Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

where is the TCU located?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i 6speed white/black comfort seats,l7,nav,sat,m-tech

i"m looking for my TCU in a 04 545 and I was told it was in the rear quater panel. I found a fuse box. Is that also the TCU? if not, where is it. what does it look like. the reason I am trying to find is to see if I have bluetooth or not. is the BT symbol easy to spot? pls help
Old 01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by chuckg' post='225618' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:38 PM
i"m looking for my TCU in a 04 545 and I was told it was in the rear quater panel. I found a fuse box. Is that also the TCU? if not, where is it. what does it look like. the reason I am trying to find is to see if I have bluetooth or not. is the BT symbol easy to spot? pls help
The TCU is located in the trunk, left hand side behind the panels and covers. It is fairly long and slender and is fastened to the frame.

It is far easier to get the build date from the sticker on the driver's side door sill. If your car is a March 04 production, take down the last 7 digits of your vin and call your local BMW dealer. They can check the car history and tell you the exact date that the car rolled off the line. If your car was built after March 15th, 2004, you will have the updated TCU. You will only be required to enable BT via software update if it has not been already activated.

If your car is in the critical period of Mar 1 to 15th, you will need to get the part number off of the TCU housing to see if it is the updated version. This may be best done by your dealer as they have the part numbers for the older and newer versions. If you are really keen, you can search some of the posts from about 14 months ago when others (myself included) debated this issue to death on this forum. PN's were listed at that time as well IIRC.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Members

Thx for the info. My dealer said that the TCU would have a BT decal on it. Is that true? or can you only tell buy the part number. My car has a build date of 2/04 so I am just kind of hoping I get lucky.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by chuckg' post='225660' date='Jan 17 2006, 04:37 PM
Thx for the info. My dealer said that the TCU would have a BT decal on it. Is that true? or can you only tell buy the part number. My car has a build date of 2/04 so I am just kind of hoping I get lucky.
Given your build date, BT will work with your car but people will not be able to hear you when you speak using handsfree. The problem lies in that Assist is incompaitble with BT in the old TCU, hence the need to replace it. Unfortunately, even if you dump Assist you will still need to repalce the TCU to be able to use a BT phone.

My car was built on Mar 01/04 and I had the old TCU with the BT passkey card in the trunk. A car built on March 8th on this forum had the updated TCU. I am sure you will have the old part given a Feb build date.

You have two options, go with a Motorolla CPT 9000 phone that is not BT but fully compatible with your car in every other respect (including cradle and handsfree) or have the TCU replaced at your cost. If you have a good relationship with the service department they may cut you a deal on the parts but it still will be at least $1000 or so for the part. Remember, programming will be over and above this amount.

Now, if you could find a way to get the TCU replaced under warranty, that's a different story! Many have tried and a few have succeeded. In some cases, the TCU does not take the update of SW well and crashes and needs to be replaced. Find a way to get them to update your software under warranty (tell them that your idrive crashes and does not always boot back up) and see if that will do it for you.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by chuckg' post='225618' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:38 PM
Your build date date (i.e., mo/yr) should be on your driver-side door pillar--if that helps.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Members

thx again. I have researched many previous threads and gotten most of my answers. has anyone succeeded in 'assisting' a TCU crash.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Members

TCU number 84-11-6-942-592. from what I've read this should not work, even though it does have the bluetooth symbol. any recent developments on securing a new one at BMWs expense?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chuckg' post='225774' date='Jan 17 2006, 09:07 PM
TCU number 84-11-6-942-592. from what I've read this should not work, even though it does have the bluetooth symbol. any recent developments on securing a new one at BMWs expense?
BMW has issued written instructions to their dealers via a SIB that states that older TCU's are to be replaced at the owner's expense in order to enable BT in pre 03/04 production vehicles. This directive has been out for some time now.

As I mentioned before, several members have had their TCU's replaced under warranty when the TCU crashed upon programming. If you were to get the cip software updated because your idrive was giving you problems for example, you may just get the TCU to crash and not be repairable. At that time, you would get one replaced under warranty. I am not aware of any other circustance where the TCU was replaced under warranty.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

you guys just know everything. cool infos.....
I wish bmw techs would be as helpfull too
Old 01-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='225895
BMW has issued written instructions to their dealers via a SIB that states that older TCU's are to be replaced at the owner's expense in order to enable BT in pre 03/04 production vehicles. This directive has been out for some time now.

As I mentioned before, several members have had their TCU's replaced under warranty when the TCU crashed upon programming. If you were to get the cip software updated because your idrive was giving you problems for example, you may just get the TCU to crash and not be repairable. At that time, you would get one replaced under warranty. I am not aware of any other circustance where the TCU was replaced under warranty.
[/quote]
I had 4 TCU Units replaced at BMW's cost because of BMW Assist, SOS Malfunction and I'm going in again this coming Monday for the same thing.Probably change another TCU Unit. At $2000 + for each one.
cheers
vern