Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

TCU ***DIY***

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

I need to install a new TCU on my 06 550i.
I have no BT or SOS button working and the dealer says I need a new TCU!
Is it very easy to remove and install a new one?
Coding? or is it switch & plug and play? any DIY that people know about?

Thanks for any insight...
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by Euronuts

Thanks for any insight...
Removing and replacing the part is easy, but you are going to need to get the new module coded. You can probably get a used module and make it work without coding, but someone more experienced with coding is going to have to chime in here.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Removing and replacing the part is easy, but you are going to need to get the new module coded. You can probably get a used module and make it work without coding, but someone more experienced with coding is going to have to chime in here.
Correct, the install is super easy - literally 4 nuts and a few plugs and done. The programming is the tricky part, it needs to be coded via the fiber optic connector and most indy shops don't have this. It also needs to be coded because it's specific to your VIN# so it will not work if it's not coded. My best recommendation is to see if you or someone you know can find a BMW technician that wants to earn a little extra cash on the side and get them to do it.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Hi Pjinca,

How are you doing?

I got my CCC, IBS, negative cable and new battery installed last Thursday by the shop you recommended. Man, it took them like 6 hours to update the software via the fiber optic cable for the remanufactured CCC. When they did the CCC for your car, by any chance did the voice command feature becomes non operational? If so, were they able to program it to work? The guys at the shop were great! However, I am a little disappointed because my repair is not quite complete. I hope I can go back there next week and get my battery registered, Voice Comand Feature activated and get my navigation DVD back from the old unit that they forgot to take out when they shipped ( or hand carried) back to the vendor where they bought the CCC.

Anyways, I really hope they can follow through with the good reviews I read from some people.

Thanks, man.

Originally Posted by pjinca
Correct, the install is super easy - literally 4 nuts and a few plugs and done. The programming is the tricky part, it needs to be coded via the fiber optic connector and most indy shops don't have this. It also needs to be coded because it's specific to your VIN# so it will not work if it's not coded. My best recommendation is to see if you or someone you know can find a BMW technician that wants to earn a little extra cash on the side and get them to do it.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Voice input will need the FSC enabling codes, it will not work with out these.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Thanks, Blood.

Is this FSC enabling codes easy to get for most INDY BMW repair shops? Because they failed to return my messages, they totally lost my trust! Now, I don't even know if they will honor the 2 year parts and labor they stated on the receipt. I really wish I had paid the extra money and went with the BMW Dealer in the first place. So much for saving a few bucks... lol. Totally not worth it!

I will have to take a 45 minutes drive to their shop next Monday just to see what they will say.

Originally Posted by BLooD
Voice input will need the FSC enabling codes, it will not work with out these.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Contributors

No they come from the factory in Germany.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Members

Sorry if I sounded stupid, if this shop claims to have bought it as an OEM part from the BMW dealer, does that mean they can easily get the codes from the dealer or factory in Germany? Given that the CCC is OEM and has a 2 year warranty, they should simply be able enter the codes and program it to get my voice command feature to work, right?

Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by BLooD
No they come from the factory in Germany.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Depends on the dealer, some will give the codes and some wont. They will have to ask, the codes are specific to your VIN., if your car came with SA620 voice input from the factory then the FSC codes will already be available and paid for.
If your retrofitting SA620 then the FSC codes need to be generated by a special program.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Euronuts,
You can check my thread out on the TCU to Combox swap. Replacing the TCU with another follows almost the same protocol. Just remove the cover-panel, unscrew the mounting screws, disconnect the three antennas, Fiber optic connector and main harness, swap the modules and retrace the connections. The TCU is located in the trunk behind the rear left wheel-well panel.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/106...1#entry1262707

For TCU coding, you may also contact another member of our forums for help. He goes by the alias "Patrys". This module can be coded via the ODBII interface.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: TCU ***DIY***