Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Who is right?! Can my phone be paired w/ my car? 04 530i

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='380625' date='Jan 19 2007, 01:38 PM
This forum is amazing. I would never have MP3 or soon to have BT in my car if it wasn't for this forum.

Any thoughts on if I should just call the dealer and tell them to abandon trying to get BT to work with my non-BT supported TCU (production date 01/04) and do what I originaly asked them to do which is program the car for the CTP-9000 phone so I can use the BTUM?
I think it would be smart for you (or the dealer) to verify the part number on the TCU so you can tell for sure if you have an "original" version or the newer one that fully supports BT. It's possible that you had a replacement at one point since the early TCU's tended to crash pretty often during software updates.

If you're sure you have an old TCU, then you're probably better off going the BTUM route.

Also, ademitt is correct that you'll never get a factory cradle to charge your phone...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to add a link to help you locate the TCU and part number in my earlier post...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=7637
Old 01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='380686' date='Jan 19 2007, 02:49 PM
I think it would be smart for you (or the dealer) to verify the part number on the TCU so you can tell for sure if you have an "original" version or the newer one that fully supports BT. It's possible that you had a replacement at one point since the early TCU's tended to crash pretty often during software updates.

If you're sure you have an old TCU, then you're probably better off going the BTUM route.

Also, ademitt is correct that you'll never get a factory cradle to charge your phone...
Rudy,

As always you are correct. OU812545 did state that even though BT was working, it was if the mic was muted. Classic signs of the old TCU.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Rudy, I have checked all the service records on the car and it appears that the TCU was never replaced.

The dealer finally called me back to inform me that they still have not figured out how to get the TCU or the BTUM to work. They said they have contacted BMW NA and waiting for a response. They have had my car for 3.5 days total and they want to keep it until next Thrusday. That is a total of 8.5 work days at the dealer to get BT on my car. Is this typical for BMW?

I suspect when I first brought my car in to program it for the CTP-9000 retrofit to use the BTUM, they actuly programmed the car for for BT throught the TCU. The fact that settings in the iDrive were for BT not the CPT-9000 phone and the BTUM blue light didn't come on any longer. The shop forman will no longer return my calls. So I have no idea if they are actualy making progress. I'm giving them one more day and I'm pulling the car and bringing it somewhere else.
Am I being unreasonable?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. What you are asking for is well documented by BMW in SIB's and technical bulletins. This should have been a one day process (maximum) unless there is something defective with the TCU. The shop foreman does not appear to be up on his technical literature.

By contacting BMW, they likely opened a PUMA file. This is a request for technical help with BMWNA that is usually responded to in one or two business days. They will get explicit instructions on what to do next.

If after say Tuesday they are still screwing around, take it to another dealer that has their act together.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

ademitt,

Good advice, thanks.
The latest they told me today is that every time BMW NA gives them explicit instructions it takes them 6 hours of programming and they don't know if it will work until it's done then they need to wait for more information from BMW NA.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='381060' date='Jan 20 2007, 02:00 PM
ademitt,

Good advice, thanks.
The latest they told me today is that every time BMW NA gives them explicit instructions it take them 6 hours of programming and they don't know if it will work until it's done then they need to wait for more information from BMW NA.

Thanks
That makes sense but still, this isn't rocket science here -- many of us have been through this issue over a year ago...you'd think by now even the PuMA people could accurately guide a clueless tech through the process...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='381062' date='Jan 20 2007, 02:16 PM
That makes sense but still, this isn't rocket science here -- many of us have been through this issue over a year ago...you'd think by now even the PuMA people could accurately guide a clueless tech through the process...
Hi Guys, me again... So, the two days my phone worked in my car was really exciting! Begining last night, when I start the car I get three error messages: 'Head Unit Not Programmed Correctly', 'Heavy Batter Usage' & 'Service Engine Soon'....Also The Idrive turns off and on when it pleases. The dealer didnt seem to concerned, he just said bring it back and they will fix it.

....back to the dealer. I am also asking them to look at my front brakes, they squeal unbelievably at slow speeds.

Aside from these things, I still LOVE my 530!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='381657' date='Jan 22 2007, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys, me again... So, the two days my phone worked in my car was really exciting! Begining last night, when I start the car I get three error messages: 'Head Unit Not Programmed Correctly', 'Heavy Batter Usage' & 'Service Engine Soon'....Also The Idrive turns off and on when it pleases. The dealer didnt seem to concerned, he just said bring it back and they will fix it.

....back to the dealer. I am also asking them to look at my front brakes, they squeal unbelievably at slow speeds.

Aside from these things, I still LOVE my 530!
Hmmm, now my car doesnt even start! Im thinking the computer wasnt going into a sleep mode and drained the battery. Hence, the error message, heavy battery usage...We'll see what happens, now I need a tow
Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='382120' date='Jan 23 2007, 07:33 AM
Hmmm, now my car doesnt even start! Im thinking the computer wasnt going into a sleep mode and drained the battery. Hence, the error message, heavy battery usage...We'll see what happens, now I need a tow
Bill,

There was an issue about a year ago with battery drain issues that was addressed by a software update. It may be that your car has an older version of software and will likely require a full update of all modules in the vehicle, about a four hour touch if all goes well.

Good news is that it should all be covered by warranty. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Who is right?! Can my phone be paired w/ my car? 04 530i