Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Successful pre 03/04 Bluetooth Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew.

After months of piecing a solution together I am happy to report my 09/2003 build E60 has a fully functional BT setup.

Step 1) TCU replaced under warranty. Cost $0.00. When installing my snow tires and upgrading my software to V13 the TCU would not take the new software, there was nothing to be done except replace the TCU. This took over a week but now that I have a working system it was well worth the wait (old part # 84 11 6 948 921 replaced with new part # 84 11 6 956 688). This required no new wiring harness - just the unit and software reprogram.

Step 2) Vote with wallet, drop Sprint PCS and port cell number to Cingular/AT&T. When the LG PM 325 came out with OBEX disabled it was for me the last straw. I acquired two Sony Ericsson T637's. Total cost $0.00. Cingular web site occasionally runs promotions on specific phones; I just waited it out. I checked every day, took about two weeks and it popped back up one afternoon, lasted two days and now they're back to trying to get $119 ea. for them. I like candy bar phones and don't care for flips (although the RAZR is cool but I'd just rather have a bar). One could argue I have the implicit cost of a two year contract - I'm over it.

Step 3) Dealer gets VO (vehicle order) software sent to him via internet (from BMWNA/factory?) to program my car (based on my specific VIN/options). This is crucial - you can't just pair a phone with a new TCU; there is additional recoding to be done. Also updates software to V15.2 in the process. Again, no wiring harness, no hardware of any kind. Cost: one hour shop time ($94.50) + environmental (?) ($3.31) + shop supplies ($3.31) + tax = $107.19. Minus the $50 gift certificate they gave me when I got the car (yes, I held this thing for 16 months) = $57.19.

Step 4) fill out all rebates, etc.... during this process I would regale a colleague with my tails of woe. He in turn got excited about a BT solution of his own and changed his two lines to Cingular which apparently entitles me to a $50 rebate.

Total cost out of pocket: $7.19*

*There is some possibility I can get an additional $240 back in phone rebates from AT&T (I got two T637's and found a rebate form for $120 ea.) but I'm not counting on it - I signed up through Cingular so I assume they'll pull the ol' Cingular vs. AT&T contract difference on me....obviously that would make this whole deal not only cool but lucrative.

And my quest ends with a fully functional - BT enabled - phonebook transferring - handfree solution in my car. It sounds great, the audio mutes when a call comes in and people on the other end say they can hear some background noise but my speech is sharp and clear. I don't have NAV but I programmed a couple of voice dial numbers quickly last night and that seems to work flawlessly as well. Many thanks to pharding, et al on this board for their work and the vast knowledge base. A cool car gets cooler and all is right with the world.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Now that is what i wanted to hear sands, my car is in the shop as we speak to get numerous things tinkered with. I will wait till they call me with there synopsis of whether my sept build 530 can be fitted with the bluetooth retrofit. My SA is a great guy and i may be able to talk him into a new tcu under warrenty. Now you say you dont have Nav so i guess they had to implement some type of voice activation or does it just come from your phone? Once again this is the best new a brother could possibly get
Old 02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nice write up Sans. I think the key is finding a way to get the TCU changed under warranty...
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Is your BMW Assist still working?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:52 PM
Now you say you dont have Nav so i guess they had to implement some type of voice activation or does it just come from your phone?? Once again this is the best new a brother could possibly get
[snapback]88744[/snapback]
Actually the voice phone book is in the TCU. You press the steering wheel voice button, it beeps, you say "save name", it asks for the name, you say "Joe", it asks "what number?" you tell it the number, it verifies, you say "save" and it's done - really easy, one try. This phone book is totally independant of your phones internal phonebook. The phone's phonebook is there too (in the iDrive) but this one is just for the car (up to 50 names).
Old 02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:53 PM
Nice write up Sans.? I think the key is finding a way to get the TCU changed under warranty...
[snapback]88746[/snapback]
Definitely. I wish I could help there...I actually had to ask my guy if he (ahem) fixed it for me but he was adament - the darn thing would not take the sw upgrade.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:58 PM
Is your BMW Assist still working?
[snapback]88750[/snapback]
I don't think so. When the free 1 year subscription came up I declined the renewal. I think I can still see it in the iDrive window as an option however - I'll check. Do you suppose if I try and activate it without paying they'll smack my hand?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Feb 11 2005, 12:07 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:58 PM']Is your BMW Assist still working?
I don't think so. When the free 1 year subscription came up I declined the renewal. I think I can still see it in the iDrive window as an option however - I'll check. Do you suppose if I try and activate it without paying they'll smack my hand?
[snapback]88756[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am asking because it might not work anymore, since your BT install was done without wiring harness...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:10 PM
[quote name='Sans' date='Feb 11 2005, 12:07 AM'][quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:58 PM']Is your BMW Assist still working?
[snapback]88756[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am asking because it might not work anymore, since your BT install was done without wiring harness...
[snapback]88759[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think it actually is working.
I tried to connect to it, the "call" went out and a recording said "our records indicate you have not registered for BMW Assist....blah blah blah....you may end this call at any time by saying 'goodbye' " to which I said "goodbye" and the recording stoped mid-sentence and said "goodbye". It definitley recognized my voice command to say goodbye.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

[snapback]88759[/snapback]
[/quote]

oops ice, didi you say the harness word

Quick Reply: Successful pre 03/04 Bluetooth Install