Buyer & Seller Feedback Post feedback about buyers and sellers doing business on the forums.

Handling an Unhappy Customer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Done and handled. Thanks everyone for your insight. It does help me understand what my customers expect.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Though this mattery had to be opened to public pole I am glad it worked out for everyone and only goes to prove that Michael is an excelent vendor
Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Based on this post and others with similar scenarios I would recommend that "signature required " is mandatory unless the customer declines. And if declined the customer will sign off and accept responsibility once the shipper verified it was "delivered".

I receive lots of FedEx, Priority Mail, and UPS stuff and if I can't be here to sign (when that is required) I know how to handle it. But then I live in an area where NOTHING disappears from my porch - not even dog poop :-(

Glad this worked out in the end for all!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by mcjimmy33
First off, I am the customer. There was no threat made. I stated that since he was unwilling to work with me I would cancel my cc payment on the item and post the information on the forum. Michael has left out some details. I have left voicemails for him the past two days. Instead of calling me back, he emails me today stating he will see what he can do. Less than five minutes later, he emails me again stating theres nothing he can do.

I did not recieve the item, I am not going to pay for it. Michael makes one phone call to UPS and then has wiped his hands clean of the problem. This level of customer support is not acceptable and should be documented. While I am sure he has has 1000 happy customers, he has shown that he will not work with customers who have an issue. Had I recieved the package, you could put me in the happy customer category. In fact, I was working out wheels to purchase from Michael. Since he now feels the need to take my 215 dollars, which my cc may or may not refund, he has lost my $2500 wheel purchase and hopefully business from others.

I can vouch for Michael, he will DEFINITELY work with a customer that has an issue (I did and he took quick care of it).

As for cancelling the CC payment, you might want to check with an attorney before you do that. If a vendor can prove they acted in good faith and completed their obligation - which Michael did here, he did his part, he shipped what you ordered. If that's the case (as my atty sister has told me) you can be charged with fraud, turns out you can;t cancel CC transactions whenever you feel like it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841
every instance I have ever heard of something like this in the past, the company just sent a new item at no charge, but it is typically inexpensive items (sub-$200) and the items are from a place like Amazon.com, which can afford to do this without blinking.

People taking pakages off doorsteps happens ALL OF THE TIME. People also lie all of the time. Who is responsible for requiring a signature? You? Customer? UPS Man? Was this an extremely high dollar item? If so, why was no signature required? I have had to drive to the UPS hub to pick stuff up when they tried to deliver twice when I wasnt home.

Good luck.
+1

Um In regard to Fed Ex Signatures.. even if your sitting out in front of the house and you can prove who you are, they WILL NOT deliver to you. Fed Ex says you have to be inside the house when driver comes to the door. So in theory a complete stranger could sign for your stuff. 100% of the time all vendors should use signatures but it doesnt mean its going to get to you. .I witnessed this situation. F'd up isnt it

As the seller you gotta put signature...As a consumer you gotta know your area and take the steps to get your stuff delivered to the right address with minimal exposure and then communicate to the vendor these steps.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor

Oh yeah for sure if he had reversed the charge he would've lost. The UPS tracking # showing that it was delivered would've been proof enough that I held up to my end of the trasnsaction.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by pjinca
I can vouch for Michael, he will DEFINITELY work with a customer that has an issue (I did and he took quick care of it).

As for cancelling the CC payment, you might want to check with an attorney before you do that. If a vendor can prove they acted in good faith and completed their obligation - which Michael did here, he did his part, he shipped what you ordered. If that's the case (as my atty sister has told me) you can be charged with fraud, turns out you can;t cancel CC transactions whenever you feel like it.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Oh yeah for sure if he had reversed the charge he would've lost. The UPS tracking # showing that it was delivered would've been proof enough that I held up to my end of the trasnsaction.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Actually, this is not true. Especially dependent on your institution. I can say with confidence that if I ring up my bank, they will put that money back and either make UPS or Michael figure this out. The tracking number and the delivered status doesn't prove anything without a signature. Courier drivers do stupid/shady shit all the time, everyday, banks know that, the couriers know that as well.

I know Michael is a stand up guy, but I definitely advise requiring signature for any items that you deliver, unless the customer specifies, or you're willing to ship out a replacement at your expense.

Edit: just an addendum, but there has been tons of times that my tracking online has been wrong. This is not that common, but they do occur from time to time. Again, just reiterating that a tracking status doesn't hold up much.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Former Vendor

You sure about that Simon? I've had customers pull this on me all the time Visa/Mastercard/Amex/Paypal. You may get a credit back immediately, but once I can prove that the package was delivered, they'll take that money back out again.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Actually, this is not true. Especially dependent on your institution. I can say with confidence that if I ring up my bank, they will put that money back and either make UPS or Michael figure this out. The tracking number and the delivered status doesn't prove anything without a signature. Courier drivers do stupid/shady shit all the time, everyday, banks know that, the couriers know that as well.

I know Michael is a stand up guy, but I definitely advise requiring signature for any items that you deliver, unless the customer specifies, or you're willing to ship out a replacement at your expense.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

Edit: just an addendum, but there has been tons of times that my tracking online has been wrong. This is not that common, but they do occur from time to time. Again, just reiterating that a tracking status doesn't hold up much.

Not always true Simon, here is what is in the Fair Credit Reporting Act: FTC Rules

What types of disputes are covered?

The FCBA settlement procedures apply only to disputes about "billing errors." For example:

unauthorized charges. Federal law limits your responsibility for unauthorized charges to $50;

charges that list the wrong date or amount;

charges for goods and services you didn't accept or weren't delivered as agreed;
(clearly, according to UPS, the pkg was delivered - as agreed)

math errors;

failure to post payments and other credits, such as returns;

failure to send bills to your current address - provided the creditor receives your change of address, in writing, at least 20 days before the billing period ends;

and
charges for which you ask for an explanation or written proof of purchase along with a claimed error or request for clarification.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

This happened to me with a starter once, it was a nice one around 350$. The company said it was delivered, ups said it was delivered. I wasnt home to sign for it and my old house was on a busy street. I called ups and bitched at them saying it was unacceptable they didnt require a signature. The company never offered me a signature required shipping option. I called wells fargo told them i wanted to contest it w all these reasons. Emailed a wells fargo supervisor pictures of my house, the street, Etc. They temp credited my acct back. 2 weeks later they sided with me. I did nothing wrong whatsoever. Just ordered a package and payed for it pure and simple. I dont know who took the blame on that one but it worked out but when i re-ordered the starter it was shippid with delivery confirmation!

Quick Reply: Handling an Unhappy Customer