Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Will BMW solve BT for pre03/2004 prod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i MY2004, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Interior Euro Red Reflectors, AUX input, CIP 18.1
Angry

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 23 2004, 12:24 PM
Welcome aboard, MooWan !
[snapback]71901[/snapback]
Thank you Iceman! I discovered this forum yesterday and absolutely loved it. Wish I had read some of the posts before my purchased though!

I know this may not be the right question for this thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure that V15 software will include MP3 capability. I'm debating between waiting for V15 or getting Aux Audio In now...
Old 12-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, moowan ! afaik, we won't have mp3 until march the earliest .
Old 12-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by MooWan' date='Dec 23 2004, 08:54 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure that V15 software will include MP3 capability.
[snapback]71911[/snapback]
No MP3 yet.
Possibly around March 2005.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Almighty JungleBoy' date='Dec 5 2004, 07:39 AM
I wonder if BMW will eventually solve pre-March 2004 E60s to have bluetooth installed without having to pay large sums of money to have BT solved in their cars... those with February productions must be very heartbroken...

What do you guys think?? :'(
[snapback]64927[/snapback]
I think you can get it done for a high price. It seems that pre-March 2004 E60s need a wiring harness that is like a big deal to put in. Not only is the harness different, but so are the connectors that attach to the devices in the car.

There is another thread in the forum with more details:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...647&hl=harness
Old 01-21-2005, 12:56 PM
michael

I have an o3/04 build stamped on my driver door, but when I brought it into BMW, the computer said it was built 02/28/04, but stamped 03/04.

03/04 is the cut off date and BMW said "

Thank you for your response. I understand and apologize for your frustration. Unfortunately, regardless of the time difference between when your TCU unit and a new TCU unit was utilized, whether two days or two years, switching one to another is an upgrade to your vehicle. There is a charge associated to this upgrade. Although we empathize with your situation, we are sorry to inform you that BMW of North America, LLC, cannot honor your request for a free upgrade to your TCU unit. We value our BMW customers and are sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Sincerely,

Anthony Salla
Customer Relations and Services
Representative
Old 01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Let me decipher the BMW response for you.

Basically they're letting you know that they don't give a rats arse whether or not you have the functionality in your vehicle that others (who likely paid less for their same model year vehicle) do.

I dont disgree that it is a modification. BMW should provide a reasonable means by which owners of 2004 E60's built pre-March '04 can obtain Bluetooth functionality. They appear so intent on taking our money with their shabby BMW Assist program, and then want to pick your pocket with a ridiculous $3000 TCU and programming upgrade. Its shameful.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

[QUOTE]
E60 Information Network - www.e60.net
Gallery HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Logged in as: buddy ( Log Out )
My Controls ? View New Posts ? My Assistant ? 1 New Messages

E60 Forums > BMW 5 Series (E60/E61) > E60 Discussion

Outline ? [ Standard ] ? Linear+
Bluetooth on pre 03-04 e60s, Is it possible? Find out here...

Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
moballa Nov 19 2004, 11:54 PM Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 489

Hey everyone,

I was hesitant on starting yet another BT thread but I think a new thread dealing only with BT on pre 03-04 e60s is warranted. Here goes?

I know there has been much speculation on the possibility of BT on pre March '04 production E60s...these posts usually had no precise answers. Most of the posts mention the solution lies in a hardware upgrade of the TCU and a wire harness.

Well, my friends, I?m sorry to report that this appears to not be an option?

Here is how I came to this conclusion:

I brought my Feb '04 production 530i (Yes - One damn month short!) into the dealership for a few items which included a software upgrade to v13.3. The shop foreman was very familiar with our forum especially the ?pharding? posts and he has performed numerous successful BT upgrades to post 03-04 e60s. He was happy to ?experiment? with my vehicle knowing full well that it would be a long shot?

I can confirm that the car definitely has a BT module as I was able to pair my phone with the car without difficulty... The problem lies in 2 areas. 1) when you go to the Communication menu, it simply states ?Please Activate Phone?? and 2) somehow they were able to receive a call but it was using 1-way communication. I.e. We could hear the other party but they couldn?t hear us. (this was all performed using a Motorola V600)

The best guess at this point is that the duplex communication is only achievable with the March '04 version of the TCU which has one more pin connecting the car's built-in microphone... They spent some time looking at a new TCU and new wiring harness and they were surprised to see what else this harness connects to. Basically, the entire dash, seats, and door systems make there way into this harness. Even if I instructed them to disassemble the interior of the car to extract the old harness and install the new one (which would be huge effort and involve some serious $) the new harness apparently is laid out differently and is not compatible with the type and locations of the old connections.

I do not want to put this issue to bed with this post but it doesn?t look good. I hope the rest of us with early production e60s can work together to figure this out. Surely someone out there knows another technician that is willing to take on this challenge and come up with other options...

OKay i see what you are saying but what i dont get is that the bmw assist was full duplex, and it worked flawlessly except for the price associated. And it worked thru the onboard mic and speaker. So why does a replacement tcu to a blue tooth one and or a modified one by BMW not solve this simple problem. Darn it aint that complicated of a problem i have a non blueetooth motarola v810 that i brought a adaptor for that makes it bluetooth i purchased the hs820 ear piece and a bluetooth visor hands free kit all that worked perfectly..

I just did not like the bulky thing on my visor on a 2004 that should have it intergrated LIKE I WAS TOLD WHEN I PURCHASED THE FRIGGIN CAR.

it is just a simple 2.4 gig single that should be simple to do.

My car is a September 03 build date so it looks like i am sh%t out of luck for any reall custom features.

and then theres the two stupid useless buttons on the steering wheel that used to work i use to have the abillity to dial numbers from the idrive and also call bmw assist from the wheel and then an update from some smuck took that convienance feature out.

Dont get me wrong i love the carand for $52,000.00 MR. BMW you got some splanning to do
Old 01-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

sorry about the stuff at the top guess i am like bmw na cant get anything to work, well atleast i did apologise for real and did not send a standard letter stateing how sorry i am go figure.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:45 AM
NowHearThis

When BMW has trouble supporting the age-old CPT9000 product it DID advertize and promise in these vehicles, thats when the lawsuit are coming.

I would be willing to pay some money now to get Bluetooth functionality, but if BMW continues its horendous customer service and I am forced to wait months to years struggling with the crappy CPT9000, I wont be willing to do so later. I refuse to fork over $2-3K for something that other 2004 E60 drivers received for free.

The CPT9000 v60 phone has been phased out of most every other service area and there will be issues regarding warranty replacement, coverage (TDMA/CDMA), in addition to the fact that it has NEVER worked correctly (with freez-ups, dropped calls, episodic lack of iDrive recognition).

I suggest all with CPT9000 begin to establish a service record with your local dealership, so that you my use it as reference to the poor function and lack of BMW support for this promised technology when the shoe drops and lawsuits begin.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Jan 22 2005, 12:51 PM
sorry about the stuff at the top guess i am like bmw na cant get anything to work, well atleast i did apologise for real and did not send a standard letter stateing how sorry i am go figure.
[snapback]81838[/snapback]

BTW, you can edit your posts.