The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2007 S-Class Mercedes on www.Automobile.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven an E55.... it's really an amazing car..... the handling is FAR from terrible... did my 545i handle better? certainly.... but really, for everyday driving.... who's running their car at the limits of handling on the street??? if you are, then you've got issues, and your probably going to total your car... most are more likey to have fun by hammering it from a stoplight doing 0-60 in just over 4 seconds.....

I would take the E55 over the 545i any day of the week.... the E55 and M5 are certainly competitors for eachother.... can't wait to see them go head to head.... as soon as BMW can get em over here to the states.... I'll bet the E55 outruns the M5 to the speed limiters, and the M5 handles better.....

I wish BMW would make competitors for a lot of MB cars... they have nothing against the C55, SLK55, any of SL series, don't even mention the 645 convert.... how could BMW put a soft top on that@!@# I would take the 645 over the CLK anyday though...

nothing for the S55,S600,S65.... nothing for the CL600, CL65..... nothing for the SLR, although I think that got canned...

the M3 takes the CLK55 though....

I think it's awsome that MB is cranking out these AMG cars for each line....

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 20 2005, 06:05 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Jun 20 2005, 03:27 PM']agree on both fiksegts and your comment about m5 vs e55, apples and apples.? however, who cares about a fast car but you don't connect with it ?
[snapback]141340[/snapback]
Exactly!

If you want a drag racer...get a Corvette...now, let's not go there...
[snapback]141348[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 06-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Jun 20 2005, 05:06 PM
I've driven an E55....? it's really an amazing car.....? the handling is FAR from terrible...? did my 545i handle better?? certainly....? but really, for everyday driving....? who's running their car at the limits of handling on the street???? if you are, then you've got issues, and your probably going to total your car...? most are more likey to have fun by hammering it from a stoplight doing 0-60 in just over 4 seconds.....?

I would take the E55 over the 545i any day of the week....? the E55 and M5 are certainly competitors for eachother....? can't wait to see them go head to head....? as soon as BMW can get em over here to the states....? I'll bet the E55 outruns the M5 to the speed limiters, and the M5 handles better.....

I wish BMW would make competitors for a lot of MB cars... they have nothing against the C55, SLK55, any of SL series, don't even mention the 645 convert.... how could BMW put a soft top on that@!@#? I would take the 645 over the CLK anyday though...

nothing for the S55,S600,S65....? nothing for the CL600, CL65.....? nothing for the SLR, although I think that got canned...

the M3 takes the CLK55 though....

I think it's awsome that MB is cranking out these AMG cars for each line....

[quote name='stream' date='Jun 20 2005, 06:05 PM'][quote name='alohalc' date='Jun 20 2005, 03:27 PM']agree on both fiksegts and your comment about m5 vs e55, apples and apples.? however, who cares about a fast car but you don't connect with it ?
[snapback]141340[/snapback]
Exactly!

If you want a drag racer...get a Corvette...now, let's not go there...
[snapback]141348[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]141377[/snapback]
[/quote]

The E55 is an amazing car...when sheer acceleration is the criteria. In fact, the car has more power than the chassis can handle. I owned one (and sold it after 4 months because of the very disappointing driving experience), and I can tell you that for a car in that price category, the handling is terrible, the steering is numb, and worst of all are the brakes--they are very non-linear, like on/off switches. Stopping was a chore.

Taking the E55 over the 545i any day of the week...guess it depends on what you're looking for. There's only so many time that going 0 - 60 mph in 4.3 seconds is the definition of driving enjoyment.

"most are more likey to have fun by hammering it from a stoplight doing 0-60 in just over 4 seconds"

Like I said, if that's what somebody is looking for, buy a Corvette.

I've driven several AMG cars, and they are basically luxo sedans with incredible power, but not "drivers cars." I like a connected driving experience all the time vs. an occasional adrenalin rush.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Members

corvette.... no vettes..... I've got my 1996 Dodge Viper GTS for dragging around.... I know you're not going to insult the Viper's handling now....

BTW, the current E55 is quicker than the current Vettes.... friend of mine sold is 2004 E55 for a C6 Vette....

He's always at the track... best time for his E55 was 12.1 @ 118, and the best time for the C6 Vette is 12.5 @ 110..... that is a SEVERE beating...

as for brakes, I have to argue the other way..... I think the 545i's brakes are touchy, and it's difficult to bring the car to a stop smoothly.... BMW knows this, they're even going as far as adding the smooth stop feature with DSC+ to the car.....
Old 06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

I did this in another thread and I'll do it again here:
2007 S-Class Mercedes on www.Automobile.com-bmwvsmb.jpg2007 S-Class Mercedes on www.Automobile.com-bmwvsmb2.jpg

again FikseGTS, u make me laugh when u speak of the Viper's handling, like it has some benchmark when it comes to handling! that is the silliest thing yet. the only thing that car has is brute force just like the e55. I'm not into drag strip racing, I find quite boring. I much prefer being connected to the road and in case of an emergency the handling is much of a higher priority. Now don't get me wrong the e55's handling is not like driving a maxima or anything but after you drive a BMW you always have to compare the mediocare to the superlative. The only bmw I've ever driven is the X5, and it is the benchmark for SUV driving it handles better than the cayene S( not turbo, too much power) and worlds apart from the M-class( my cousin owns 1). but again to each his own, I'm sure my opinion aint gonna do much to someone who already has an opinion that differs from mine now. But it is still ncie to share it,
Old 06-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Members

You're hilarious...... you're talking about handling of BMW's, and the only bimmer you've driven is the X5...... the Cayenne turbo has too much power??

and saying that Viper GTS handles well is silly? right..... it only pulls 1G around corners, and does close to 70 MPH in slalom tests.... oh and the near 50/50 weight distribution is terrible as well right? I've done roadracing, autocrossing, and speed trials with it.... it handles VERY well...

you obviously have no clue.... but it's entertaining to read your posts.... after I've driven a BMW? did you miss that I had a 545i????

Originally Posted by Simple1' date='Jun 21 2005, 06:48 PM
again FikseGTS, u make me laugh when u speak of the Viper's handling, like it has some benchmark when it comes to handling!? that is the silliest thing yet.? the only thing that car has is brute force just like the e55.? I'm not into drag strip racing, I find quite boring.? I much prefer being connected to the road and in case of an emergency the handling is much of a higher priority.? Now don't get me wrong the e55's handling is not like driving a maxima or anything but after you drive a BMW you always have to compare the mediocare to the superlative.? The only bmw I've ever driven is the X5, and it is the benchmark for SUV driving it handles better than the cayene S( not turbo, too much power) and worlds apart from the M-class( my cousin owns 1).? but again to each his own, I'm sure my opinion aint gonna do much to someone who already has an opinion that differs from mine now.? But it is still ncie to share it,?
[snapback]141726[/snapback]
Old 06-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

If you read the post properly I meant that the x5 can't hang with the cayenne turbo, it has too much power for the x5 to even smell it!! (it would be foolish of me to imply such a thing) I don't know why the defensive post, I know u already have a 545i it's nuffin to me I'm sure you deserve it. I don't argee with your opinion of one car, that's it, nothing here to get defensive about. I think u might want to read my post again, I NEVER stated the handling of the VIPER was terrible, or the weight distrubution. It's built as a sport car I would hope it would have an almost perfect distrubution of weight. I never said it was a bad car, but I know one thing is that it has more brute force than handling prowness. and don't worrie I'm sure more people find ur posts more entertaining than mine, I'm no comedian.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

here is one more.

[attachment=10929:attachment]
Old 07-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

It looks like a 7 series, Phaeton, and A8 all put together into one car. I hate that attached look with the dials and the nav. It's one of the reasons i took the 5 over the new A6.

cheers,
Jack
Old 07-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Jun 20 2005, 05:06 PM
I would take the E55 over the 545i any day of the week....

FikseGTS, if you would take the E55 over the 545 any day of the week what made you decide to get the 545?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a link to earlier comments I posted about the E55 vs. 545i:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=50172

Quick Reply: 2007 S-Class Mercedes on www.Automobile.com