Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

What do you think about the Apple iphone, and it working paired with t

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by graham_the_baker' post='762041' date='Jan 7 2009, 05:09 PM
iphone does have push mail, the 3g one does.

Graham
Had it on my 1st gen also. The push came with software 2.0...

For what it's worth, I switched from the BB Curve to the iPhone and really like it. Many have the same issue with the touch screen keypad but not me. It works flawlessly with my work and Yahoo email accounts. If there is one shortcoming with the iPhone, it is battery life. My Curve lasted for a couple of days on a single charge while the iPhone goes just over a day, depending on usage.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

I have the 2004 530 and had to add BTUM to get the bluetooth to work. I purchased an Iphone w/8GB. It works okay pairing with the car and the bluetooth. I say okay because it gets stubborn every now and then but nothing I can't live with. Sometimes it takes a while for the phone book to show up on the I drive and couple times it didn't show. Could be a short between the seat and the steering wheel and possibly the controller. Who knows. Anyway, like both and am happy with the purchases of the BTUM and the I phone.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by graham_the_baker' post='762041
Had it on my 1st gen also. The push came with software 2.0...

For what it's worth, I switched from the BB Curve to the iPhone and really like it. Many have the same issue with the touch screen keypad but not me. It works flawlessly with my work and Yahoo email accounts. If there is one shortcoming with the iPhone, it is battery life. My Curve lasted for a couple of days on a single charge while the iPhone goes just over a day, depending on usage.
[/quote]

Does it support push with all email systems or just Exchange and maybe Yahoo, etc. In other words, did they finally make it work like a BlackBerry or does it still have limitations?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='767002' date='Jan 13 2009, 05:07 PM
Does it support push with all email systems or just Exchange and maybe Yahoo, etc. In other words, did they finally make it work like a BlackBerry or does it still have limitations?
Good question Rudy, I am far from an expert. We use Exchange server at the office but I have seen others use Gmail and other third party email systems on their iPhones as well. Not sure what you mean by "make it work like a Blackberry" though. The push function works well and I get emails on my iPhone before I get them in Outlook at the office, just like I did on my Curve. All I can do is compare it to my Curve and the functions that I use are similar and work just as well. Not saying it is something grand that would cause you to switch to an iPhone over a BB...
Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I-phone works great, has excellant battery and is easier to use than the blackberry
Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I have the iphone and the Blackberry Bold (the Bold is my current phone)......here's my take:

I was one of the biggest iphone fanboys until I jumped ship to the Blackberry crowd. I've always been an apple fan and I own several ipods (imac desktop, macbook, 2 nano's, a shuffle, iphone) but I've had so many problems with the iphone that I decided to go with a Blackberry. Here's my half-assed comparison between both devices FWIW:

The iphone has a FAR SUPERIOR internet browser than ANY other phone. The iphone is THE BEST cellular device for multimedia (videos, pics, music, etc...), but the 1st generation iphone I have is absolutely horrible in the cell phone department. At the end of the day, the main use for the iphone is that it needs to work well as a basic phone since it's my only phone. I live in a major metropolitan area so all wireless providers work very well. The signal strength on my iphone was consistently 2 bars less than on a Moto RAZR v3 and Treo 650 all sitting next to each other and all on AT&T. The call quality was poor, the earpiece volume was lacking, the speakerphone volume was about as loud as the earpiece volume should have been, and I had more dropped calls in a single day at my house than I could count on one hand. The real "deal-breaker" has been lately where the phone would ring and the screen would be completely black and therefore not allow me to answer it.

I replaced my iphone twice through apple when it was still under warranty and although the process was very smooth, I ended up with the same issues on all 3 phones as mentioned above.

I went into the AT&T store by my office about a month ago and it turned out that an old friend of mine was not only working at the store, but he's the store manager. I was torn between the BB Bold, HTC Fuze, and the LG Incite. The Incite was a piece of junk in person and the Fuze surprisingly looked very nice. The only reason I went with the Bold was because of Blackberry's near-bulletproof operating system and my significant dislike for Windows. He sold me the Blackberry Bold for $199!

The Bold is hands down the best PHONE that I've ever used. It's a tad bigger, but it gets the best signal strength of any AT&T device that I've had, has the best call quality that I've ever encountered, an amazingly loud speakerphone, and I find myself turning DOWN the earpiece volume because it's so loud. The Blackberry is also far superior in all email functions. The push feature works instantaneous on the Bold whereas the iphone would take several minutes. With that being said, the Bold doesn't even compare to the iphone in nearly every other category. I bought an 8GB micro SD card for the Bold and loaded a few movies, all my pics, and a couple dozen .mp3s. It plays the media files very well (and loud), but the interface is much more primitive on the Bold compared to the iphone. The Bold supports several video formats (.mp4, .avi, .wmv, etc) whereas the iphone supports only one. The screen is much larger on the iphone, but the quality is just as good on the Bold, and some even say that due to the denser pixels on the Bold that it produces a higher quality image.....but I can't notice the difference. Applications on the iphone are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Bold and it really pisses me off that I can't find a decent (fast) application that'll get me sports scores. I'm stuck with ESPN mobile or SI mobile that takes much longer to navigate than my iphone on EDGE with the SportsTap application (best sports app on the iphone IMHO). Another issue to mention was that the iphone did not work with my work email. Even though apple introduced MS-Exchange software with their 2.0 update, the IT drones at our corporate office wouldn't "release the codes" or "open up the server" or something like that which would enable my iphone to be on the corporate network. Advantage Bold.

Anyways, each device is very good at certain things and in a perfect world I'd have an apple product that not only worked with my company's email, but also worked well as a PHONE (call quality, speaker/earpiece volume, etc...) but it's just not there quite yet. The only computers I have at home are apples so the most difficult part of the switch to Blackberry has been the software. The iphone's software is integrated so well into their desktops/notebooks with iphoto, itunes, and ical that you just can't compare it to the drag-and-drop on with the Blackberry where the mac OS support was clearly an afterthought.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well said wasupdu, although I don't have an iPhone (I have an iPod Touch), I agree that BB makes the best phones and does email the best...