Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Successful Bluetooth Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
MDT
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

This is my first post to this group, although I have followed it for a number of months. The info from this net was invaluble in being able to activate the bluetooth in my 3/17/04 build 525i. I wanted to relay my succes with this process. I printed SIB 841304 and took it with my to my dealer. Before I went, I called MY BMW in Monterey because I had read a post that someone had success with their 2004 at this dealership. I talked with the shop foreman and got a complete rundown of what they did, and how many 2004 cars they had activated to date. With all this info, I talked to the parts manager at my dealership and had him call the "hotline" with my vin number. He indicated it looked like it could be done. I showed up with all this info, as well as a list of problems that needed correction with a software update.

Now the good news. The dealer upgraded my software under warranty and proceeded to turn on the bluetooth at no charge. It cost me exactly $ 0.0 to have bluetooth added to my 2004. They tested it with a Verizon V3c phone and everythng worked (not sure if they tested transfer of address book). Now I am in the process upgrading my v60c to a bluetooth phone.

Thanks again to this forum for providing the basic info that was necessary to convince my dealer that this was able to be done. Their first response when I showed up was that they didn't think it could be done without a TCU change out. Then I started laying out all my documentation.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

First, welcome to the Forum. This is the best around.

I have a April 2004 build 525 and have been thinking about bluetooth so its good to see your experience. I have been using the CPT9000 and really like the seamless integration into the car system. I am pretty sure I can get bluetooth enabled but then I loose the "plug-in" capability of the existing set-up, especially the charger function. If BMW offered a cradle for my car, I'd go Blue in a minute.

Good luck with the new phone set-up.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Welcome to E60.net MDT! Good news on the upgrade. It looks like you just made the tranisition dates on the TCU. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:31 PM
JWO
Members

Originally Posted by MDT' post='262778' date='Mar 30 2006, 04:54 PM
This is my first post to this group, although I have followed it for a number of months. The info from this net was invaluble in being able to activate the bluetooth in my 3/17/04 build 525i. I wanted to relay my succes with this process. I printed SIB 841304 and took it with my to my dealer. Before I went, I called MY BMW in Monterey because I had read a post that someone had success with their 2004 at this dealership. I talked with the shop foreman and got a complete rundown of what they did, and how many 2004 cars they had activated to date. With all this info, I talked to the parts manager at my dealership and had him call the "hotline" with my vin number. He indicated it looked like it could be done. I showed up with all this info, as well as a list of problems that needed correction with a software update.

Now the good news. The dealer upgraded my software under warranty and proceeded to turn on the bluetooth at no charge. It cost me exactly $ 0.0 to have bluetooth added to my 2004. They tested it with a Verizon V3c phone and everythng worked (not sure if they tested transfer of address book). Now I am in the process upgrading my v60c to a bluetooth phone.

Thanks again to this forum for providing the basic info that was necessary to convince my dealer that this was able to be done. Their first response when I showed up was that they didn't think it could be done without a TCU change out. Then I started laying out all my documentation.

Did you have to replace the TCU to get your BT working? My SA keeps telling me that I need to replace the TCU, at my expense, to get the BT working. Also, where can I download the SIB 841304? Please help!! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by JWO' post='263591' date='Apr 2 2006, 01:31 AM
Did you have to replace the TCU to get your BT working? My SA keeps telling me that I need to replace the TCU, at my expense, to get the BT working. Also, where can I download the SIB 841304? Please help!! Thanks!
You need to have your build date to answer that question. If the build was after the first week of March 2004, the chances are that the car was built with the newer TCU.

Check on the driver's side door jamb and look at the production date. The next steps are posted many times over in this forum.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 PM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

[attachment=21775:attachment]
Originally Posted by JWO' post='263591' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:31 PM
I did not have to replace my TCU. My car is a 3/17/04 build. It is on the driver door jam, and I also check it out with BMWNA. I had my best success at the dealership by starting with the parts department. Once I got in touch with someone in parts that knew what they were doing, they were able to call what he said was theri "hotline" to determine that I had the correct TCU. I gave him the SIB number and he looked it up. I then had to direct him to item number 4 on the service bulletin. If they just glance at the first part, they will come back and tell you it can't be done. He actually called the " hotline" while I held.

When I went to service, I told them their parts guy had checked it out (gave them his name and all that) and I also gave them a printed copy of SIB841304. I fully expected, and was willing to pay in the range of $350 to $450 for the upgrade, as that is what I had heard it cost. But, because my software was upgrade to 20.02 for other warranty reasons, the dealer choose to just turn on the bluetooth during the upgrade. It cost me nothing. They gave me a BMW loaner for a day and a half, corrected all my warranty problems, and turn on my bluetooth. I have since bought a Verizon V3c phone and it works perfectly. The phone book with over 250 entries trasferred perfectly. Both steering wheel buttons now work and I have voice dialing of the phone. Needless to say, I am a happy camper! My wife thinks I am crazy for getting so excited over this whole thing, but it is just special when a plan comes together and works.

Oh yeah, I haven't figured for sure how to attach things to my messages, but I will give it a try. If it works, SIB842304 is attached. If it doesn't work. you can search this forum and find it. Good luck.

Bluetooth.pdf
Old 04-02-2006, 11:28 PM
JWO
Members

Originally Posted by MDT' post='263866' date='Apr 2 2006, 09:16 PM
[attachment=21775:attachment]

Oh yeah, I haven't figured for sure how to attach things to my messages, but I will give it a try. If it works, SIB842304 is attached. If it doesn't work. you can search this forum and find it. Good luck.

Attachment 17325
Thank you for the info and attaching the pdf file! My build is 9/03 so it may not be possible but I will definitely give it a try.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

Originally Posted by JWO' post='263891' date='Apr 3 2006, 01:28 AM
Thank you for the info and attaching the pdf file! My build is 9/03 so it may not be possible but I will definitely give it a try.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

Ah that was me. Trying to increase my number of posts.

Actually, the comment was a forum member in Nebr had his car upgraded and it was a Feb 04 build. Go figure.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: CURRENT 2005 M3 - Silver on black, Leather, Sport Package, SMG, PDC. (wife) 2004 545i - Black on Gray, Leather, Steptronic Transmission, Sport Package, Navigation, Active Steering.

I am getting the bluetooth as well as phone cradle in the car today.

They have to program TCU to make it all work.

I just got one call from the dealer and the programming is still going on... I hope all is well when it get's done.

Quick Reply: Successful Bluetooth Upgrade