Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

VZ Nav and BMW Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006 | 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

I posted on this a while back. I'm trying to figure out why the Verizon Nav voice commands won't audible through the E60's system. While connected, the VZ NAV's voice commands on the phone don't work either.
Now to make matters worse, my neighbor has an F250 and went out and bought an aftermarket Bluetooth unit, his VZ Nav works great with the system, voice commands can be heard through the Ford's internal speaker system.

Am I missing an update here perhaps??
Old 11-04-2006 | 03:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='352115' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:08 PM
I posted on this a while back. I'm trying to figure out why the Verizon Nav voice commands won't audible through the E60's system. While connected, the VZ NAV's voice commands on the phone don't work either.
Now to make matters worse, my neighbor has an F250 and went out and bought an aftermarket Bluetooth unit, his VZ Nav works great with the system, voice commands can be heard through the Ford's internal speaker system.

Am I missing an update here perhaps??
Well, everyone is missing an update because the VZ Nav was just released a few months ago. But I think that the E60 is programmed to basically mute the phone as soon as it pairs with the car.

Like when you are in a call and then get into the car, start it up and there are a few seconds of lost audio until the Bluetooth in the car takes over.

Same thing with the voice commands. When the car is paired with the phone, the commands are limited to what the car can handle, not the phone. The aftermarket kits aren't nearly as integrated with the electronics of the car, like the phonebook gets transferred to the car.
Old 11-06-2006 | 05:06 PM
Senior Members

Well I finally found my answer, the Verizon Razor V3M doesn't support AD3P or voice over Bluetooth.
Old 11-06-2006 | 06:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='353090' date='Nov 6 2006, 09:06 PM
Well I finally found my answer, the Verizon Razor V3M doesn't support AD3P or voice over Bluetooth.
What is AD3P? Do you mean A2DP?

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile - A Bluetooth profile (mode) for streaming audio, such as from a music phone to headphones. Compared to profiles such as Headset and Handsfree, A2DP supports stereo, and is one-way instead of two-way.

How could the phone not support voice over Bluetooth? That's what Headset and Handsfree profiles are all about.
Old 11-07-2006 | 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Sorry for the typo A2DP - I was told this by at least two people and did quite a bit of research.

http://www.bluetomorrow.com/content/section/308/429/
Old 11-07-2006 | 06:47 PM
Contributors

Bluetooth A2DP was developed to offer increased bandwidth over traditional Bluetooth profiles. Greater bandwidth levels are necessary to transmit high quality audio, such as stereo music.

VZ NAV is not configured to take advantage of A2DP. Have you tried it? The only Verizon Bluetooth phone that has it right now is the LG Chocolate, but it won't synch your phone book.

Back to basics, I say.
Old 11-08-2006 | 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Well, I spent an hour at the local Verizon Service Center, another 40 minutes with a combination of Verizon phone support who transferred me to Motorola, and then 15 minutes with my SA. Everyone said the same thing, "They don't know but they think its a compatibility problem"

Just to rule out the speaker option, I carried a coversation on my speaker to the E60, started the car, the phone synced and the conversation that was on the phone's speakers, transferred to my car without a hitch.

So why would the speaker phone mute when I'm using the VZ Nav? Software issue with the Nav application?

I have no idea, somewhere someone has got to know the answer. This feature works fine with other people I know that have BT, mostly aftermarket stuff.
Old 11-08-2006 | 02:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='353856' date='Nov 8 2006, 05:01 PM
So why would the speaker phone mute when I'm using the VZ Nav? Software issue with the Nav application?
Think about it; you don't use the VZ NAV with the earpiece, so it takes over the speakerphone instead. How could you use the speakerphone and listen to the VZ NAV at the same time? You CAN dial out with the VZ NAV running, but that mutes the NAV.

Same with the carkit; it needs to override the phone. If you want something different, disconnect the Bluetooth. You can't have both unless you un-pair the connection.
Old 11-08-2006 | 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Not only doesn't it work but the E60 mutes the speaker phone on the Razr during NAV too.
I would have to unpair the phone anytime I wanted to use the NAV feature.

Shouldn't have to work that way.
Old 11-08-2006 | 06:50 PM
Contributors

You can temporarily override that by pressing the right soft key on the RAZR. That will let the BT link free up from the car without unpairing.

I'll assume you don't have NAV on your E60?

Quick Reply: VZ Nav and BMW Bluetooth