Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Please Help....Followed all instructions from forum to the letter...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Team

OK, here the progress so far, sorry for the long post the detail is where the issue is no doubt...

1. Bought a mid year 04 545i and it came with the factory motorola handset
2. Deleted the motorola and successfully paired my K750i so its the only phone listed on the screen in the "i" menu
3. No joy re operation
4. Read on the forum that I need to update my handset, did this (K750 software version is now R10B001)
4. Had the airbag warning go off (Grrr seat mat was the cause)
5. Off to the local dealer (Team Mcs in New Market, Auckland New Zealand)
6. Had an excellent experience they really looked after me very well, I am sure they updated all the software as well as replacing various airbag components - as the car feels different (much better) + SOS appears on the screen in normal mode (any thoughts?)

Now the phone. I printed Rudy's quote (thanks for all your help so far...without it I wouldn't have got this far)
"If the hard-wired phone works with a SIM, then, as I said before, the dealer has to de-program it and double-check that the BT interface is fully activated..."
So I gave to the SA who passed it to the techs...

7. Now I get a nice graphic saying "insert SIM" when I switch to telephone in the i-drive (which suggests they have successfully uninstalled the motorola) the cradle is however still there.
8. Am I missing something? On my phone in "My Devices" I get BMW61155, but when I click on "Services" it says on the phone Service available no services listed....and when I turn on Handsfree on the phone it searches but no handsfree kit is available....

This suggests to me:

1. I am missing something really obvious (or hinden) in the config of either the car or the phone as this is the first time I've tried this in a car.
2. The tech didn't fully engage the Bluetooth or the old cradle is a problem? (My phone registers but doesn't go further)
3. My phone has the wrong Software
4. My Car has the wrong software

My business partners have a Razor and a Blackberry respectively I will try one of those today....this may eliminate some possible causes.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. (I keep thinking of another K750 user said on this board - keep trying I mean keep trying...)

Many thanks
stu
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't say for sure because of country specific issues but my bet is that if the car is saying "insert SIM" then the tech didn't disable the hard-wired phone. The crade can be present even with it disabled -- that's the way it was on my 3/2004 build car after they activated BT.

Did the dealer follow the BT service bulletin carefully? ("retrofit tel bluetooth") What month and year is your car's production date? (I assume you may have posted that somewhere else but I'm too lazy to look for it right now...)

Bottom line is that I don't think the car should be asking for any SIM if it's expecting a BT phone connection...
Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Rudy is 100% correct. You would be prompted to "insert SIM" only if the factory Motorola handset has either not been properly deleted, not been de-programed or both.

If the car is properly set up for BT connections, it will actually never prompt you for anything after the first successful pairing. subsequent pairing always happens in the background. Pairing the a properly operating phone (which you have) to a properly operating BT-enabled car (which we're not sure about now) is simplicity itself. Your descriptions seem to suggest the car not having been properly set up for it.

Also, once set up and paired correctly the first time, the only errors you would get from the I-Drive would be if it could not connect to the BT phone - this will show up only when you go into the "communications" page, at which point you would get a screen saying "no phone paired" or something to that effect.

Your BT seems to be properly engaged but the reason it will not be going further will most likely be the fact that the Motorola seems to still be active in some manner (hence you being prompted for a SIM card)

MacSid
Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Members

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for your help, for sure BT is enabled in my car (as I can easily get my phone listed take 1 second)

So it must be the final tweek in terms of disconnecting the Factory Phone (in the software)

Back to the dealer...

I will report as to how I get on

Many thanks once again
Stu
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MacSid
Rudy is 100% correct. You would be prompted to "insert SIM" only if the factory Motorola handset has either not been properly deleted, not been de-programed or both.

If the car is properly set up for BT connections, it will actually never prompt you for anything after the first successful pairing. subsequent pairing always happens in the background. Pairing the a properly operating phone (which you have) to a properly operating BT-enabled car (which we're not sure about now) is simplicity itself. Your descriptions seem to suggest the car not having been properly set up for it.

Also, once set up and paired correctly the first time, the only errors you would get from the I-Drive would be if it could not connect to the BT phone - this will show up only when you go into the "communications" page, at which point you would get a screen saying "no phone paired" or something to that effect.

Your BT seems to be properly engaged but the reason it will not be going further will most likely be the fact that the Motorola seems to still be active in some manner (hence you being prompted for a SIM card)

MacSid

Hi Macsid,

I am a french BMW driver ans I live in Paris.
A friend gave me your internet website because I bought a BMW 530D year 2004 (E61) and I have a huge issue with the bluetooth of my car. I have got on it the GPS Professional version and the factory motorola handset.

I try to connect my mobile phone sony ericson K750i.
Ater the process on I-Drive I can see that my mobile phone is fixed on the list of the phones twin, but I can not use the Sony Ericson. When I want to start my cellular with communication option on I-drive, I said me "Insert SIM card"

I went to the french BMW dealer, and guy explained me that I can not use other phone except the factory motorola handset. Also the guy confirmed me that my car doesn't accept other bluetooth phone because my BMW have got the first version of bluetooth option.

Please anybody could help me on the issue?
I can not understand why my car which have got the bluetooth option on the i-drive (found my cellular so) could not be update or other else.

My friend said me that on this forum users confirmed that we could do a suppression of the factory motorola handset?

Thanks for your help, and sorry my english is not still very well but I am working on the good way... I hope