Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone options - help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I can't get bluetooth at the moment. And when it does become available, it's liable to be an expensive retrofit, so here are my options:

1) Use a bluetooth headset

Not sure these are 100% legal on the UK's roads, and they are not totally comfortable on my ear.

2) Get a traditional "wired" handsfree kit. Work are offering me a Nokia 6100+car kit

3) Get the Nokia Advanced Car Kit, which is the little Bluetooth button thing, along with full mic/speaker system.

3 (and 2 I suppose) claim that they will integrate with the the radio and mute it when a call comes in, but due to the presumably proprietory nature of i-drive, I can't see this being possible.

Does anyone here have experience of putting a traditional third-party handsfree in their E60?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Talking

Why can't you have the bluetooth option?
It's the best option in my opinion. Wasn't available at the moment you closed your order?
Do you have you car delivered? Can't you try to change that option if the car is not ready yet?

It was my last option to close my order.
It costs around 800 EUR (plus VAT) here in Portugal, plus the cradle (85 EUR) and the phone SE T610 (35 EUR, vodafone contract).

I have the information that you can install it later. I was a litlle confuse with the phone options. My dealer informed me that it can be installed later. They have installed in a X5 (2003) last month, the problem is the cost, around 2.000 EUR.
In the E60 after install it you have to upgrade the software.
That was the reason to choose the factory bluetooth equipment.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 12 2004, 10:08 PM
Why can't you have the bluetooth option?
Professional Navigation and Bluetooth are currently incompatible in Europe
Old 04-12-2004, 02:13 PM

Talking

I heard something about the NOKIA's not being compatible with the bluetooth system in the E60 and other cars. It seems that they are "pressing" customers to buy their one bluetooth kits or regular car kits.
Here at home all the mobile phone were NOKIA until now(3310,3410,1100,6200,6100).....

I had no choice, SE T610.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

There are no problems getting the Nokia to work with Bluetooth - but there was a delay supplying the eject box for it. All this is irrelevant though, I cannot have BMW bluetooth yet, because I have Pro Nav.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

Be patient. A couple of months and the answer is there.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:09 AM
dvw
Members

I'm in the same situation as browellm.

I ordered a 530d with NavPro. At the time I ordered (end january 04) I was told that NavPro and BT could not work together. So I ordered the professional phone. <_<

Tuga:
Be patient. A couple of months and the answer is there.

What do you mean? Will both options work together? Does it mean I could install BT afterwards? I need to be sure on this one, because for the moment I have BMW's Professional Phone on order to help me out (I can still change my order at least until friday)

Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

dvw - the general consensus from the UK dealers is there there is going to be a massive s/w upgrade around September time, Week 36 production. This will mean *all* option work with each other. I think this is what tuga meant.

The bluetooth retrofit for people without Pro Nav is AVAILABLE NOW.

Wether the retrofit for people like you and me becomes available remains to be seen. I suspect it will be pricey though ~ ?550 - parts ?900 labour is the quoted price at the moment.

Also - have you had a discussion with your dealer about Voice Control. Remember we were supposed to get it as standard by having Pro Nav. Again this is a Week 36 fix. I wonder if we will get a discounted retrofit. I have no button next to the i-drive menu, but the one on the steering wheel is there of course.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:49 AM
dvw
Members

I took the decision this afternoon to change my order:

Instead of using the BMW Professional Phone, I ordered Prewiring for BT.
My dealer confirmed me that in june/july a software-update would enable BT combined with Nav-Pro.

The only thing I had to consider was to order the armrest seperately as it is part of the professional phone.

So, in week 18 my car will go in production, delivery 2 weeks later. <_<

Hopefully, bmw sticks to their promise to enable BT in combination with NavPro.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Members

DVW,

Do you mean you the sliding armrest?

I believe that this is also standard with the BT Phone Prep.

Regards,
Phil.

Quick Reply: Phone options - help me decide