Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Samsung Galaxy S II on 2005 E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

Hello,

I've searched the forum and spent an hour on Google but haven't found an answer to this question: Will the Samsung Galaxy S II work on the E60?

Generally, I want the basic control of the phone from the steering wheel, ie: make and receive calls, and the phone book to update on my car.

Specifically, I had my 2005 E60 receive a firmware update in 2008 to enable MP3 and iPhone support. I'm currently using an iPhone 3G with no problems.

Note about iPhone: I hate the damn thing. It is just not suitable for work, so I'm going to change.

Thanks in advance,

virgil
Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

I drive a 2008 BMW 550 - Dinan Stage 1 and rock a Galaxy S II from Hong Kong (picked the phone up in Hong Kong and imported into the US). Bluetooth integration works like a charm.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

It should DEFINITELY work!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
It should DEFINITELY work!

Yuh ... it should ... trouble is, the only info I've found about connectivity between the S II and BMW is with the 3 series E90, where the guy claims he has no control of the phone from the steering wheel and no contact list on iDrive. Have you got a S II working with your 5 series?

When I was buying the iPhone 3G, nearly 3 years ago, there were plenty of other phones that did not work with my car. My Nokia N70 didn't and this was the reason I upgraded to iPhone. However, I really have been suffering because the iPhone is just not business savvy. So I'm getting rid of it. Whatever phone I get MUST be able to sync my MS Outlook contacts with the 5 series.

Cheers

virgil
Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

I've got a UK 2008 E60 and my SGS2 works flawlessly with it via Bluetooth. The address book is displayed within iDrive, the steering wheel call button will start/end call as well as redial the last number. I previously used it with the SGS1 and that also worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Members

yes,of course, it works
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Members

Thanks Techno,

Getting close to taking the plunge. I'm checking if any of my friends have one that we can test out. You wouldn't believe it, but I've tried three shops in Sydney, Australia, and none will bring a phone out to the parking lot to try it. I even offered to drive the car right through the shop window ... they don't seem to have a sense of humour, phone salesmen!

Cheers

virgil
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by virgil
Thanks Techno,

Getting close to taking the plunge. I'm checking if any of my friends have one that we can test out. You wouldn't believe it, but I've tried three shops in Sydney, Australia, and none will bring a phone out to the parking lot to try it. I even offered to drive the car right through the shop window ... they don't seem to have a sense of humour, phone salesmen!

Cheers

virgil
In an age of all kinds of opportunistic crime, I can totally understand why the phone salesmen would refuse to allow the phones to go out of the shop. The SGS1 and SGS2 have worked so flawlessly with my E60 that I've never had any issue at all. I love the fact that once paired to the car (a one off thing) I then don't have to do anything else each time I get in the car. Phone may be in my pocket (or even in the boot of the bar) and it'll just connect. It even gives a little phone signal reception on the idrive screen.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Members

I have a new AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2, and have been trying to get it to work reliably in a 2008 (e60) 528i without navigation. Its been a struggle. For a while it would not reliably connect (it when it had already been paired and previously working). From what I can tell, if it wont connect you can usually go into Settings>Applications>Running Services and kill both "Bluetooth PBAP" and "Bluetooth Share" and the Galaxy will start connecting (usually after about 2 minutes). Once connected, the phone book downloads perfectly and I do not have any further problems maintaining the connection.

What I am really struggling with is that anyone I call hears me fine when I am speaking, but they get a "wind tunnel" whooshing background sound whenever I stop speaking. The sound gets very loud as the car is moving faster and is really making the phone difficult to use (the car windows are closed, and the interior is actually pretty quiet except for some road noise). I'm starting to think it might be a microphone or echo cancellation problem with the car. The Galaxy has a "Noise Suppression" feature (you can enable it during a call), but it is not possible to enable it when using Bluetooth.

Would love to hear if anyone else has struggled with this and figured out a way to stop the problem.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 PM
New Members

I have E61 2006 and cant pair my SGS2 with 2.3.5 android. Both see each other but they just wont pair . Is there snap in cradle for SGS2 to use with the carphone cradle (ie. iphone has one).

Quick Reply: Samsung Galaxy S II on 2005 E60