Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Will phonebook be erased with new BT pairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint
Thumbs up

Did a search came up with nothing

May be a stupid question?but I don?t know the answer:

Question?the 545 is going away?when the new owner goes to synch his phone will my phonebook be erased or is there something I need to do?

Yes I know there is a Bluetooth forum?figured I?d get more exposure here and it?ll eventually get bumped over there anyways

TIA

Chris
Old 08-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The phonebook does not stay in the car, it stays in the phone. Without a phone paired, there is no phonebook visible in the car. If a new owner pairs his/her phone, that phonebook will become the "current" one.

Pretty cool, isn't it?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Very cool!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2005, 10:15 PM
The phonebook does not stay in the car, it stays in the phone.? Without a phone paired, there is no phonebook visible in the car.? If a new owner pairs his/her phone, that phonebook will become the "current" one.

Pretty cool, isn't it?
[snapback]165452[/snapback]
thanks for the info
Old 08-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2005, 07:15 PM
The phonebook does not stay in the car, it stays in the phone.? Without a phone paired, there is no phonebook visible in the car.? If a new owner pairs his/her phone, that phonebook will become the "current" one.

Pretty cool, isn't it?
[snapback]165452[/snapback]
rudy, i'm not questioning you and i know you are always right. but i'm just wondering does the phonebook stay in the sim card instead of the phone ? i kind of remember someone mentioned they are having problems transferring phonebook to car since the phonebook saved in the phone but after phonebook saved in sim card, it transferred to car flawlessly.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

To me, it seems like there is a combo of both aspects at play. First, the phone does seem to download the address book into the car, but then in subsequent use of the phone, the list appears immediately once the car 'recognizes' that phone is paired. But I would also expect that even if the info is in the car's computer, it won't show up once the car pairs with a different phone.

And certainly when the car gets a new software upgrade, all info is lost anyway since the radio station presets are lost every time my car gets upgraded.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Titanium Gray, Gray, Sport, Sremium, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, NAV, HUD, Rear Sunshade, Auto, Park Distance Control, Xenon

You can also "unpair" your phone prior to transfer of ownership. Then there will be no chance of your phonebook being available to the new owner.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Aug 31 2005, 04:37 AM
rudy, i'm not questioning you and i know you are always right.? but i'm just wondering does the phonebook stay in the sim card instead of the phone ?? i kind of remember someone mentioned they are having problems transferring phonebook to car since the phonebook saved in the phone but after phonebook saved in sim card, it transferred to car flawlessly.
[snapback]165490[/snapback]
Most GSM phones, at least Nokia, allow you to store the phonebook on the SIM card or on the phone. From reading posts here, it seems that some phonebooks only transfer to the car if the numbers are stored on the SIM. Either way, the numbers are saved in the phone and not the car.

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Aug 31 2005, 06:55 AM
To me, it seems like there is a combo of both aspects at play. First, the phone does seem to download the address book into the car, but then in subsequent use of the phone, the list appears immediately once the car 'recognizes' that phone is paired. But I would also expect that even if the info is in the car's computer, it won't show up once the car pairs with a different phone.

And certainly when the car gets a new software upgrade, all info is lost anyway since the radio station presets are lost every time my car gets upgraded.
[snapback]165501[/snapback]
I've suspected that the car may cache the data as well because of the speed that the list displays after the first time. I can't say for sure if it does or doesn't but one thing to keep in mind is that the amount of data being transferred is relatively small and a BT connection is fairly fast so it's possible that it's being tranferred each time. Hopefully we'll get a better answer to this question soon.

Originally Posted by Spadoc' date='Aug 31 2005, 10:10 AM
You can also "unpair" your phone prior to transfer of ownership. Then there will be no chance of your phonebook being available to the new owner.
[snapback]165537[/snapback]
Not a bad idea. Taking that precaution can't hurt...
Old 09-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 31 2005, 10:28 AM
I've suspected that the car may cache the data as well because of the speed that the list displays after the first time. I can't say for sure if it does or doesn't but one thing to keep in mind is that the amount of data being transferred is relatively small and a BT connection is fairly fast so it's possible that it's being tranferred each time. Hopefully we'll get a better answer to this question soon.
This is the part I am unclear on. I sort of thought the phonebook was loaded afresh upon each use of a car since our phonebooks loaded very quickly initially in both cars. In this regard, we go back and forth between cars seamlessly and very quickly. But, maybe both phonebooks are stored in our cars. On the other hand, when we modify our phonebooks the updated books are available in our cars very quickly.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Titanium Silver M-Tech Sport, nav, HUD, comfort seats, comfort access, HD radio, Sat radio, folding mirrors

Rudy,Aug 31 2005, 10:28 AM]I've suspected that the car may cache the data as well because of the speed that the list displays after the first time. I can't say for sure if it does or doesn't but one thing to keep in mind is that the amount of data being transferred is relatively small and a BT connection is fairly fast so it's possible that it's being tranferred each time. Hopefully we'll get a better answer to this question soon.
In my case (e815 on Verizon), I had paired the phone to the car originally with junk in my address book. After I cleaned the junk from my address book, I tried accessing my phone book through i-drive and the junk was still there. Only after I deleted the phone from i-drive and re-paired with it, did I see the "cleaned up" phone book. Also, it took a couple of minutes before I saw the "new" phone book in i-drive, so it must have downloaded it anew.

Quick Reply: Will phonebook be erased with new BT pairing?