Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

wtf is wrong with my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530i. Premium, Sport, powere shades, Sat. radio and hopefully the occasional groupy in the seat.

Ok I just got a new Razr because I was under the impression that my last phone (MPx-220) wasn't compatible. Well, come to find out that my Razr won't pair up now. It just doesn't do anything at all when I search for a device or make the phone discoverable. BT is turned on in the car via BT setting menu. It tells me to activate the phone, but nothing happens. what gives?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ghetto fabulous' post='201809' date='Nov 22 2005, 12:20 AM
Ok I just got a new Razr because I was under the impression that my last phone (MPx-220) wasn't compatible. Well, come to find out that my Razr won't pair up now. It just doesn't do anything at all when I search for a device or make the phone discoverable. BT is turned on in the car via BT setting menu. It tells me to activate the phone, but nothing happens. what gives?

You may be thinking about it backwards. The phone thinks of the car as a handsfree or headset. Go into the phone's bluetooth submenu under connections and after powering on the BT radio, go into the "Handsfree" submenu. There should be a selection that says [Look For Devices]. If your car is on, it should be found - the name should be BMW12345 - with the "12345" being some number other than 12345.

Anyway, once this happens you can exchange PINs and you'll be all set.

I'm personally going to check out the Sony Ericsson Z520a. It got a rave review, and Cingular just released it. 9 hours of talk time in the test, which should mean some ample juice even when paired.

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...source=BROWSER

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phon...Id=cdsku9870076
Old 11-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

i had to have both [car and cell] each look for each other one at a time. just remembber the pass word number.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by merklebob' post='202069' date='Nov 22 2005, 01:27 PM
i had to have both [car and cell] each look for each other one at a time. just remembber the pass word number.

Your e60 must be running different code - mine doesn't have the ability to scan for devices.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

Originally Posted by ghetto fabulous' post='201809' date='Nov 22 2005, 05:20 AM
Try staying in the Communication/Phone submenu under Settings while you search from the Phone - with my own car I noticed it makes a difference on an initial pairing..
Old 11-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Phone instructions

look at page 7&8, and follow this EXACTLY.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by ghetto fabulous' post='201809' date='Nov 21 2005, 11:20 PM
I have the same problem. What the world "Activate the Phone?" This message is not even in the Bluetooth manual. My Razr V3 is still not working.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='211955
I have the same problem. What the world "Activate the Phone?" This message is not even in the Bluetooth manual. My Razr V3 is still not working.
[/quote]

You are in the wrong menu. You only get this message if you go to the Communication Menu (forward) when your phone is not connected.

1)In the main menu, do not put any of the directional button, i.e. do not push fwd nor pull backward nor sideways. Push it DOWN.
2)You will find 'Communications' under that menu. (Last Item on the menu). Select that one.
3)Select Bluetooth. (You may have to push fwd if the BMW Assist menu appears immediately)
4)Select Settings -> Then make sure the BT check box is checked.
5)Push Forward to return to the previous menu.
6)Now select Phone
7)The screen should say 'BT connectable in this menu' or smth.
8)Now turn on BT on your V3, wait 10 secs, the i-drive screen should now ask you to Add device or refuse.
9)...follow the rest of the instructions...
Old 12-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vffun' post='212115
Originally Posted by ghetto fabulous' post='201809' date='Nov 21 2005, 11:20 PM
You are in the wrong menu. You only get this message if you go to the Communication Menu (forward) when your phone is not connected.

1)In the main menu, do not put any of the directional button, i.e. do not push fwd nor pull backward nor sideways. Push it DOWN.
2)You will find 'Communications' under that menu. (Last Item on the menu). Select that one.
3)Select Bluetooth. (You may have to push fwd if the BMW Assist menu appears immediately)
4)Select Settings -> Then make sure the BT check box is checked.
5)Push Forward to return to the previous menu.
6)Now select Phone
7)The screen should say 'BT connectable in this menu' or smth.
8)Now turn on BT on your V3, wait 10 secs, the i-drive screen should now ask you to Add device or refuse.
9)...follow the rest of the instructions...
[/quote]

Much thanks. You're a genius. I don't know what you do for a living, but you're a genius. I can fix complex computer network and business issues, but I can't get the damn BT to work. It's working now. I just have to figure out how to make and receive calls.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Toyota Highlander and BMW 530iA

Thank you guys.

So happy this forum is around.