Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

TCU upgrade on 09/03 E60 530i - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 07:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

The TCU on my 530i had some problem and is being changed under warranty with a newer one.

I am hoping that the new TCU will have Bluetooth capability built in, unlike my previous TCU.

Do I need to explicitly ask the dealership to activate the BT (and pay for it) or is it already activated in the TCU?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2007 | 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Very likely yes. Generally, features are not enabled unless specifically asked for.
Old 07-17-2007 | 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's actually a good question. If the new TCU is one of the "new style" units and the service also requires a complete software update (progman or CIP update) BT might show up automatically. If I were you, I'd play it safe and ask the dealer to double check things anyway. They might have to check a box or something during the software upgrade to allow BT functionality to be present...
Old 07-17-2007 | 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='448867' date='Jul 17 2007, 08:24 AM
It's actually a good question. If the new TCU is one of the "new style" units and the service also requires a complete software update (progman or CIP update) BT might show up automatically. If I were you, I'd play it safe and ask the dealer to double check things anyway. They might have to check a box or something during the software upgrade to allow BT functionality to be present...
Good point Rudy. I would also approach the dealer and ask for the details of the new unit. I went through a similar situation when my M-ASK unit (CD player) failed. I was hoping to get MP3 capability with a new unit but the dealer in fact installed an old model unit, leaving me without MP3. Not a big issue for me as I use the iPod adaptor in my glove box, but the point is BMW may require the dealer to use an old TCU unit. Ask the service people for a new unit or you could get an old one without the BT functionality.
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I was thinking -- if this is a warranty replacement, the dealer may be required by BMW to use a remanufactured TCU and since the old TCU doesn't support BT, they may require a similar replacement part (what else are they going to do with all those crashed TCU's that were returned?)

Hope you get the new TCU and BT vsark! Good luck...
Old 07-19-2007 | 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

Thanks for all the inputs.

Got the car back with a new TCU (at least that's what the dealer said) but NO BT on it !
I check with the shop foreman and he said that since car didnt have BT, they put in a TCU without BT...he did however say that it was a new TCU.

Now I am confused...if it is a new TCU then shouldnt it have BT as a standard feature. Is it possible that BT is noit activated and if so how can I check that? I dont see any BT option in the i-drive.

The dealer also told me that since my car is 09/03, it cant be retrofitted with BT...is that true?

Any inputs will help..

thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Probably the easiest thing to do it take a look at the TCU part number to determine what version it is.

Read the following post to learn where the TCU is and what it looks like:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=86138

The dealer is kind of right. A 9/03 car doesn't have bluetooth unless a new model TCU is installed. It's possible that they replaced your bad TCU with a "new" or maybe remanufactured one left over from the old days but it's also possible that they put in a current TCU and just don't understand the intricacies of the whole BT retrofit situation.

If you ended up getting an old TCU, you can still go the BTUM route...
Old 07-20-2007 | 03:41 PM
Members

thanks, the TCU part # on the invoice is 84-10-9-120-760...havent been abe to find any info n it so far.
Old 08-03-2007 | 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

ok, I know this topic has been killed over and over again, but I have never seen my situation,

My TCU was upgraded, not sure which one or which module / yr to. (I have a 09/2003 production yr).

It was upgraded cause when installing the ipod retrofit, it wasnt able to communicate with the bmw systems.

I dont have BMW assist, and I never did. Since it was never used, will a software enabling make the bluetooth work, or will a new microphone and some wires / harnesses need to be installed?

What TCU's part #'s are compatible? I'll be checking later at home. I'm at work right now.

MK
Old 11-08-2007 | 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='454894' date='Aug 3 2007, 11:27 AM
ok, I know this topic has been killed over and over again, but I have never seen my situation,

My TCU was upgraded, not sure which one or which module / yr to. (I have a 09/2003 production yr).

It was upgraded cause when installing the ipod retrofit, it wasnt able to communicate with the bmw systems.

I dont have BMW assist, and I never did. Since it was never used, will a software enabling make the bluetooth work, or will a new microphone and some wires / harnesses need to be installed?

What TCU's part #'s are compatible? I'll be checking later at home. I'm at work right now.

MK

Does anyone know if you don't have BMW assist, and have a bluetooth TCU, can you enable bluetooth? or would i have to have BMW assist installed first and then the bluetooth software?

Someone help, I'm going to bmw dealership sat morning to have my friend do a few things and I want to give him a step by step instruction on what to do to get bluetooth. BTW. my TCU was replaced already.

HELP!

Quick Reply: TCU upgrade on 09/03 E60 530i - help!