Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone Cradle- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:32 PM
ipp
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I've been reading and tried to understand how the Bluetooth phone works. Seems pretty neat! My dealer told me to take the BMW Professional phone. With Pro Phone it's the other way around. I insert the SIM card in the armrest department and if I don't want to talk speakerphone I can lift the BMW Bluetooth handy in the armrest. So everytime I step in to the car I turn off my carried phone and my calls are automaticly transfered to the car. Is the Pro Phone only for the euro market? And; did my dealer fool me to not take the cheaper Bluetooth alternitive?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I probably should not comment on this since I don't drive an e60 (yet), but not having a cradle is unacceptable, especially in a BMW. It is so much cleaner and convenient to be able to just snap my phone into the cradle that holds the phone in place. When I have not had a phone with a cradle, it was a drag to have to plug it in and have it laying around, sliding around, and in the way with the cord stretched across here and there. The cradle I have allows for snap in and one button release. Without the cradle, the plug was always laying on the floor or between the seat or somewhere I did not want it.

Do yourself a favor and get a cradle. Just my lowly opinion.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributors

I have v600 with T-mobile, like original post. Last month installed the snap-in adapter myself. Took about 1-2 hours but was pretty easy (step by step instructions in DIY forum). Impressions after a few weeks: the charging is great. It's nice to not have the phone and charger cord lying around on a seat. Reception is definitely improved but not super. I suspect this may have more to do with the T-mobile network in my area. I just got a v551 from Cingular for my wife, will see how the reception compares (big advantage- the v600 and v551 use the same adapter!). In summary, it's nice, but not necessary and depends on whether you have about $230 burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='May 4 2005, 07:28 PM
I probably should not comment on this since I don't drive an e60 (yet), but not having a cradle is unacceptable, especially in a BMW. It is so much cleaner and convenient to be able to just snap my phone into the cradle that holds the phone in place. When I have not had a phone with a cradle, it was a drag to have to plug it in and have it laying around, sliding around, and in the way with the cord stretched across here and there. The cradle I have allows for snap in and one button release. Without the cradle, the plug was always laying on the floor or between the seat or somewhere I did not want it.

[snapback]124185[/snapback]
I have the RAZR V3. A cradle is a complete waste of time. I just get in my car and drive. The phone remains in my pocket. That was whole point of BT. I was fed up of plugging and docking.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='May 4 2005, 09:28 PM

The beauty of bluetooth is you don't need a cradle. You don't need to plug it into anything. You leave your phone in your pocket or your briefcase in the backseat or wherever. Unless you drive on very long trips that would totally deplete your battery you don't need any wires at all. I charge my phone at home, I didn't even bother buying a car charger - I just don't need it.

Do yourself a favor, save the money and skip the cradle. Just my lowly opinion.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Sans' date='May 5 2005, 09:14 AM
[quote name='markt540i' date='May 4 2005, 09:28 PM']I probably should not comment on this since I don't drive an e60 (yet), but not having a cradle is unacceptable, especially in a BMW. It is so much cleaner and convenient to be able to just snap my phone into the cradle that holds the phone in place. When I have not had a phone with a cradle, it was a drag to have to plug it in and have it laying around, sliding around, and in the way with the cord stretched across here and there. The cradle I have allows for snap in and one button release. Without the cradle, the plug was always laying on the floor or between the seat or somewhere I did not want it.

The beauty of bluetooth is you don't need a cradle. You don't need to plug it into anything. You leave your phone in your pocket or your briefcase in the backseat or wherever. Unless you drive on very long trips that would totally deplete your battery you don't need any wires at all. I charge my phone at home, I didn't even bother buying a car charger - I just don't need it.

Do yourself a favor, save the money and skip the cradle. Just my lowly opinion.
[snapback]124411[/snapback]
[/quote]
For some of us not in the middle USA the added signal strength means the difference of dead spots (no phone use) or not. In my case it gives me 100% use of my phone in the car versus about 70% without cradle. Plus in my particular case the phone stays in the car with or without me as I cannot bring any electronic device or even recordable media into the work place. It's all in what your needs are - no pat answer for everyone.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='May 5 2005, 10:26 AM
For some of us not in the middle USA? ? the added signal strength means the difference of dead spots (no phone use) or not.? In my case it gives me 100% use of my phone in the car versus about 70% without cradle.? Plus in my particular case the phone stays in the car with or without me as I cannot bring any electronic device or even recordable media into the work place.? It's all in what your needs are - no pat answer for everyone.
[snapback]124419[/snapback]
Agreed.
I am trying to hold back making Florida jokes. But if I were to make one (and having lived in Naples I feel like it's my right) I would have quoted The Simpsons:
Doctor: What you need is a good long rest. I suggest Florida.
Homer: Florida? But that's America's wang.
Doctor: They prefer "The Sunshine State".
Old 05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Sans' date='May 5 2005, 12:13 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='May 5 2005, 10:26 AM']For some of us not in the middle USA? ? the added signal strength means the difference of dead spots (no phone use) or not.? In my case it gives me 100% use of my phone in the car versus about 70% without cradle.? Plus in my particular case the phone stays in the car with or without me as I cannot bring any electronic device or even recordable media into the work place.? It's all in what your needs are - no pat answer for everyone.
[snapback]124419[/snapback]
Agreed.
I am trying to hold back making Florida jokes. But if I were to make one (and having lived in Naples I feel like it's my right) I would have quoted The Simpsons:
Doctor: What you need is a good long rest. I suggest Florida.
Homer: Florida? But that's America's wang.
Doctor: They prefer "The Sunshine State".

[snapback]124515[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yea, I'm one of the typical transplants so WANG away
Old 05-05-2005, 01:18 PM
NES
Members

prob has been asked before but i cant seem to locate it... are there different cradles for different phones or is it universal? if yes, than how can part numbers be found? thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NES' date='May 5 2005, 03:18 PM
prob has been asked before but i cant seem to locate it...? are there different cradles for different phones or is it universal?? if yes, than how can part numbers be found?? thanks guys!?
[snapback]124573[/snapback]
Then lets give u what u need.

ADAPTER SIEMENS S65 84210392326
ADAPTER ERICSSON T610 84210304298
ADAPTER SIEMENS S55 84216935653
ADAPTER NOKIA 6310I 84210304651
ADAPTER MOTOROLA V6xx/V5xx 84210307726

Quick Reply: Phone Cradle- worth it?