Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Should I break down

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Yet another Bluetooth thread, but I know something useful and informative will come out it for everyone.

I have a 2004 545i with NAV. Verizon CDMA is my cell phone carrier and it really isn't practical for me to change. The only Bluetooth phone they have is the MOT V710 which I cannot be sure will work with the BMW ULF. I know it has issues transferring the phone book. But I don't know of anyone that has successfully used this phone in a 2004 BMW. Will there ever be a module for the 2004 E60? Will it be just a software upgrade? With all these questions, I thought I would post the pros and cons of breaking down and popping a ridiculous amount of cash for a CPT 9000.

PROS

1. It is guaranteed to work with the Idrive. No Sync issues
2. Its a trimode phone that has pretty good reception. I use the phone to talk. I Have no desire for camera or PIM or sms or games and MP3s or whatever other features are available now.
3. It will use the Sharkfin antenna for even better reception.
4. It will charge in the car.
5. I can get it now.

CONS

1. Its not BT so less convenient to have to dock the phone. (though not as bad as what I go through now, leaving the phone on the seat next to me and inserting a wired ear piece)
2. Its an old phone
3. The belt clip sticks out an inch. (this alone may be the deciding factor) I cannot stand that.
4. I don't want to wander into meatings with a phone clipped to my waist that says BMW in big letters. What I drive is V. Personal
5. Its very expensive.

Can any one add to these lists or provide feed back on my prospects for actually using the communications part of I-drive the way it was designed without the CPT9000
Old 10-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Hormazd:

I have the exact situation and bought the 710. It's an incredible phone, completely voice activated and has an incredible wireless headset available. With it, I'm not as concerned about a retro kit and would never spend the bucks on the ridiculously expensive and "old-tech" CPT.

I've actually had the phone cradle removed from the center armrest and it opens up a huge amount of space there. I leave the 710 in the door map pocket and wear the wireless headset. I can dial any number simple by speaking a name or set of numbers into the headset. So I don't miss having the phonebook downloaded into the car. Since I only use the voice commands and never use the 710's phonebook, I don't think I'd use the car's phonebook with this setup even if it was available.

The only thing that I don't have is the ability to charge the phone while in the cradle (no issue for me) or the ability to have the radio mute when a call is coming in (certainly a "nice to have"). But, all in all, the 710 with the wireless headset is a great solution.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

But guys, the big question for us with US my2004 models is whether there will be a BT retrofit available at all for us. So far, BMWNA has said they don't know. Have you heard otherwise?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 16 2004, 10:08 AM
But guys, the big question for us with US my2004 models is whether there will be a BT retrofit available at all for us. So far, BMWNA has said they don't know. Have you heard otherwise?
[snapback]45460[/snapback]
I don't think anyone really knows. I'm certainly more hopeful now that we've confirmed BT is available in MY05 US-spec E60s. If a retro-kit becomes available, I may still purchase it. But with my 710, I'll be more likely to pass if it costs too much.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Bluettoth Retrofit for the 04 e60 Rumor from BMW Corprorate

My sales rep called a good friend with BMW NA Corporate. He spent two days tracking down the status of the Bluetooth Retrofit for the 04 e 60. They are working on it. The requests for it help to speed them along because it equates to demand. So please request Bluetooth Retrofit Kit through your dealer. Unfortunately no projected date, of when this will be out, was given by the BMW contact.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 16 2004, 10:17 AM
Bluettoth Retrofit for the 04 e60 Rumor from BMW Corprorate

My sales rep called a good friend with BMW NA Corporate.? He spent two days tracking down the status of the Bluetooth Retrofit for the 04 e 60.? They are working on it.? The requests for it help to speed them along because it equates to demand.? So please request Bluetooth Retrofit Kit through your dealer.? Unfortunately no projected date, of when this will be out, was given by the BMW contact.
[snapback]45488[/snapback]

Thanks for sharing the rumor - but if BT is operable for MY2004, how hard can it be to roll out the retrofit?

I have question for Hinckley. Does the V710 wireless headset combo allow you to voice navigate through tekephone keypad menus? i.e. acess voice mail without having to pick up the handset and key in numbers.

I have th V600 (Cingular) and am considering wireless headset route ($80) vs. ($????) for the retrokit if and when it arrives.

Still bitter over no-BT.

Cheers and TIA.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Buster' date='Oct 16 2004, 11:40 AM
I have question for Hinckley.? Does the V710 wireless headset combo allow you to voice navigate through tekephone keypad menus?? i.e. acess voice mail without having to pick up the handset and key in numbers.

I have th V600 (Cingular) and am considering wireless headset route ($80) vs.? ($????) for the retrokit if and when it arrives.?

Still bitter over no-BT.

Cheers and TIA.
[snapback]45493[/snapback]
Buster:

You can pre-program commands to get you thru phone menus, but unfortunately, you cannot use the headset to, for example, delete a voice mail message and move on the next one. It is a downside to the setup.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 16 2004, 02:33 AM
... Verizon CDMA is my cell phone carrier and it really isn't practical for me to change.? The only Bluetooth phone they have is the MOT V710 which I cannot be sure will work with the BMW ULF.?

PROS

1. It is guaranteed to work with the Idrive. No Sync issues
2. Its a trimode phone that has pretty good reception.? I use the phone to talk.? I Have no desire for camera or PIM or sms or games and MP3s or whatever other features are available now.
3. It will use the Sharkfin antenna for even better reception.
4. It will charge in the car.
5. I can get it now.

CONS

1. Its not BT so less convenient to have to dock the phone.? (though not as bad as what I go through now,? leaving the phone on the seat next to me and inserting a wired ear piece)
2. Its an old phone
3. The belt clip sticks out an inch.? (this alone may be the deciding factor)? I cannot stand that.
4. I don't want to wander into meatings with a phone clipped to my waist that says BMW in big letters.? What I drive is V. Personal
5. Its very expensive.

Can any one add to these lists or provide feed back on my prospects for actually using the communications part of I-drive the way it was designed without the CPT9000
[snapback]45413[/snapback]
As far as your concerns go, I also have Verizon and have tried T-Mobile, ATT, Cingular in my area and the coverage is not nearly as good. I do know that T-Mobile has blue-tooth phone compatibility. I have a Sony Ericsson T39 tri mode world phone and a wireless headset adapter that I used when I had T-Mobile. I just lost reception in too many areas, my wife did as well with her phone so we switched to Verizon. I have the MOT V60s which I guess is what BMW says is the CPT9000. I have the BMW letters on it too. These can be changed out. Go to the Motorolla site and you can order new face plates that do not have this lettering. If yuo turn your phone on the side, with the antenna on the top side, look at the flip right at the top. If there is a tiny little piece of metal which is a clip is there, then you can change that faceplate.

I also do not like wearing a headset while driving, it bothers me, and I like the radio to mute when a call comes in so I can hear it (which by the way is another PRO). I wound up using the headset for about 3 weeks after I bought it and it was a bother to me. Also if you activate the bluetooth availability on my phone at least, the battery would drain in like 3 hours as compared to 7 days when used for about 15 minutes per day.

As far as docking it, you have to put your phone somewhere, weather it is in your pocket, in the door pockets, briefcase, seat beside you, so there is no diffeence to me to have to put it in there. It wont move all over the car when yuo go around turns and it will always be charged for you.

I also think that the added reception from the shark fin is a BIG PRO.

I agree about the clip. They do sell an NFL clip on the Motorola site that does not stick out, I don't like it but there must be a clip like that made by another manufaturer.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Smile

Verizon's moto v710 will not work in any BMW (or any other car) with Bluetooth functionality. Go to:

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html

to understand why. As a business decision Verizon has disabled the bluetooth feature to sync/use in cars. The phone made by Motorola can do it, but Verizon doesn't want you to. They may upgrade software at some point in the future but no clear plan at this time.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by pubsmeister' date='Oct 16 2004, 11:38 AM
Verizon's moto v710 will not work in any BMW (or any other car) with Bluetooth functionality. Go to:

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html

to understand why. As a business decision Verizon has disabled the bluetooth feature to sync/use in cars. The phone made by Motorola can do it, but Verizon doesn't want you to. They may upgrade software at some point in the future but no clear plan at this time.
[snapback]45560[/snapback]
I read that. Verizon has disabled primarily OBEX (Object Exchange). Which means you cannot sync with a computer. This maybe why the phone book will not transfer, but they have left the handsfree bluetooth and the phone does sync with ACURAs.

Skipper, do you have the CPT? It sounds like thats the sure way to go. I have a three year lease on this car. My next one will probably be a 550 and all these bugs will be worked out by then

Quick Reply: Should I break down