Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Pre-March 04 build E60 Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrlominick' date='Mar 31 2005, 11:01 AM
Nevermind Sans, I clicked your bluetooth link and got the answer.
[snapback]109264[/snapback]
Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

I just got back in town and had a look at my car. The bluetooth is working. I made a quick call on it. I double, triple checked my car's build date by looking at the plate on the door. It says 11/03. The dealer says it DID NOT require a new TCU just a software upgrade. I will have to pay $176 for the programming, but I was all ready to plunk down $500 for the priviledge and a new TCU.

Only thing that hasn't happened so far is sync of my phone book with my Siemens S56 phone, but I will give that more time since I've read that it can take a while.

Pretty cool huh?

One more note: I do have the BMW assist option.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

I guess I should tell the whole story. I took it in to get the Aux audio added and to get a new TCU. Dealer told my wife that no TCU was needed after all with the new software and that it was all ready to go, but then I went out of town before I could pick it up. The wife picked it up and said there was no "bluetooth" menu on the I-Drive, so I figured, the dealer was wrong as usual. I already scheduled my appt for tomorrow to yell at him about it, but got back tonight and figured out that you have to activate the BT via the setup menu and not the "communications" menu which is why my wife did not see it, anyway, long story but good result.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Amazing - flies in the face of everything everybody wrote about BT and pre-march 04 U.S. E60s.

I know it's a lot to ask but if you could possibly find out any more information on exactly what they did, several of us would really appreciate it. Specifically;
- what was the software fix? (what version - 16.2?)
- was there absolutely zero hardware to be changed (i.e. the passkey card that came with the car wasn't useless after all).

You have given me hope that my last unresolved issue might be resolvable.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Mar 31 2005, 09:38 PM
Amazing - flies in the face of everything everybody wrote about BT and pre-march 04 U.S. E60s.

I know it's a lot to ask but if you could possibly find out any more information on exactly what they did, several of us would really appreciate it.? Specifically;
- what was the software fix? (what version - 16.2?)
- was there absolutely zero hardware to be changed (i.e. the passkey card that came with the car wasn't useless after all).

You have given me hope that my last unresolved issue might be resolvable.
Thanks
[snapback]109679[/snapback]
He had his TCU replaced.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

Well my car was build on 08/2003 and took it for the the BT option. My mshop foreman tried and NO CAN DO! i can not get sattleite no BT..just the stupid BMW assist. He said they will have to change all the wiring, anthenna plus a buch of stuuff and will cost me over 2k so here i'm... the latest software he installed was 15.2
Old 04-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Members

I know it flys in the face of EVERYTHING I have read too. I didn't beleive it until I saw it. The only other thing I can figure is that the mechanic changed the TCU but they are not charging me and not telling me they did it for some reason. I asked the guy today "so you didn't have to change the TCU after all", answer "no".

I do know you can't go by what the dealer says because they have said to me (in chronoligical order):

1. This car is bluetooth capable. I respond, "e60.net says it's not because of the build date".
2. (they go check) Oh, you're right you can't get BT on this car. I respond: "yes, you can but you have to buy a TCU".
3. (they go check) Right, you can buy the TCU but it's $1700 becaus of wiring and etc. I respond: "it shouldn't be that much, I already have the mic for BMWAssist, and other guys have gotten it for $500"
4. (they go check) You're right, it's only $700. I Respond: "you guys need to sell it to me for $500."
5. They say "ok, we will put in a new TCU for you" I say "ok"
6. They work on the car and then tell me "didn't need a TCU after all, just a software upgrade, which is only $170 for the labor hours"
7. I say "baloney!", but I pick up the car and there it is.
8. I say "you really didn't change the TCU?", they say "Nope".

Now my only issue is getting the phone to work 100%, but I'm sure it's a phone issue. I will open a post about that and see if anyone else has a solution.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wrlominick' date='Apr 1 2005, 07:50 AM
I know it flys in the face of EVERYTHING I have read too.? I didn't beleive it until I saw it.? The only other thing I can figure is that the mechanic changed the TCU but they are not charging me and not telling me they did it for some reason.? I asked the guy today "so you didn't have to change the TCU after all", answer "no".

I do know you can't go by what the dealer says because they have said to me (in chronoligical order):

1.? This car is bluetooth capable.? I respond, "e60.net says it's not because of the build date".
2.? (they go check) Oh, you're right you can't get BT on this car.? I respond:? "yes, you can but you have to buy a TCU".?
3.? (they go check) Right, you can buy the TCU but it's $1700 becaus of wiring and etc.? I respond:? "it shouldn't be that much, I already have the mic for BMWAssist, and other guys have gotten it for $500"
4.? (they go check) You're right, it's only $700.? I Respond: "you guys need to sell it to me for $500."
5.? They say "ok, we will put in a new TCU for you"? I say "ok"
6.? They work on the car and then tell me "didn't need a TCU after all, just a software upgrade, which is only $170 for the labor hours"
7.? I say "baloney!", but I pick up the car and there it is.?
8.? I say "you really didn't change the TCU?", they say "Nope".

Now my only issue is getting the phone to work 100%, but I'm sure it's a phone issue.? I will open a post about that and see if anyone else has a solution.
[snapback]109853[/snapback]
If it works you may have a production date in March 04 that is on the right side of the cusp.

If it doesn't and you can hear the other party but they can't hear you then you have the older TCU and its missing that one crucial pin that is needed.

You can code any E60 car for BT with new software and pair a phone and receive and send calls. you will hear the other party but they will not hear you with an older TCU.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

As being one of the unfortunate ones on the wrong side of the TCU cusp, I can confirm that what Hormaz is reporting is absolutely correct. My original TCU would permit pairing with my BT phone, Assist would work perectly, I coud receive calls and make calls but no one could hear my voice.

wrlominick, if you are able to be heard with a pre 03/04 build E60, I would go out and buy some lottery tickets before your good fortune runs out.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Members

You guys nailed it. It was hopefulness on my part and lack of ability to read the bulletins on my dealers part. I told them like 10 times this would not work but they kept insisting. I thought they had done it somehow when I found I could activate and place a call to my office phone. Didn't realize until the next day that I couldn't be hear don the other side. Drat.

Quick Reply: Pre-March 04 build E60 Bluetooth