Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Sprint Bluetooth Phones

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Originally Posted by cursed' post='313399' date='Jul 20 2006, 07:52 PM
There are two new Sprint phones out that will pair with my 06 E60.

1. Sanyo Katana (SCP-6600) will do a full phone book transfer that shows multiple numbers per contact (i.e. home, work, cell) and also displays the signal strength on I-Drive. However, it doesn't feature Sprint's Power Vision and also may suffer from poor battery life because of its "ultra slim" design. The Katana is available at sprint.com, in Sprint stores, and at Radio Shack.

2. Nokia 6165i will only transfer the default phone number per contact and does not display the phone's signal strength on I-Drive. Like the Katana it does not feaure Sprint's Power Vision but it does have a battery rated at 4 hrs talk/240 hrs stand-by. The Nokia is available exclusively at Radio Shack.

I've found that the Radio Shack guys are generally willing to go out to the car with you to demo the phone before you buy it.

I hope this helps you guys out!
Thanks very much. I will check out the Sanyo. I have had good luck with that brand of phone in the past. Did you actually test the Bluetooth compatability yourself, or do you have a source for updated BMW compatable phones. I don't know the last time BMW updated its website and assume that there are some new phones out that will work.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Originally Posted by steve-san' post='313688' date='Jul 21 2006, 12:03 PM
I've got an '06 530i (fairly recent CIP -- plays MP3's now...), and my Sprint Fusic (the LG LX550) works great in handsfree mode, but the contacts do NOT sync.

FWIW, I love the phone. Nice little multimedia device, and very small/thin. Bought it after the local Verizon dealer told me that their Razr V3M was a "music" player, but not an MP3 player. "Excuse me?", I say. The guy says "It's WMA only... but you can easily convert all your MP3's to WMA!". Yes, I immediately walked out of the store.

-Steve

Thanks Steve - I will check out this phone as well.

Are you able to use the telephone's voice dialing capability when bluetooth connected to your car?

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='313691' date='Jul 21 2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks very much. I will check out the Sanyo. I have had good luck with that brand of phone in the past. Did you actually test the Bluetooth compatability yourself, or do you have a source for updated BMW compatable phones. I don't know the last time BMW updated its website and assume that there are some new phones out that will work.

Thanks for your help.
I tested both the Katana and Nokia 6165i myself while shopping around for new phones. I wish there was an updated source for compatible phones, but until then it's all about trial and error.

BTW - Something that I've learned is that when going through the bluetooth settings on any phone make sure that the phone's visibility is not hidden and that the phone's bluetooth audio and obex profiles are also active. After the phone is paired with the car if the phonebook does not begin to transfer within a minute then cycle the car on and off and the phonebook should begin to appear.

Best of luck!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:33 AM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

I had a PPC 6700 with windows mobile 5 and paired fine with phonebook transfer. Worked great.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='313255' date='Jul 20 2006, 01:06 PM
Hi Jon

Double check that will you. I think mine also paired at first, but didn't work so well. I also believe it "unpairs" at will.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks

PS - Anyone else using current Sprint phones (other than Treo 650) that are working???
Update on the A900 and my 530i...

I don't have any problem with pairing - over the last 4 days it pairs just fine when I get in the car. The phonebook didn't transfer, I had to build it using the voice commands - this might be because I don't have a Nav system (I'm not sure). It makes calls just fine, either by number or by name. The only problem I'm having is that it won't hang up - maybe I'm doing it wrong, but pushing the "phone" button on the steering wheel or selecting "end call" in the iDrive menu will not hang up the phone. I have to open the phone and press the "END" button.

So, it's clearly not perfect, but since I only occasionally make calls from my car, I'm not too discouraged. Maybe a CIP upgrade would make things better...
Old 07-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i, Orient Blue (shadow line), Black Leather, Steptronic, Sports Pkg, M-Aero Kit w/RaceMesh Grille, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, HUD, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Sunshade, ALU Cube interior trim, Back-lit Door Sills, Comfort Seats!

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='313719' date='Jul 21 2006, 07:15 PM
Are you able to use the telephone's voice dialing capability when bluetooth connected to your car?
Since you asked, I just tested this w/my Sprint Fusic. No, it doesn't seem to work. In fact, having the phone sync'ed to the car actually breaks the phone's internal voice command functionality altogether.

See, once you've done the pairing, as long as you leave BT turned on in the phone, it always connects to the car automagically whenever you get into your ride (very cool). Unfortunately, when you flip the phone open & hit the voice command button, it does not accept voice input thru the car's microphone, and it doesn't listen to it's own mic anymore, either. Seems like a broken implementation of the HandsFree Profile, if you ask me.
Also, if you hit the voice command button(s) in the car, and say "call", it brings up the i-Drive address book screen, then (since it's empty) the car says "feature currently not available" or something like that.

I'm actually going to need another software upgrade for a different problem, so I'l re-test in a few weeks when that's done.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='314230' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:57 PM
Update on the A900 and my 530i...

I don't have any problem with pairing - over the last 4 days it pairs just fine when I get in the car. The phonebook didn't transfer, I had to build it using the voice commands - this might be because I don't have a Nav system (I'm not sure). It makes calls just fine, either by number or by name. The only problem I'm having is that it won't hang up - maybe I'm doing it wrong, but pushing the "phone" button on the steering wheel or selecting "end call" in the iDrive menu will not hang up the phone. I have to open the phone and press the "END" button.

So, it's clearly not perfect, but since I only occasionally make calls from my car, I'm not too discouraged. Maybe a CIP upgrade would make things better...
Thanks for checking Jon.

I do have NAV and am unable to get the A900 to retain its pairing. Might be a difference in NAV vs. non-NAV cars.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by steve-san' post='314261' date='Jul 23 2006, 05:28 PM
Since you asked, I just tested this w/my Sprint Fusic. No, it doesn't seem to work. In fact, having the phone sync'ed to the car actually breaks the phone's internal voice command functionality altogether.

See, once you've done the pairing, as long as you leave BT turned on in the phone, it always connects to the car automagically whenever you get into your ride (very cool). Unfortunately, when you flip the phone open & hit the voice command button, it does not accept voice input thru the car's microphone, and it doesn't listen to it's own mic anymore, either. Seems like a broken implementation of the HandsFree Profile, if you ask me.
Also, if you hit the voice command button(s) in the car, and say "call", it brings up the i-Drive address book screen, then (since it's empty) the car says "feature currently not available" or something like that.

I'm actually going to need another software upgrade for a different problem, so I'l re-test in a few weeks when that's done.
Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to check this out for me. Since my goal in getting a new phone is to have one that works well with the car it sounds like the Fusic isn't the one for me. I don't really need all the features it has anyway.

Appreciate your help.

John
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by steve-san' post='314261' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:28 PM
FYI - If you want to use the voice command feature of the car set up a "voice" address book internally on I-Drive.

After pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel say: "Save Name" and then follow the prompts.

To dial using voice command hit the v/c button then say: "Dial Name" and after I-Drive has confirmed the name say: "Yes" to dial.

To dial a number that's not in your address book press the v/c button then say: "Dial Number" and confirm by saying: "Dial."

Anytime you offer voice command a response that it doesn't understand it will respond with "feature not available." Often it has nothing to do with your phone...it's just not a very intuitive system. If at any point you don't know the command for an action on voice command after pressing the v/c button say: "help" and it will give you a list of available commands.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cursed' post='314386' date='Jul 24 2006, 01:49 AM
FYI - If you want to use the voice command feature of the car set up a "voice" address book internally on I-Drive.

After pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel say: "Save Name" and then follow the prompts.

To dial using voice command hit the v/c button then say: "Dial Name" and after I-Drive has confirmed the name say: "Yes" to dial.

To dial a number that's not in your address book press the v/c button then say: "Dial Number" and confirm by saying: "Dial."

Anytime you offer voice command a response that it doesn't understand it will respond with "feature not available." Often it has nothing to do with your phone...it's just not a very intuitive system. If at any point you don't know the command for an action on voice command after pressing the v/c button say: "help" and it will give you a list of available commands.
Sure wish I could do this, but I don't believe this feature is available in NAV equipped cars :thumbsdown: .

One of the problems I have with hands free phone systems in most cars is that you don't have the ability to actually save a phonebook in the car's system. Instead, the car's system merely reads what is on your bluetooth phone (if it's even able to do that) and make the phonebook available for hands free use.

BMW does describe the "Voice Command Phonebook" which seemingly does allow the car's system to store phone numbers, but as I said, this feature is not available in NAV equipped cars for some reason (AFAIK). Since I have NAV - - I'm out of luck with Sprint unless I can find a phone through anecdotal information on this forum that others have used successfully.

Quick Reply: Sprint Bluetooth Phones