Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Software frozen because of BT

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 07:58 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 BMW 530i

Hello guys, new to the forum. I have a 2005 530i (no navi) that I got last month. I got into the car, my iphone starts ringing. I turn the car on, it starts ringing through car speakers. I take the toggle switch (in the car below the shifter) and I click on "accept". On the screen it says connected. Im saying "hello, hello..." Then I noticed on the Iphone it says call failed. So when I call back, it does not go through the car's speakers... Now I turned off my car several times... It still says connected on the screen and I can not use any audio, my radio cd player doesen't work... when I go to telephone, it says connected. I click on "end call" several times and does nothing... I can go to car data, entertainment and all. but whenever i go to communications it still says connected... Its like the thing froze or something...

I am really frustrated... I searched the net, didn't find any solution... I was trying to look for the battery and thought maybe disconnecting the battery for 1 hr may reset everything... or is there a way to do a software reset? Any help is appreicated...
Old 12-12-2008 | 08:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sjzking408' post='744309' date='Dec 12 2008, 11:58 PM
Hello guys, new to the forum. I have a 2005 530i (no navi) that I got last month. I got into the car, my iphone starts ringing. I turn the car on, it starts ringing through car speakers. I take the toggle switch (in the car below the shifter) and I click on "accept". On the screen it says connected. Im saying "hello, hello..." Then I noticed on the Iphone it says call failed. So when I call back, it does not go through the car's speakers... Now I turned off my car several times... It still says connected on the screen and I can not use any audio, my radio cd player doesen't work... when I go to telephone, it says connected. I click on "end call" several times and does nothing... I can go to car data, entertainment and all. but whenever i go to communications it still says connected... Its like the thing froze or something...

I am really frustrated... I searched the net, didn't find any solution... I was trying to look for the battery and thought maybe disconnecting the battery for 1 hr may reset everything... or is there a way to do a software reset? Any help is appreicated...
#1 - This sounds like a BT (bluetooth) pairing issue. There is a specific (BMW) process you must follow to pair your phone. Failing to follow that to the letter can cause problems.
#2 - You should ensure that your iphone firmware has been updated - there were BT issues with early releases.
#3 - Go to the e60.net forum information page - there you can download full manuals for your car.
#4 - Check with a BMW Dealer SA to ensure that any s/w updates necessary for your production date car have been performed. Now that it's out or warranty those will not be free unless it is to fix a specific problem.
#5 - There are several threads for iphone and BT issues - use the search feature to hunt and read those.

Last but not least -
Old 12-12-2008 | 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

here's the thread regarding getting the iPhone to work..

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=65872

phone just needs a software upgrade

to the forum as well..

if you really wanna reset your iDrive: push the cd eject, dvd eject, and volume knob all at the same time and it will reset the iDrive manually. It will eject both discs and reset the system. Only works if you have NAV.
Old 12-12-2008 | 08:28 PM
Members

thanks for the replies guys... OK i didnt mention in the first post... The phone has worked fine before... I have no problems with the phone not working, I can access the contacts and everything before.. The manual on the BMWUSA website does not show where the battery is located... I didn't know there was a manual on here as well... I will look into downloading that one... thanks...

the problem is, the idrive still thinks the phone is connected when in reality the phone is not... I have turned the car on/off several times still didn't clear... I can go to car data,information, entertainment, but since the software thinks the phone is still connected, everything else is muted (radio,cd,commands)

@GENEaTALS- It doesen't have NAV, any other way to reset it? It shouldn't do any harm, except resel my settings right? if there is a way to reset it...
Old 12-12-2008 | 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by sjzking408' post='744336' date='Dec 12 2008, 09:28 PM
thanks for the replies guys... OK i didnt mention in the first post... The phone has worked fine before... I have no problems with the phone not working, I can access the contacts and everything before.. The manual on the BMWUSA website does not show where the battery is located... I didn't know there was a manual on here as well... I will look into downloading that one... thanks...

the problem is, the idrive still thinks the phone is connected when in reality the phone is not... I have turned the car on/off several times still didn't clear... I can go to car data,information, entertainment, but since the software thinks the phone is still connected, everything else is muted (radio,cd,commands)

@GENEaTALS- It doesen't have NAV, any other way to reset it? It shouldn't do any harm, except resel my settings right? if there is a way to reset it...
have you tried just deleting your phone from the car OS via the iDrive? As well as resetting your phone...you probaly glitched the software or something...Happened to me with my BB when I was pairing and a called came thru...parked the car, let the car go into sleep mode (took a little while-think I waited 15 minutes just in case), pulled my battery from my phone to reset (I know iPhones don't have that option)..came back and all was fine after....
Old 12-12-2008 | 08:52 PM
Members

Yes, I tried deleting it from iDrive, but it just wont do it...(when i click on delete, it does absolutely nothing) I am new to the BMW world, coming from a prelude... when you mean sleep mode? You mean turn it off and let it rest... I did turn off the car for aprox. 15 mins. parked the car, went inside a store. Came out and still the same thing... I turned off the BT feature on the phone and also turned the phone off, still same thing... Will disconnecting the battery solve the problem? If so, please tell me where the battery is located... or you think I should just let the car sit there overnight and see what happnes tomorow?
Old 12-12-2008 | 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sjzking408' post='744343' date='Dec 12 2008, 09:52 PM
Yes, I tried deleting it from iDrive, but it just wont do it...(when i click on delete, it does absolutely nothing) I am new to the BMW world, coming from a prelude... when you mean sleep mode? You mean turn it off and let it rest... I did turn off the car for aprox. 15 mins. parked the car, went inside a store. Came out and still the same thing... I turned off the BT feature on the phone and also turned the phone off, still same thing... Will disconnecting the battery solve the problem? If so, please tell me where the battery is located... or you think I should just let the car sit there overnight and see what happnes tomorow?
battery is located in the trunk, gonna take a bit of work to get to it, not sure if that will solve your problem....try letting it sit overnight...if not perhaps a quick trip to the dealer tomorrow in the AM is in need...GL...keep us posted...

and yes, sleep meaning turn it off and let it rest..

I am sure some other members will be along to chime in with help as well...
Old 12-13-2008 | 02:13 PM
Members

When I woke up this morning, started the car. BINGO!!! It works... I guess it just needed to go into sleep mode for it to reset... thanks for all the help!!! I appreciate it!!!!
Old 12-13-2008 | 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sjzking408' post='744647' date='Dec 13 2008, 03:13 PM
When I woke up this morning, started the car. BINGO!!! It works... I guess it just needed to go into sleep mode for it to reset... thanks for all the help!!! I appreciate it!!!!
Glad it worked out...