Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Planning to swap my 6310i for a 6230i .....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

My reliable workhorse 6310i is due to be changed next month, and top of the list for its' replacement is the 6230i, generally being considered the "new" 6310.
When I ordered the e60 with the BT option, I was told by the dealer that I would only get limited useability when paired with my current phone, due to the BMW software really being designed for the new generation of mobiles that have much more advanced features.

However, having already trialled a 6230i paired with my e60, I am failing to find any extra features. Surprisingly the BMW BT software only seams able to cope with an address book stored in a SIMM type format (one name one number), rather than the "multi entry under one name" that I've been used to with my 6310i - I was hoping this feature would be present when using the 6230i Also, last number re-dial still only appears to be applicable to numbers dialled from the car (not recognising anything dialled previously from the phone) Dialling for retrieval of voice messages is also necessary throught the handset rather than the i-Drive :thumbsdown:

Am I missing something, or are there alternative phones that offer all the features when paired with the BMW BT? Or am I asking for the impossible?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

I know what you mean I was hoping to have a lot of nice features with my 6230i, but realitically all I have is address book (Simm card with 1 name 1 number), dialled and received nos (Only when taken in the car).

As BMW have been in bed with Motorolla for many years I believe that their phones are far more functional than Nokia's phones with BMW and i Drive. However it seems to be rare for people who have used Nokia for many years to migrate to Motorolla.

grinche
Old 01-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='222368' date='Jan 10 2006, 06:15 PM
I know what you mean I was hoping to have a lot of nice features with my 6230i, but realitically all I have is address book (Simm card with 1 name 1 number), dialled and received nos (Only when taken in the car).

As BMW have been in bed with Motorolla for many years I believe that their phones are far more functional than Nokia's phones with BMW and i Drive. However it seems to be rare for people who have used Nokia for many years to migrate to Motorolla.

grinche
Do you mean that only the address book on your SIM synchronizes with your car. My experience is that both the SIM and the phone memory get synchronized. I even use the SIM card that I only want to see when I'm in my car (mostly second number for a name).

Extra feature is that your SMS's do not get the "read" status while in your car. It shows you a message that you have new messages. I wish it would give a notice on my Idrive!!!
I would also like very much synchronization of dialled numbers and received/missed calls. Are there phones that do that with iDrive?

Can't you store a name with a number for your voicemail to be used for dialing your voicemail? I mostly use the voice-dialling for it......
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Eric525d' post='222426' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:00 AM
Do you mean that only the address book on your SIM synchronizes with your car. My experience is that both the SIM and the phone memory get synchronized. I even use the SIM card that I only want to see when I'm in my car (mostly second number for a name).

Extra feature is that your SMS's do not get the "read" status while in your car. It shows you a message that you have new messages. I wish it would give a notice on my Idrive!!!
I would also like very much synchronization of dialled numbers and received/missed calls. Are there phones that do that with iDrive?

Can't you store a name with a number for your voicemail to be used for dialing your voicemail? I mostly use the voice-dialling for it......
Sim or phone address book synchronises, but only the default number - if I have multiple entries, eg. home/work/mobile against 1 name, it is only possible to read the default number. Multiple entries is a feature of the phone, SIM cards can only match 1 name/1 number.

I don't even go there with SMS messages .......

I've considered including the dial number for my voicemail in my address book - easy fix - but I really did expect that feature to be in the i-Drive when you consider the claimed complexity of the system. If I include it, what will be the result with my voicemail requesting "press 1 to listen to message, press 2 ...." etc etc etc?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='222562' date='Jan 11 2006, 03:04 AM
I've considered including the dial number for my voicemail in my address book - easy fix - but I really did expect that feature to be in the i-Drive when you consider the claimed complexity of the system. If I include it, what will be the result with my voicemail requesting "press 1 to listen to message, press 2 ...." etc etc etc?
You can answer voicemail prompts but using the "keypad" through iDrive. Just press down on the controller while on a call and select keypad...
Old 01-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='222357' date='Jan 10 2006, 06:56 PM
My reliable workhorse 6310i is due to be changed next month, and top of the list for its' replacement is the 6230i, generally being considered the "new" 6310.
When I ordered the e60 with the BT option, I was told by the dealer that I would only get limited useability when paired with my current phone, due to the BMW software really being designed for the new generation of mobiles that have much more advanced features.

However, having already trialled a 6230i paired with my e60, I am failing to find any extra features. Surprisingly the BMW BT software only seams able to cope with an address book stored in a SIMM type format (one name one number), rather than the "multi entry under one name" that I've been used to with my 6310i - I was hoping this feature would be present when using the 6230i Also, last number re-dial still only appears to be applicable to numbers dialled from the car (not recognising anything dialled previously from the phone) Dialling for retrieval of voice messages is also necessary throught the handset rather than the i-Drive :thumbsdown:

Am I missing something, or are there alternative phones that offer all the features when paired with the BMW BT? Or am I asking for the impossible?
As noted by another poster, BMW have been a long standing partner of Motorola. For the last number of years I have been using Samsung products however I recently switched to the Motorola E815. The main reason for the switch was that my Cell phone provider " Bell Canada" only had one decent Cell phone that was bluetooth equipped which they introduced into the Canadian parket place this past November, I was waiting for this phone since February 05.

My 815 stores multiple numbers for each contact. If I have 3 numbers for a contact, home,work,cell , the contact is listed 3 times on my I-Drive screen with each number beside the name.

I also have my voice mail number programmed on I-Drive so in effect I can call my voice mail and then use the I-drive controller to enter my password number to gain access to my voice mail, however this is very distracting to do while driving and it is much easier to just use my cell phone keypad to enter the codes once I am connected to my voice mail. As a matter of fact, I was recently in a new 7 series and BMW includes a portable keypad that pops out of the dash much like the cupholders so that you can use a keypad for some of the functions without having to pull out your cell phone.

Another thing that I can do to gain access to my voice mail from I drive is to program my voice mail number and then include a few hard pauses followed by my voice mail code number, this will work but really, for me it is much easier to just use my cell phone keypad while connected to blue tooth. So my programming would look like the following (222) 123-4567 P P P P P 6789(Access code).

I do not have nav in my car, however since I got bluetooth, I have been able to take limited advantage of voice commands that are part of bluetooth set up. So I can used the buttons on my steering wheel to enter voice commands, such as "Call BOB" and call is automatically placed to BOB.

Although I am not a lover of Motorola products , I must admit that the E815 has been a very good phone, pairs well with E60 and allows me to take full advantage of interconnectivity to my car. Suggest you look into this to gain maximum benifits.

Gabman
Old 01-11-2006, 05:30 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='222617
Another thing that I can do to gain access to my voice mail from I drive is to program my voice mail number and then include a few hard pauses followed by my voice mail code number, this will work but really, for me it is much easier to just use my cell phone keypad while connected to blue tooth. So my programming would look like the following (222) 123-4567 P P P P P 6789(Access code).
The call can't be made from the car with the pauses included, it immediately drops out on starting to dial. Strangely it works perfectly using the pauses through the handset

Currently I've changed my PIN number to a simpler one to avoid crashing into the vehicle in front but I'll spend some more time experimenting. I'm trying to stick with Nokia when I change the phone, but maybe it's time to assess the alternatives such as the E815
Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='222674
You can answer voicemail prompts but using the "keypad" through iDrive. Just press down on the controller while on a call and select keypad...
Yep - works fine. A bit of a case of i-Drive = i-Crash but I may drop the PIN no. option anyway if it gets too much hassle

Originally Posted by gabman' post='222631' date='Jan 11 2006, 12:11 PM
The call can't be made from the car with the pauses included, it immediately drops out on starting to dial. Strangely it works perfectly using the pauses through the handset

Currently I've changed my PIN number to a simpler one to avoid crashing into the vehicle in front but I'll spend some more time experimenting. I'm trying to stick with Nokia when I change the phone, but maybe it's time to assess the alternatives such as the E815
[/quote]

Bobbin - Man

I am not sure if you realize or not that while you are connected to a call in your E60 Bluetooth, you can still use your keypad on your cell phone. So, if you dial your voice mail from I drive, you will hear your vocie mail greeting on the E60 handsfree speaker, at this point just punch in whatever codes or prompt you need to on your Cell phone keypad, you will hear sounds of you entering the numbers on your handsfree and you will then enter your voice mail, simply keep your phone in your hand and press 1 for new message, 7 for delete , 9 for save or whatever your codes are, I find that I do not even have to take my eyes off the road as I know where all the buttons are on my cell phone keypad, all the while you are still on hands free. At the conclusion of your call simply either press end on your cell phone or press down on the i drive controller and a window pops up to end the call.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:40 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='222710' date='Jan 11 2006, 03:40 PM
Bobbin - Man

I am not sure if you realize or not that while you are connected to a call in your E60 Bluetooth, you can still use your keypad on your cell phone. So, if you dial your voice mail from I drive, you will hear your vocie mail greeting on the E60 handsfree speaker, at this point just punch in whatever codes or prompt you need to on your Cell phone keypad, you will hear sounds of you entering the numbers on your handsfree and you will then enter your voice mail, simply keep your phone in your hand and press 1 for new message, 7 for delete , 9 for save or whatever your codes are, I find that I do not even have to take my eyes off the road as I know where all the buttons are on my cell phone keypad, all the while you are still on hands free. At the conclusion of your call simply either press end on your cell phone or press down on the i drive controller and a window pops up to end the call.
I've used this method a few times. However, due to my intended change of handset next month, I'm not setup with the cradle insert for my 6310i - I've held off until I swap phone and then I'll fit the specific one for the new phone. Problem is that rather than the handset always sitting in the cradle and being accessible, it can be in my briefcase, coat pocket, trouser pocket etc etc . I've even made calls whilst my briefcase has been in the boot (trunk)! I guess when the new kit's fitted I'll be happy to use a combination of i-Drive and handset controls as you suggest
Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I just use the number entry on the i-Drive to access my voicemail - with the 6230i sat in its holder.

Quick Reply: Planning to swap my 6310i for a 6230i .....