the PDK on the GT3 that would be DOPE. I wouldn't care if the Turbo would be much faster on straights, but the sheer 8500 rpm redline and screamer NA engine, mated with the PDK would really be something a Ferrari F430 Scuderia should be afraid of. And not to mention the ability to become a real daily driver.

For me if it doesn't come with a sequential / double clutch gearbox, it can't be a daily driver (thinking of the heavy traffic here, driving a manual on a GT3 = real left foot pain).
Good points, I have to say if the GT3 did have PDK it would be phenomenal. I reckon we'll see PDK in the GT3 within a year. 997.2 owners with PDK say it is awesome on track and the GT3 was already built to be a track monster so PDK can only improve on that.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

0-60 in 3 sec. Thats f'kin fast. I should dream about getting one....
Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='970101' date='Aug 9 2009, 05:43 PM
Good points, I have to say if the GT3 did have PDK it would be phenomenal. I reckon we'll see PDK in the GT3 within a year. 997.2 owners with PDK say it is awesome on track and the GT3 was already built to be a track monster so PDK can only improve on that.
I sure pray you are right! Heck if Porsche does it, i'm sold !
Old 08-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

PDK is probably in a league of it's own, as far as transmissions go - if reviews are anything to go by, but overall, it is a great thing to have a machine execute shifts for you and do it so much more effectively that...
Originally Posted by swajames' post='970084
0-60 in 3 sec. Thats f'kin fast. I should dream about getting one....
Ruf made a "911-based" sports car in 1989 that ran 3.3-3.4 seconds. I'm guessing 0-60 is not the only difference here. I'd look to see improvements in 50-125mph bursts, not to mention the braking distance and improvements in fade resistance.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Contributors

i need money. a lot of it. now.