Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

some basic BT questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530i. Premium, Sport, powere shades, Sat. radio and hopefully the occasional groupy in the seat.

What is needed to take full advantage of this system. These cradles that everyone is talking about, what benefit does that provide? And is there some installment options initially to get the phone to work with the car? The salesman didn't know.(beautiful). I have a Moto MPx-220, which is not on the list and surprises me as it is Moto's Smartphone running windows.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

I'm a BT newbie myself, but let me take a stab. I'm sure the experts will roll in pretty soon with more info.

- To use BT, all you need to do is follow the procedure to link the phone and the car. Doesn't have to be in a cradle to work, but without a cradle phone will use its own antenna and own power source.
-Cradle provide recharge (BT drains battery pretty quick) and access to car antenna in shark fin
- I use a Moto V550, which is also not on the list (V551 is though)
- I don't use a cradle 'cause my phone is office issue and I'm moving jobs soon
- BT itself works wonderfully. My sound quality is good and all phone book entries display in the car. Took only 5 minutes to link car and phone.

Lastly, try surfing around the BT forum for more details.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Red' date='Oct 23 2005, 12:44 PM
I'm a BT newbie myself, but let me take a stab.? I'm sure the experts will roll in pretty soon with more info.

- To use BT, all you need to do is follow the procedure to link the phone and the car.? Doesn't have to be in a cradle to work, but without a cradle phone will use its own antenna and own power source.
-Cradle provide recharge (BT drains battery pretty quick) and access to car antenna in shark fin
- I use a Moto V550, which is also not on the list (V551 is though)
- I don't use a cradle 'cause my phone is office issue and I'm moving jobs soon
- BT itself works wonderfully.? My sound quality is good and all phone book entries display in the car.? Took only 5 minutes to link car and phone.

Lastly, try surfing around the BT forum for more details.
[snapback]187615[/snapback]
You did just fine, nothing to add. Your v550 ought to fit same cradle as the all v6xx and v5xx and even another series works in same cradle. I know u don't need/want but mention this in case anyone else was interested.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i,silver grey metalic, sport/premium package,nav,pdc,chrome style 121,logic7 sound

Originally Posted by ghetto fabulous' date='Oct 23 2005, 08:42 AM
What is needed to take full advantage of this system. These cradles that everyone is talking about, what benefit does that provide? And is there some installment options initially to get the phone to work with the car? The salesman didn't know.(beautiful). I have a Moto MPx-220, which is not on the list and surprises me as it is Moto's Smartphone running windows.
[snapback]187596[/snapback]

Huck the cradle. You won't need it and it probably won't fit your phone anyway. If you happen to have a phone BMW makes a cradle for, it will charge your phone, that's about it.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:18 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by ghetto fabulous' date='Oct 23 2005, 10:42 AM
[snapback]187596[/snapback]
All that is needed to take "full advantage" of the system is a (compatible) Bluetooth phone. That's it.

You don't need a cradle; in fact, a cradle that you have to put your phone in every time you get in the car defeats the purpose of Bluetooth! The whole idea of Bluetooth is that your phone can be on your belt, in your pocket, in your purse, or whatever, and you can make and receive calls via the vehicle's system without having to touch (or cradle) your phone.

The reason why some people like the cradle is because they're probably used to it from the pre-Bluetooth days, and it's nice because it powers the phone and gives the phone access to the vehicle's antenna. But to me, messing with a cradle defeats the purpose of Bluetooth.

As for installing it, there's nothing special the dealer has to do: you just follow the instructions for "pairing" the phone with your car (a standard Bluetooth process) in the telephone user's manual, and that's it. Then, whenever you're in range of your car, you can choose to use the vehicle's system to make and receive calls (and no, it won't mess things up if, say, your car is running and you're standing next to it and want to use the handset; the handset takes priority).
Old 10-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

The me the benefit of the cradle is the fact that the phone charges.. Depens on how much you use the phone I presume. Reception only seems to be marginally better.
I do find myself transferring sound from the car to the phone sometimes, especially when making more serious calls. At high speed people can't hear you properly.

Just mho..
Old 11-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

i put the 3xx thru 6xx motorola cradle in my 545 for tbattery charging and hooking up the antenna. normally it its just clipped on my belt. but when i travel outside the local area i need the antenna on long trips as well as the charging.

i took the coin tray off and drilled a 3/16 hole thru the bottom plate. the motorola cradle is screwed and double taped the the bottom pop up carrier. i tapped power from the 12v socket in the back of the arm rest. make a cable adapter to hook up to the car antenna plug in the back of the arm rest. saved $250. will be modifing the coin cover to make the mount look more presentable.