Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

What is a "Flex Version" 0n MOTO V60

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006 | 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver Grey Metallic 545i, Logic 7, Comfort Seats with Black Dakota Leather, Sirius Satellite Radio, Euro Reflectors, Aux Input Build Date 9/03

And what does it need to be to work with an E60 on T-Mobiles's Network?
Old 05-01-2006 | 11:26 AM
Senior Members

I found this on a Motorola V60i forum.

1: Flexing is adding or removing features that the service provider added or removed. Some providers have the idea that they know what you want in your phone, and to keep you from being confused remove what they think you don't need. A flex file is just the software for thefeature.

2: Firmware is software that controls hardware. For your phone the firmeware is the software that controls the phone.

3: You'd want to update a flex file to add features that the provider deactivated, or to get rid of features that you ahve no need for. You'd want to update the firmware to eliminate bugs in your current version mostly. Also sometimes newer version have increased menu speeds, better reception, and in some cases new features. It's possible to change phone models to some extant if the only real difference is firmware version. You can change the T720 to the T720i model in order to use the camera. Also if you look at Samsungs, you can change the N. American S105 and V205, to the European S100, and V200 with a firmware change.

4: It's possible that if something goes wrong during a flash or flex, power outage or the like, or just bad luck, the phone firmware can be erased or corrupted rendering your phone worthless without having it serviced by the maufacturer. This is highly unlikely however, but a good reason to use a reputable shop that guarantees it's service.

5: If you are doing it yourself you need software such at PST I think, and a data cable.

6: Depends on the phone. For most Motorolas you can look in the " settings" menu under "phone status", "other information", and "Flex version" for the flex, and "S/W version" for the firmware.
For some phones, you need to enter a code to give you the information.
Sorry, but beyond this general information, it's all SWAGs for me.
7: I'm not sure. I'm not sure that you can, other than downloading the version you already have.

9: Some carriers have only shipped phones with a certain firmeware, they stopped selling them before updates became available, or just sell whatever they happen to get. Generally you want the latest version, but occaisonally the newest isn't the best. It might have bugs, or not work as well for whatever reason. Then you'd want the version that works the best.

10: I think you'll have to be more specific about which version, and more importantly which phone you mean.

11: It depends on the software. Hopefully any that you get will have some sort of documentation with it. The versions of PST I've looked at seemed easy enough to use, but I'm not sure that I'd be willing to try even if I had the latest version of firmware for my phone.