Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Windows Phone 7 - or Samsung Focus?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandrsn1
I got rid of my iPhone 4 for the same reason. It was almost unusable for calls.

I picked up a Motorola Milestone 2 (like the droid 2 but works on AT&T 3G). I can make calls again!
yeah, it really was basically unusable for calls. maybe some of the units were built defective, but you and i are not the only people with these problems.

Originally Posted by healthservices
Oh, do you have a unlimited plan? will you lose it if you go to a non-iphone?

Oh I meant to say a couple post up was my wife now currently has the iphone 4 and is harpy with it.
no worries. i upgraded today. i did not lose my unlimited data plan. nothing changed, in fact. they do charge a one-time change fee of like $18 for activation.

as for the google and gmail app, they have email you can sync up with gmail for (i sync'd to work outlook exchange and yahoo email already), so i'm not sure you need an app. as for google i don't know. it is hard to sift through the app store on your actual phone because they aren't in any real order and there does not appear to be a search function yet...i think when i go home and download the zune player the marketplace will be much easier to navigate through.

overall i like it so far...hard to really give a great comparison after an hour of having it though. the display of your email, contacts, etc. is just much prettier i think.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

just checked and there is a google app.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Interesting, I will have to look into it a little more. Currently with my plan the Samsung Focus is free, vs. the other candidate, the Samsung Captivate (android) is 199.00

I like the Google mail since it is a push rather than Outlook that checks every so many minutes. So if someone sends a email I will get contacted (with a tone) soon as they hit send vs. Outlook which will check your mail every so many minutes and may or may not contact you when it arrives. Plus I'm starting to put everything on the cloud so I access it wherever I am.

However I would assume I can see, and modify word, and other programs like excel with the windows phone.

Google voice is also a big plus too. Look into that if you never seen it before.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Interesting, I will have to look into it a little more. Currently with my plan the Samsung Focus is free, vs. the other candidate, the Samsung Captivate (android) is 199.00

I like the Google mail since it is a push rather than Outlook that checks every so many minutes. So if someone sends a email I will get contacted (with a tone) soon as they hit send vs. Outlook which will check your mail every so many minutes and may or may not contact you when it arrives. Plus I'm starting to put everything on the cloud so I access it wherever I am.

However I would assume I can see, and modify word, and other programs like excel with the windows phone.

Google voice is also a big plus too. Look into that if you never seen it before.
how is the focus free for you? that's cool. i paid 200, but no biggy.

well you can still have google mail just like outlook. they set up the same way. i thought on my iphone i set up how often i wanted mail pushed for outlook and yahoo. with the windows phone so far it is pushing everything. there might be a setting for changing that.

yep, you have word/excel and pretty much all functionality with them too. i even did a vlookup on my phone in an excel workbook and emailed it. pretty freakin' sweet. i'm going to buy the $100 32gb micro sd memory card and have 40gb total on the phone, too.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mobiper
Now Windows Phone 7 is a best popular phone and it will be so useful. most of the people want new thing like Windows Phone 7.
My future spammer detector is pinging wildly right now...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Maybe I read it wrong and I have to buy one in order to get a free one.

Windows Phone 7 - or Samsung Focus?-focus.jpg

Maybe I should have had you buy one and give me the free one.

Anyways looks like something to consider.

Please update with how you like it after playing with it a week.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

Maybe I read it wrong and I have to buy one in order to get a free one.

Attachment 114833

Maybe I should have had you buy one and give me the free one.

Anyways looks like something to consider.

Please update with how you like it after playing with it a week.
haha, yeah i actually was a bit sidetracked when i read that as well. i woulda been happy to go in it with you 50/50, but i bet i would have had to get like a family plan, since the other phone would need a plan under my name...

i think this is going to be a fantastic phone. there are some cons i already see, but i think they could be fixed in updates or maybe i just get used to them. overall so far i think it is a lot, lot better than the iphone. when i had the iphone 4 temporarily, i was never at all excited about it (another reason i took it back). this one every time i mess with it i get excited.

one kicker i will tell you is it has 8gb of onboard storage, and you have to buy a micro sd card separately if you want more memory. the problem claimed is that once you put a micro sd in the card, you never can use it again, and the phone will never work again without that exact card. i don't know if that's ATT garbage or if it's true, but i figured i'd just buy a 32gb and be done with it (largest micro sd card you can get). but it was expensive, about $120. there are only a few that are compatible with the phone. there is a 16gb that is $30 on amazon that is compatible, but i didn't see it until after i installed the 32gb! so i'm stuck with it. oh well, no big deal. one day i'll be glad i got the extra storage.

i'll let you know more after a week or so!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i had the iphone 4 and returned it. call quality was terrible and reception the worst of any iphone i have owned thus far. in the 2 weeks i owned the iphone 4, i dropped 60% of my calls and more calls than i ever dropped with the 3g in 2 full years of use. i went from the iphone 3g to the iphone 4, then afterwards bought a 3gs on ebay. besides screen resolution and slightly quicker processing, there is virtually no difference in 3gs and 4.

your friends have windows phone 7? the old windows phones were crap, the new WP7 is supposed to be incredible. i played with it and was very impressed. now i just want to know if anyone has tried to get it to work in their bimmer?
You're right on that one - iPhone 4 is a crappy phone-phone. Mine seems to be lucky - I only drop a call occasionally. I'd say, overall, I am happy with it though - definitely better than any other phone I've ever had. Just not that great in terms of call quality. I don't have a land line and I get by with it just fine, so I guess I can put it like this: it gets the job done, with an occasional interruption.

I think you're right about the old windows 7 - I'm pretty sure the opinions I'm referring to are quite a few months old.

Originally Posted by Rudy
My future spammer detector is pinging wildly right now...
Ban that focker!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Members

windows phones never ever will satisfy many users. get something stable such as iphones, or android devices. windows mobile os's are way to buggy and is probably the most hackable system too! Also no external memory? what a bummer
Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by msport530d
windows phones never ever will satisfy many users. get something stable such as iphones, or android devices. windows mobile os's are way to buggy and is probably the most hackable system too! Also no external memory? what a bummer
doesn't sound like you know much about WP7. though currently the external memory is an issue. not so much that it can't be used, but randomly some people have problems with different types of memory, whereas others have experienced no problems at all.

Quick Reply: Windows Phone 7 - or Samsung Focus?