Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone Cradle- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 06:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lot of deliberation, trial (and mostly) error I settled on a Motorola V600 with T-Mobile as my carrier. The phone works great in my car, Bluetooth seems to function well, and I am even getting voice commands to work. Currently, I plug the phone into the adapter in the passenger's seat well, and store the phone in that little web thingy along the left. Is it really worth getting the cradle at this point? Is there any reception advantage? I am gathering that it will cost hundreds of dollars to purchase and install the cradle- am I correct? The phone cost all of $99 (considering it has the same guts as the Razr, a bargain!).

And does anyone get the impression that this is turning into the E60 BlueTooth forum?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

"And does anyone get the impression that this is turning into the E60 BlueTooth forum?"

I get the impression its turning into a CIP software update forum

As for the cradle, I would invest in one due to the better reception and charging while driving, should be well worth it for long trips.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put some thought into this...
The way I figure, the cradle kind of defeats the putpose of having bluetooth. The Bluetooth "wireless" connection is supoose to future proof the communications system of the car. If you put in a cradle, yes you migh get better signale and cradel charging, but it still won't charge when the cars off. So like me, you may have to bring it in to charge it anyway since my trips are not long enough to keep it charged and on.

Additionaly, if you change phones you mostlikely will have to change cradles.

Seams more hassel and expense then it truly worth. ( I do give it for cool factor.

I voted No for the cradle and elect to leave it in my pocket.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by noonehome' date='Apr 21 2005, 06:51 AM
I have put some thought into this...
The way I figure, the cradle kind of defeats the putpose of having bluetooth. The Bluetooth "wireless" connection is supoose to future proof the communications system of the car. If you put in a cradle, yes you migh get better signale and cradel charging, but it still won't charge when the cars off. So like me, you may have to bring it in to charge it anyway since my trips are not long enough to keep it charged and on.

Seams more hassel and expense then it truly worth. ( I do give it? for cool factor.

[snapback]118074[/snapback]
I have to agree here. Thye only functionality that sets apart a BT phone from the CPT system is that it does not need to be docked. It's in my pocket all the time and on long drives I just plug it into the car charger in my glove box. With the coverage of major carriers improving on a daily basis, I really think the reception of the handset is adequate.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 21 2005, 10:00 AM
[quote name='noonehome' date='Apr 21 2005, 06:51 AM']I have put some thought into this...

Seams more hassel and expense then it truly worth. ( I do give it? for cool factor.

[snapback]118074[/snapback]
I have to agree here. Thye only functionality that sets apart a BT phone from the CPT system is that it does not need to be docked. It's in my pocket all the time and on long drives I just plug it into the car charger in my glove box. With the coverage of major carriers improving on a daily basis, I really think the reception of the handset is adequate.
[snapback]118079[/snapback]
[/quote]

I third the motion. If you don't have long trips (my drive to work is 15-20 min) you don't need the cradle. My battery lasts for days and I'm pretty good about charging it at home. Heck, I didn't even get a car charger this time - I just don't need it. You might get a *slight* increase in signal strength but I doubt it would be enough to be noticed. Enjoy the wireless aspect, don't fight it
Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

thanx guys.... stumbled on this post by chance.... i was debating the same.... im going to purchase a bt phone today... v710 from verizon... been happy with them ,, with the v60 good recept. when i traven... so im hoping this phone would be good........ man i love this forum
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

This is an advice that came from an information leaflet being issued by the Health Promotion Department and the Campaign for Awareness on Radiation Emissions (CARE), in an attempt to educate the public on safer use of mobile phones.

The leaflet advises the public not to use the phone when reception is weak because this would mean the handset needs more power to communicate with the base station and so the radio wave emissions will be higher.

Also try to carry the phone away from your body and avoid keeping it close to your chest, in a shirt pocket or in your trousers, especially if your phone has a high SAR value.

Money can't possibly buy what damage the phone can potentially do to you - and unlike the others, I opted for the cradle - and it costs US$130.00 here as oppose to US$90.00 in the States

Even when the phone is not in the cradle, its somewhere on the dash!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ericdbs' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:49 AM
thanx guys.... stumbled on this post by chance.... i was debating the same.... im going to purchase a bt phone today... v710 from verizon... been happy with them ,, with the v60 good recept. when i traven... so im hoping this phone would be good........ man i love this forum
[snapback]118095[/snapback]
Make sure they give you a firmware update on the V710 before you leave the store. No E60 compatibility without it.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

I personally like the idea of the cradle (snap-in adapter) since it puts the phone out of the way, is charged all the time, gets a better reception through the sharkfin, and gives your car a more professional appearance. Of course this is just my own opinion and since I don't mind spending the extra cash for this set-up, I'll be having the snap-in adapter installed just before they deliver the car. Y'all have a great day!

vr

Bob
Old 04-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 21 2005, 09:13 AM
[quote name='ericdbs' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:49 AM']thanx guys.... stumbled on this post by chance.... i was debating the same.... im going to purchase a bt phone today... v710 from verizon... been happy with them ,, with the v60 good recept. when i traven... so im hoping this phone would be good........ man i love this forum
[snapback]118095[/snapback]
Make sure they give you a firmware update on the V710 before you leave the store. No E60 compatibility without it.
[snapback]118103[/snapback]
[/quote]

thanks hormazd.....appreciate it...

Quick Reply: Phone Cradle- worth it?