Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Snap In adapter/Cradle Install (v551)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Part numbers installed today:
84 21 0 307 726 Snap in adapter (specific to Motorola v6xx, v5xx phones) ~ 96.00
51 16 7 139 000 Support ~ $109.00 (Option 644)
84 21 6 946 075 Eject box ~ $130.00 (not the same eject box used in the v60 CPT9000 mobile phone configuration).

Part Numbers needed to complete (not needed for functionality)
51 16 1 964 677 8-bolt ~ $ 00.34 (not installed yet on mine)
51 16 7 113 151 Base ~ $ 34.21 (not installed yet)
51 16 7 113 150 Cover ~ $ 8.16 (not installed yet)

All above are retail prices. I also got BMWCCA 15% discount on those prices.

1 hour labor charge although not all the parts were installed in this go round so maybe another 0.5 hours.

Cannot verify at this time if coding is required yet or not as they worked without the instructions that came with option 644.

Leaving the dealership I made my first call. Seemed to work fine. About 2 minutes after I hung up the signal strength bar graphs disappeared altogether. Could not make any calls. Snapped phone out and within seconds the signal strength meter came back. Played around and if I fully insert phone the display in the lower left iDrive would go from a message "Portable" to "search.net" and signal strength would disappear. When that happens I release the phone just enough to fool it into thinking it is not docked (still charging) and the signal returns as well as the word "Portable" in idrive while in communications menu. This did not happen 100 percent of time. I was able to get the phone fully seated and keep ?portable? and signal strength, but probably only one out of 20 tries.

Scheduled back in Monday to install additional parts and look at this phenomena.

Most these [arts were installed today. I was the first done at this dealer and the instructions were lost (28 pages came with option 644). They are looking for the instructions and the small parts listed above to complete the install.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

Thanks you very much for the update and your list of parts ... do you know if these parts are specific for the 645 or are they general the the e60 as well ... also, what is option 644?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Apr 1 2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks you very much for the update and your list of parts ... do you know if these parts are specific for the 645 or are they general the the e60 as well ... also, what is option 644?
[snapback]109772[/snapback]
No differences in in 6 or 5 series in this area, at least for the major bluetooth components. Maybe some of the trim pieces could be different. But adapters, eject box are the same. That's why I posted here and use this forum so much. Only a few things (like only 2 doors, or real cup holder ) are different.

Option 644 is called in one document I have "Preparation for Mobile Phone w/Blutooth. It was not described or even known about by dealer so not on initial order. Someone else on forum mentioned it (could have been Rudy with his access to tech info) and I went to dealer. They found it in a search under diagrams 51_5227 Center console/supports, etc. As it turned out it was not all inclusive and only resulted in one of the needed parts. If u can get ur dealer to look up option 644 for 5 series that should be a good start. I would hope that those that know they will be going bluetooth can order this 644 or another similar option - 633 and get all the necessary parts and wiring factory installed. Then they only have to order the specific Snap in Adapter for their specific phone and be ready to go.

I posted drawing in this thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...&hl=Option+644

633, by the way is "Preparation, Mobile Phone, Business" I suspect possibly a non-US or BMWNA vehicle, but cannot be certain.

I will update this on Monday after my next trip to the dealer.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

This is an installation error by the dealership. In the trunk on the driver side there is a panel close the the brake light. It has two (i think) clips that look like screw holding it in. If you remove thos screws you can pull the panel out with a firm tug. If you search for a few minutes you will find two antenna leads with FARKA connectors on the ends. One will have what looks like a large plug already inserted into the end. You have to remove this plug and connect the two antenna leads together. This will actually make th connection from the cradle to the sharkfin. A lot of people ask why the connection is not already made. To answer this...there is a part that you can buy called a compensator. This is a part that will boost you signal if you live in an area that requires it. when the compensator is installed one of the antenna leads plugs into the IN on the booster and the other on the OUT. BMW only installs this if the customer complains about signal loss or buys the part and asks them to install it. A lot of techs do not realize that the leads are not connected inthe trunk and only hook up the eject box in the center console. If I were you I would check there first. By the way....your phone loses signal in the cradle because most phones, when attached to anexternal antenna, bypass the normal antenna. Because you have no connection to an outside antenna you lose signal. If you need help finding the cabels in the back PM me and I can walk you through it.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Mar 31 2005, 08:11 PM
Part numbers installed today:
84 21 0 307 726 Snap in adapter (specific to Motorola v6xx, v5xx phones) ~ 96.00
51 16 7 139 000 Support ~ $109.00 (Option 644)
84 21 6 946 075 Eject box ~ $130.00 (not the same eject box used in the v60 CPT9000 mobile phone configuration).
And the local dealer charged me S$215 (US$130) for the snap-in adaptor (Siemens S65) And that's after a 10% less
Old 04-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ledbettm' date='Apr 1 2005, 07:28 AM
This is an installation error by the dealership. In the trunk on the driver side there is a panel close the the brake light. It has two (i think) clips that look like screw holding it in. If you remove thos screws you can pull the panel out with a firm tug. If you search for a few minutes you will find two antenna leads with FARKA connectors on the ends. One will have what looks like a large plug already inserted into the end. You have to remove this plug and connect the two antenna leads together. This will actually make th connection from the cradle to the sharkfin. A lot of people ask why the connection is not already made. To answer this...there is a part that you can buy called a compensator. This is a part that will boost you signal if you live in an area that requires it. when the compensator is installed one of the antenna leads plugs into the IN on the booster and the other on the OUT. BMW only installs this if the customer complains about signal loss or buys the part and asks them to install it. A lot of techs do not realize that the leads are not connected inthe trunk and only hook up the eject box in the center console. If I were you I would check there first. By the way....your phone loses signal in the cradle because most phones, when attached to anexternal antenna, bypass the normal antenna. Because you have no connection to an outside antenna you lose signal. If you need help finding the cabels in the back PM me and I can walk you through it.
[snapback]109781[/snapback]
Thanks, both service and I suspected something like that. As I said, the instructions were misplaced (SA has/had them) so tech was working in the dark so to speak. And I was their first attempt on any vehicle. Although I do not have same sharkfin antenna as a 5 series, I do have another antenna style and early versions had the compensator as well so the trunk wiring is the most suspect.

I'll take this thread print out with me on Monday as well.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Members

Great progress Cobradav!

Please keep us posted your next trial. We are pretty close...!!