Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Problem: Mobile Phone Not Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

I get a message on the Communications menu on occasion that states "Mobile phone not installed For Roadside Assistance please dial:18003324269" This message only appears at start up when I try to access the Communications menu. On the rare occasion that this happens I cannot clear this message from the Communications menu. I am also unable to access any part of the communications menu. The car must be turned off and restarted to rid the Idrive Communications menu of this message. I have tried two different Verizon phones (Motorola K1m, Blackberry Pearl 8130) and have had this message come up two or three times with each phone. I have brought this up to the dealer, they state that it is a problem with the phone as they are not currently approved by BMW. I take this message to mean that the SOS roadside assistance function/internal phone is not operable and that it has nothing to do with Bluetooth or my Cell. Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't think that message has to do with the paired phones. It sounds more like the car warning you that the SOS button won't work, etc.

The BlackBerry Pearl is an approved phone on AT&T and T-Mobile and is probably not on the Verizon list yet because it's new to Verizon, I think.

I just think the dealer is throwing out the "phone not approved" line because they're clueless...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Thanks Rudy, That was my guess as well. The message is very random when it does come up and I have yet to figure out how to duplicate it. I have brought it in when the message appears on the screen but they seem to think restarting the car is a viable fix, I however do not. I thought perhaps the problem was gone, as I haven't seen it in quite some time. But alas...FOILED!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

When this happens, does your paired BT phone still work? If not, then it might be a problem with a component like the TCU...
Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='494683' date='Nov 15 2007, 01:34 PM
When this happens, does your paired BT phone still work? If not, then it might be a problem with a component like the TCU...
I searched for this problem on the forum . The closest thing I could find was the SOS message people were getting which seemed to be remedied by replacing the TCU.
My Blackberry says it is paired to the car via BT. Sometimes on the idrive screen it even shows the phone icon. I can make a call from the phone but not the idrive. I will hear no sound through the car, no sound on the ear piece of the BB, but the screen on the BB shows the call is active. I have to disable BT on the BB to be able to hear the call through the BB. Hopefully you are able to decipher my double talk. Maybe I just need to drive it in to the dealership every time I have the message come up?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

If I were you, I'd see if you can get the message to come up without any phone being paired. If you can do that, it'll clear up any "muddy waters" that the dealer may have with regard to what the cause is since you'll be eliminating the phone from the mix altogether...
Old 11-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Rudy, I like your thinking... The car is in for service as we speak for a myriad of other small problems. I'll have to try that when I get it back, hopefully I get a day to play with the 335 they gave me.
My buddy has been giving me crap about how many times I've had the car in for service. He says " You should have bought a Lexus" he has a GS350. To which I respond " If I wanted a Toyota that handles like a marshmallow, I would have bought a Camry" Friendly banter, the GS is very nice. Truth be told he wanted an e60, his wife wanted a Lexus...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='494713' date='Nov 15 2007, 01:41 PM
Rudy, I like your thinking... The car is in for service as we speak for a myriad of other small problems. I'll have to try that when I get it back, hopefully I get a day to play with the 335 they gave me.
My buddy has been giving me crap about how many times I've had the car in for service. He says " You should have bought a Lexus" he has a GS250. To which I respond " If I wanted a Toyota that handles like a marshmallow, I would have bought a Camry" Friendly banter, the GS is very nice. Truth be told he wanted an e60, his wife wanted a Lexus...
Coincidentally, I've been enjoying a 335Xi loaner for the last few days...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='494853' date='Nov 15 2007, 05:02 PM
Coincidentally, I've been enjoying a 335Xi loaner for the last few days...
Sounds like you have a problem with the TCU. If the car is at the dealership they are going to do what they call a MOXA Box repair. They will attempt to re-program the TCU if the TCU doesn't accept the programming then they will replace
the TCU and that should resolve that problem. It is not a phone problem, even though those phones are not on the approved list they both work with no issues.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rob@JMK BMW' post='495167' date='Nov 16 2007, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you have a problem with the TCU. If the car is at the dealership they are going to do what they call a MOXA Box repair. They will attempt to re-program the TCU if the TCU doesn't accept the programming then they will replace
the TCU and that should resolve that problem. It is not a phone problem, even though those phones are not on the approved list they both work with no issues.
Rob, Thank you the response to an issue that has been driving me mental. I will definitely have them take a look at the TCU and do as you suggest. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: Problem: Mobile Phone Not Installed