Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Who is right?! Can my phone be paired w/ my car? 04 530i

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two days ago I purchased a 2004 (Prod date July 2004) 530i. (This is my first BMW, so if I sound like I dont know what Im talking about....I dont. I just want to get this thing working!)

I called the dealer to asked how to pair up my phone with the car and they stated it is not possible. They said that my car is not set up w/ BT capablilities. I am fine with that, but there has got to be a way to purchase or install it, right?

I have been reading these posts and asked if I could have a BTUM installed and he said that is not possible. He said that the technology in my car is outdated and there is not way to sinc up a cell phone...Im confused...or is the dealer confused?

Thanks, Bill
Old 01-17-2007, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='379483' date='Jan 17 2007, 07:12 AM
Two days ago I purchased a 2004 (Prod date July 2004) 530i. (This is my first BMW, so if I sound like I dont know what Im talking about....I dont. I just want to get this thing working!)

I called the dealer to asked how to pair up my phone with the car and they stated it is not possible. They said that my car is not set up w/ BT capablilities. I am fine with that, but there has got to be a way to purchase or install it, right?

I have been reading these posts and asked if I could have a BTUM installed and he said that is not possible. He said that the technology in my car is outdated and there is not way to sinc up a cell phone...Im confused...or is the dealer confused?

Thanks, Bill
First of all, welcome to E60 Forums and congrats on your E60.

If BT is enabled, you can find it in under "Communication Settings" in the i menu in idrive. (push down once from the main screen - select communication settings and push down).

If BT is enabled, it will show up as an option in this menu. Follow the instructions and pair the phone to the car using any pass code combination you want.

If BT is not in the menu, you will likely need to have the BT software enabled in your car. This must be done by a dealer as part of a larger software update or as a stand alone enablement of BT. You may have to pay for this if you cannot find a reason to have it upgraded under warranty.

For certain though, you should be able to enable BT in your vehicle provided it is a North American vehicle. Any NA E60 built after mid March 2004 came with the hardware to have BT work in the vehicle right out of the box. You should not need a BTUM. You will not be able to use a charger or cradle in your car for anything other than the standard BMW phone or a BTUM however.

Please add your location to your avatar details as some vehicle options vary among countries.

Once again, welcome!!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the reply! This is a NA car, and I am in Boston MA.

OK - Just got off the phone with a different dealer! They will update the software for $216. They also indicated that I am able to use my BT enabled Motorola phone and no additional parts are needed. I am dropping the car off tonight.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is all that is needed and I am up and running tomorrow! If so, the first dealer I spoke with is going to receive a call and I will school him.

THANKS!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

I had the same problem as you. Many dealers either have not been trained or just don't want to deal with it.

There are actuly multiple BT options for these cars:
1. Production date of 03/04 - 08/04: BT can be added with a program update. No new hardware required.
2. Pre 03/04 production date: (Two options here)
a. Have the dealer put in a MY2005 TCU and program for BT. This could be expensive.
b. Retrofit the car for a CPT-9000 Mot v60 phone and add a BTUM. Less expensive route.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BT_TSB_3_2005.pdf (134.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In several instances when dealers attempt your option 2b, they end up destroying the TCU and have to then replace it, under warranty, with a MY05 TCU ( bluetooth compatability without the BTUM). I speak from experience.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Originally Posted by billeul' post='379572' date='Jan 17 2007, 10:09 AM
In several instances when dealers attempt your option 2b, they end up destroying the TCU and have to then replace it, under warranty, with a MY05 TCU ( bluetooth compatability without the BTUM). I speak from experience.

I went for option 2b and the dealer made a mistake and programmed the car for option 1 and my car has a production date of 01/04. BT is not supposed to work but most if it does for some reason. Everything except the phone mic is muted. People can't hear me on the other end.

Anyways I'm dropping the car off tomorrow as the dealer said they will do whatever it takes to fix the problem at no cost to me. I hope they replace my TCU and make the BT work with the need of the BTUM or CPT-9000 cradle. I can then return those items. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey, grey interior, nav, prem, cold, sports

Congrats on your new car Bill. I just got a 2004 545i built same time 7/04 and have the same issue. As my screename states, I'm cheap, so I'm going the route of a software update by giving them a problem that will cause them to update it and ask them to enable BT at the same time (thanks to ademitt's advice). If they don't do it, I'll pay $200 for the bluetooth, it's worth it.

Please let us know how it works out.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributors

I will definitely let you know how I make out tomorrow. I seriously feel like I have received better service on this forum than I did at the dealership. They are going to hear from me.

Congrats to you as well Cheapa! Lets hope I get past this rocky start and enjoy my new ride from here on-in!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='379578' date='Jan 17 2007, 11:22 AM
I went for option 2b and the dealer made a mistake and programmed the car for option 1 and my car has a production date of 01/04. BT is not supposed to work but most if it does for some reason. Everything except the phone mic is muted. People can't hear me on the other end.

Anyways I'm dropping the car off tomorrow as the dealer said they will do whatever it takes to fix the problem at no cost to me. I hope they replace my TCU and make the BT work with the need of the BTUM or CPT-9000 cradle. I can then return those items. I have my fingers crossed.

That is exactly the issue. BMW Assist conflicts with BT in some way and as a result, people cannot hear you. It's not that BT doesn't work, it does but you will not be heard. You need the upgraded TCU for you to be heard, hence option 2A.

I speak from experience. When I bought my E60, it was a Mar 1/04 build. About one week before the update TCU was introduced into production.

If your dealer said they would make it work for you, maybe they will replace the TCU at no cost, about a $1500 touch. BMW will not cover the old TCU under warranty as per SIB.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Yeah baby! Im (car)mobile! haha!! Its the small things that count!

$231 dollars later and I am BT enabled! I am at work now, but can't wait to get out and call the dealer I bought the car from to tell them they were wrong!

Thanks so much for your suggestions/comments.

Bill

Quick Reply: Who is right?! Can my phone be paired w/ my car? 04 530i