The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

2002 A4 1.8T versus new 520d SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After my third update call from my friendly dealer (well they haven't got my money yet ), I have been given a delivery date of 12th June.

In excited anticipation of my very first BMW (520d SE saloon, Monaco blue, styling 116 alloys with RFT and a spare wheel , black dakota, brushed aluminium trim, media pack, visibility pack, advanced a/c, heated fronts, high beam assist, extended lights package, non smokers pack, model deletion and 3 years service), what differencies should I expect from my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Avant (150bhp )?

What is it like to own an E60? Does a 4 pot diesel still count?

Feel free to post as many serious and/or funny comments as you wish!

P.S. I'm also running this thread on bmwland.co.uk so it will be interesting to compare the quality and quantity of replies!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Hi, I can't really compare the 1.8T A4 Avant with the 520d, but I can compare a 1.9 TDI A4 Avant and a 1.8T Audi TT with it, so close.

The BM doesn't feel as solid as the AUDIs, not to be confused with reliability. Some of the materials aren't quite as nice inside and frankly the paintwork is rather orange peely in comparison. Otherwise it is absolutely streets ahead. Although it is a bigger car it shrinks around you. Suspension and general refinement is astonishing, even the 4pot Oil burner, which is only really uncouth from outside. It is very smooth and deceptively fast, but less urgent than the A4. Once you have recalibrated your head to the BMW rather than the Audi way of doing things it makes perfect sense. The only real blot is the slow-witted i-drive. Initially I thought I just needed to adjust to its foibles and all would be sweetness and light. So every morning I open the garage door as I put my shoes on (obviously by remote control) and unlock the car to give the i-drive a chance to wipe the sleep out of its eyes and have a ciggy. But it still takes forever to boot up. I, like you, have ProNav. It may be because the car is garaged and it is a bit bewildered as to where it is first thing in the morning!

One comment I would make with your choice of spec. is did you try an M-Sport before purchasing an SE. I tested both at the same time and found the M-Sport to be quieter i.e. less road noise, have lighter steering and more supportive seats (I found the SE items exruciating after 45mins after initially being very comfy). There appeared to be no trade off with discomfort from the firmer suspension.

You'll love it.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='283290' date='May 16 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi, I can't really compare the 1.8T A4 Avant with the 520d, but I can compare a 1.9 TDI A4 Avant and a 1.8T Audi TT with it, so close.

The BM doesn't feel as solid as the AUDIs, not to be confused with reliability. Some of the materials aren't quite as nice inside and frankly the paintwork is rather orange peely in comparison. Otherwise it is absolutely streets ahead. Although it is a bigger car it shrinks around you. Suspension and general refinement is astonishing, even the 4pot Oil burner, which is only really uncouth from outside. It is very smooth and deceptively fast, but less urgent than the A4. Once you have recalibrated your head to the BMW rather than the Audi way of doing things it makes perfect sense. The only real blot is the slow-witted i-drive. Initially I thought I just needed to adjust to its foibles and all would be sweetness and light. So every morning I open the garage door as I put my shoes on (obviously by remote control) and unlock the car to give the i-drive a chance to wipe the sleep out of its eyes and have a ciggy. But it still takes forever to boot up. I, like you, have ProNav. It may be because the car is garaged and it is a bit bewildered as to where it is first thing in the morning!

One comment I would make with your choice of spec. is did you try an M-Sport before purchasing an SE. I tested both at the same time and found the M-Sport to be quieter i.e. less road noise, have lighter steering and more supportive seats (I found the SE items exruciating after 45mins after initially being very comfy). There appeared to be no trade off with discomfort from the firmer suspension.

You'll love it.
I moved from an A4 1.8T (01 150bhp model) to 525i SE auto. A huge difference. agree with much of what is said above with regards to interior build quality but the 5 series knocks the socks off the A4 in terms of fun, image, driveability and refinement . You will love it, and more to the point you will love have a car that is not driven by the masses as seems to be the case with the A4 in the UK these days.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

I have come from an A4 1.9 TDI (130) SE to a 530 (231) D SE and and there is a world of difference to me. Only had it 2 weeks but it makes the A4 look like a small toy car. The power and refinement are un- comparable and I have not even put my foot down yet

I do have a concern for you going for the 520 as I tried a 525D and found it a bit sluggish

I hope the perfomance disadvantage is out weighed by the handling and poise advantage
Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='283326' date='May 16 2006, 11:10 PM
I have come from an A4 1.9 TDI (130) SE to a 530 (231) D SE and and there is a world of difference to me. Only had it 2 weeks but it makes the A4 look like a small toy car. The power and refinement are un- comparable and I have not even put my foot down yet

I do have a concern for you going for the 520 as I tried a 525D and found it a bit sluggish

I hope the perfomance disadvantage is out weighed by the handling and poise advantage

Suprised, the 525d is far more flexible than the 1.8T A4. Just remember that a 525D is faster from 50 to 75 MPH than a 530i (though you have the great 530d) and only a fraction of a second behind the 540i.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Members

Actually the difference between the 520 and 525 diesels from 0-62 is ony half a second, so its not really going to make a whole lot of difference.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Paul_B' post='283538' date='May 17 2006, 09:40 AM
Actually the difference between the 520 and 525 diesels from 0-62 is ony half a second, so its not really going to make a whole lot of difference.

20% extra torque and two extra cylinders does in my mind.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Members

i went from a 1.9 tdi golf mkv. to a 520d se. comments on here are spot on. the 520d is adequate and is deceptively powerful. i've also had a mk4 gti 1.8t 150bhp and it's nearly as quick but doesnt feel as fast as the 1.8T. have you gone for the auto? i wasnt too impressed with the 520d initially but it is loosening up and this helps ALOT.
(doesnt help that i have driven other 530d's in the past!)

theres always dms who can remap from 163 to 208 bhp. giving a fair bit more power than the 525d.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Members

Looks like the consensus is that it will make a big difference, so don't fret about the change brommy and look forward to many a happy mile.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Members

Hi

I had 3 x A4's all diesels and my last one was a 1.9tdi Quattro Sport Avant. Last car was a 3.2DSG TT Coupe.

Had my 520D Msport for about a week now and delighted with it. Plenty quick enough for todays road conditions and really good for relaxed motorway cruising.

Observations? I do think Audis' fit and finish is superior but the E60 rides, steers and handles much better. There is also a huge amount more space (obviously.)

Performance wise, whilst I have not driven the 6 cylinder diesels as the 525D did not seem worth the extra ?3K, I am more than happy with the 2.0 litre engine coupled with a manual box. My previous car was quick, but in the real world you hardly get to use the performance and I am certain the 520 will get better with a few miles on the clock. On the few occasions I have put my foot down whilst I am running in there seems plenty punch.

Enjoy your new car.

Andy

Quick Reply: 2002 A4 1.8T versus new 520d SE