Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Samsung Phone that sends music to 5 Series is out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1126

Remember? From this article a while back...

http://ployer.com/archives/2005/10/_bmw_5series_to.php
Attached Thumbnails Samsung Phone that sends music to 5 Series is out...-samsung_idrive_bmw.jpg  
Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Would be excellent if something like this was available (a la the ever rumored bluetooth iPod). Issue is though whether the phone would simply transfer data to the car via bluetooth (i.e. send the car an mp3 file) or whether the phone streams audio to the car via bluetooth. The latter would be better as at a stroke it would allow playback of other formats (e.g. AAC, WMA etc). One question though would be bandwidth - assuming the car's *don't* have the 2.0 spec for Bluetooth would there be enough bandwidth to stream audio at decent rates?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by swajames' post='250853' date='Mar 6 2006, 07:41 PM
Would be excellent if something like this was available (a la the ever rumored bluetooth iPod). Issue is though whether the phone would simply transfer data to the car via bluetooth (i.e. send the car an mp3 file) or whether the phone streams audio to the car via bluetooth. The latter would be better as at a stroke it would allow playback of other formats (e.g. AAC, WMA etc). One question though would be bandwidth - assuming the car's *don't* have the 2.0 spec for Bluetooth would there be enough bandwidth to stream audio at decent rates?

It's the Bluetooth profile known as A2DP. Attached is a fairly recent version of the spec. There are lots of permutations - many that won't require too much bandwidth.

The interesting bit is that if the earlier version of this phone did in fact get integrated into the 5 series in the Korean market, then there is A2DP code floating around somewhere. That would mean that any A2DP device should work... and the list of devices (phones mostly) is growing rapidly.

A2DP isn't alien to BMW - they have it in their motorcycle division for in-helmet stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A2DP_spec_v10.pdf (1.74 MB, 872 views)